Prediction 2021 Best 22

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
How does c brown transition the ball from defence? He can’t kick
yes whilst kicking is an extremely critical skill doesn't paint the whole picture. he has the same and or better kicking averages then the likes of.

Z Williams / J Kelly / C Oliver / P Cripps / J Kennedy / Z Merret / D Sheed ( out of all Fffing people ) / Nat Fyfe / C Wingard / A treloar / T kelly. . the list goes on.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Isn't Bianco still getting match fitness? I genuinely can't remember. I also recall him lacking footspeed. Hopefully Dib can become that small defender we want. I like the Crisp - Adams - Maynard line in the middle. Time to start winning some games in the middle

Hasn't even resumed at VFL level yet.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Time to play kids for rest of the season.

B: Quaynor Roughhead Bianco
HB: Noble Moore Howe
C: Crisp Adams Maynard
HF: Sidebottom Mihocek McCreery
F: De Goey Cameron Elliott
R: Grundy Pendlebury Daicos
INT: Macrae Henry Rantall Murphy

Some comments:
At the moment we have a big problem finding a lockdown small defender. Maynard is in horrible form. He needs to be freed up and play on wing. I'm calling up Bianco to play this role

The following players should spend the rest of the season in VFL:
Mayne, Greenwood, Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott, Sier, Magden, Cox - These players have no future at the club. I've had enough of Hoskin-Elliott and Sier's inconsistencies. They should not be gifted games.

T. Brown - Needs to work on his midfield craft in VFL.
C.Brown - Needs to be trialled as a small defender in VFL as he isnt going to make it as a small forward or midfielder.
Kelly - Play him as full back and keep him there for the entire season. He's Roughead long term replacement.
Keane, Ruscoe - Dont understand why they were gifted AFL games. They arent very good.

Getting the bolded out of the medical room and available for selection not a consideration?

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Treloars 35 meaningless touches won't be missed. Daicos will step into that midfielder role this year and show us how it's done.

Funnily enough, Stevo's the only one where not missing of the 3 at the moment. McCreery has picked up most of that slack.

Daicos 1st full game in the guts against the Bombers and he's showed he certainly has the potential to be a very good inside/outside mid. Might need a bit more time to catch Treloar. Mind you, he didn't have Adams, JDG and Elliott doing the heavy lifting.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sav Rocca aside, who can forget names like Ben Wilson, Lee Walker, Jason Taylor and Brent Tuckey, before Anthony and Taz came on board. At their feet were guys like Patterson, Jason Wild and Barnett. I'm sure there are others I've permanently erased from memory. Any wonder we didnt play finals for 8 years.

In respect to the current players, I actually think they're ok 1 on 1 and on paper, but its when we move the ball slowly that we look very ordinary. Geelong aside, we were 2 goals aside worse off offensively. I think we can make that up easily if De Goey plays a full year while our defense remains solid.
There was nothing wrong with Lee Walker as a player. But for injuries, he could have been a star.

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
I'd like to see us finish the season like this IF injuries heal and players develop/find form
Howe Roughead Maynard
Quaynor Moore Crisp
Murphy Daicos Poulter
Elliott Cameron Mihocek
McCreery DeGoey Sidebottom
Grundy Adams Pendlebury
Noble, Kelly, Macrae, Sier
SUB TylerB
Emergency - Henry, Bianco, Keane, Rantall

Last edited:

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
yes whilst kicking is an extremely critical skill doesn't paint the whole picture. he has the same and or better kicking averages then the likes of.

Z Williams / J Kelly / C Oliver / P Cripps / J Kennedy / Z Merret / D Sheed ( out of all Fffing people ) / Nat Fyfe / C Wingard / A treloar / T kelly. . the list goes on.
And he spends most of his time forward of center where it is harder to actually execute kicking skills.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Assuming we get no injuries. This is what I'd like to see post-bye. And yes, I've robbed Peter to pay Paul but the addition of Jeremy Howe will offset this. And if it fails, I believe this puts us in a better position for the future.

B. J.Howe/J.Roughead/I.Quaynor
HB. CL.Brown/W.Kelly or M.Keane/N.Murphy
R. B.Grundy/S.Pendlebury/T.Adams
C. J.Daicos/B.Maynard/J.Crisp
HF. B.Mihocek/D.Moore/S.Sidebottom
F. J.Elliott/D.Cameron/J.De Goey
int. J.Noble/F.Macrae/B.McCreery/J.Rantall, C.Poulter, T.Brown or T.Bianco

For the next month or so, I think we should start going with:

Maynard —> Midfield
Sidebottom —> Forward
Ruscoe —> VFL or Back

Cox, Mayne, Greenwood to bow out.
Madgen to VFL once Howe returns.

Cameron to play forward/ruck.
Kelly to play every game down back alongside Moore and Roughead.

Adams and Elliott to return midfield and forward when available.

Murphy and WHE the starting wings.

Crisp, Noble and Quaynor rebounding off half-back. Poulter to join the rotation when ready.

Pendlebury to remain in the middle alongside predominantly Maynard, Daicos, Macrae with stints from C Brown, Rantall, Thomas and Sier if we choose to go that way. McIness when ready.

I reckon Cameron, De Goey, Checkers, Sidebottom, C Brown and McCreery would be able to kick a fair few goals. The latter two would have instructions to get front and centre every time and tackle relentlessly. McCreery can lead out further from goal though, Cal shouldn’t roam beyond 35m. Josh Thomas to divide time between forward and midfield.

Presti played a while back now, and while we didn’t use him for kick outs, if he threw the boot at a ball it would land somewhere outside the opposition’s set shot distance.

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
IMO JDG needs to be parked at FF, he is still our most damaging forward and, outside of the occasional Mihocek haul, our best chance of kicking multiple goals consistently. I think we need to give up on the pipe dream of him being a 25 dpg and 30+ goal season player and have him focus purely on what he can do and has done in the past, that being a 40-50 goals a season forward.

Make a decision on Moore and stick with it. Not just for 2021 but going forward, if he is the KPF of the future leave him there - if not return to CHB. We aren't challenging this year so no point using him as a stop-gap FWD for 2021 only, commit long term to an end for him and leave him there. For mine his best footy is at CHB and hopefully we can fill the KPF hole either through the draft or looking at someone like Weid. While Roughy has been wonderful since arriving at the club, throughout the remainder of 2021 I'd like to see as much of Kelly and Keane as possible.

Play our actual midfielders in the midfield. Steele to a HFF and give me Rantall, Macrae, Sier, Daicos and T. Brown in the middle with Pendles and Adams (when he returns), with Poulter and Murphy/Wilson out on the wings. The likes of Thomas going into the midfield won't get us anywhere and only slows the growth of our young mids, give the youngsters free reign to push forward and play attacking footy and move the ball quickly.

Quaynor, Keane/Kelly, Maynard
Crisp, Moore, Howe/Wilson/Murphy

Grundy, Pendlebury, Daicos
Poulter, Adams, Murphy/Wilson

Sidebottom, Cameron, Mihocek
McCreery, De Goey, Elliott/Henry

Rantall, Sier, T. Brown, ? (ideally another youngster)

Back