Prediction 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most peoples B22's are similar.

The main thing here is getting Ainsworth, Petrucelle, Ah Chee types out of the side.

Carrying some trash depth into the final cost us bad, and we've done marvelously to improve our best 18-22 players by adding Langdon and Withers for nothing.

Nathan Schmook has done his B22 on AFL.com -

EF12759E-8EFC-4C0C-810C-225D740FE7C1.jpeg

Same 22 as me (smart fella Schmooky), some minor positional changes.

Basically the main variations involve ‘The Rotham/Nelson Variable’ and working out a way to play both Bailey Williams and Oscar Allen in the same team with Naitanui and Kennedy.

Hard to work out if such a ‘settled’ 22 is a good thing or shows our depth is getting pretty slim.

In reality though I think:

* Langdon won’t be a walk up start and will need a good pre-season. Petrucelle, Cameron and yes, Ah Chee, will all be in the frame for this spot. Jones a further step back but WAFL form early will be the key for him.

* Witherden is in a similar spot really - will need to show up ready to roll to slot into a pretty settled backline. In a tangle with Rotham most of all I think, but probably Brander too if they are determined to swing him back.

* Williams best chance to play regular football next year involves an injury (or let’s face it, retirement) to Kennedy, Naitanui or Allen. He’s next man in if any of those 3 go down.

* Most Likely to Drop out of B22 - Other than the contested spots mentioned above, I think it’s going to most interesting to see how Jack Redden and Jamie Cripps progress next season. Can they regain their best form or if they don’t bounce back after disappointing 2020 seasons (by their standards), are they squeezed out for younger options like O’Neill or Ainsworth in the middle - or getting more football into Petrucelle and co. across half forward.

Love this time of the year - The Sporting Vortex between footy and cricket - allows you to really focus on those 18-22 positions 🤪😅

Some edgy statements that I believe in (given I don't think we win the flag in 2021).

Hurn shouldn't be getting games over Rotham next year. If this means he is sidelined, so be it.

I feel the same about Kennedy in 2021. Allen should be a permanent forward next year, and Williams should be getting regular games. If this means Kennedy retires midseason, or is left out for away games, so be it. Waterman warrants regular games too, which complicates matters.

I don't see a spot for Brander, but his best bet is KPD in the WAFL in case Barrass or McGovern goes down with an LTI. Even then, having him against some top forwards would make me very nervous.

Redden's spot in the side is only made safe by our lack of midfield depth. He's safer in the side if Simpson uses Kelly and Shuey on the outside more, as i50 and goal kicking weapons, but I'm not convinced that change will be made.

The old chestnut, that Duggan has to be a permanent mid for me.

Let's see what happens hey. Maybe we win the flag and you can all chortle at this list. But I don't see it.

I've changed my best 22 since I read that it's likely to revert back to 20 min quarters next year. For mine it means Williams needs to be in the side because I don't want Allen getting beaten up in the ruck for 40% of each game. He needs to be in the forward line.

Nelson ever so slightly gets the nod over Cole. Witherden needs to earn his spot but I believe at some stage he will. Brander will play a decent lot of games but won't cement his spot yet, Rotham is ahead of him. Duggan transitions into the midfield and Reddo gets pushed out. This means the midfield needs to perform as Redden and ONeill will be putting the pressure on.

Langdon gets in easy if Cameron has a poor preseason. If Cameron is fit and firing he gets the nod instead.

Waterman over Petch and Ah Chee. I'm a big fan of Petch and hopefully being able to hone his craft in the WAFL will make all the difference and he will put pressure on the small forwards.

Hurn Barrass Shep
Nelson Gov Witherden
Duggan Shuey Gaff
Cripps Darling Allen
Ryan JK Langdon
NN Kelly Yeo
Williams Sheed Rotham Waterman

I've changed my best 22 since I read that it's likely to revert back to 20 min quarters next year. For mine it means Williams needs to be in the side because I don't want Allen getting beaten up in the ruck for 40% of each game. He needs to be in the forward line.

Nelson ever so slightly gets the nod over Cole. Witherden needs to earn his spot but I believe at some stage he will. Brander will play a decent lot of games but won't cement his spot yet, Rotham is ahead of him. Duggan transitions into the midfield and Reddo gets pushed out. This means the midfield needs to perform as Redden and ONeill will be putting the pressure on.

Langdon gets in easy if Cameron has a poor preseason. If Cameron is fit and firing he gets the nod instead.

Waterman over Petch and Ah Chee. I'm a big fan of Petch and hopefully being able to hone his craft in the WAFL will make all the difference and he will put pressure on the small forwards.

Hurn Barrass Shep
Nelson Gov Witherden
Duggan Shuey Gaff
Cripps Darling Allen
Ryan JK Langdon
NN Kelly Yeo
Williams Sheed Rotham Waterman
Side is too tall, especially with rotations being further limited. Unbalanced.

Would we consider playing Waterman down back in a Birchall type role for a year until JK retires?

Impossible to see how we can fit Allen, Williams and Waterman all playing regularly what retaining our five main KPP - NN, JK, JD, TB and Gov.

Obviously injuries will give them opportunities, whilst it wouldn't surprise me if JK misses numerous away games.

We also have Rotham and Brander at ~194cm playing non KPP roles whenever they get selected.

It's just too tall.

We should have won the flag and Kennedy and Hurn should have retired. They wouldn’t have played on if we did and our B22 would be a lot easier to design.

Waterman needs to do what Brander did this year and try and become a running wingman. Although I’m not sure if he’d fare that much better.

We should have won the flag and Kennedy and Hurn should have retired. They wouldn’t have played on if we did and our B22 would be a lot easier to design.

Waterman needs to do what Brander did this year and try and become a running wingman. Although I’m not sure if he’d fare that much better.
Based on your proposal, this should be the best 22 (and I agree with you)

Nelson Barrass Shep
Rotham Gov Witherden
Duggan Shuey Gaff
Cripps Darling Waterman
Ryan Allen Langdon
NN Kelly Yeo
Williams Sheed Waterman Cameron

I agree, should have just won the flag, would have been much better.

My 22 based on Yeo missing a large chunk of next season.

FB Hurn Barrass Rotham
HB Witherden McGovern Sheppard
C Duggan Sheed Gaff
HF Cripps Darling Langdon
FF Allen Kennedy Ryan
R Naitanui Shuey Kelly
I Redden Cole Williams/Waterman Cameron
E Camero/Petch Xon Hutch Ainsworth

- Tough call on Nelson but I feel like Rotham has more upside out of him and i was excited by his midseason form. Personally i have him as our biggest improver in season 2021. Injuries and Hurn being 47 and should still see Nelson play some games for us.

-Yeo should replace one of Redden or Sheed in that side. I don't see Sheed personally being booted out of the 22 but he always has a s**t patch throughout a season.

- I have a gut feeling that young Cameron is gonna cement his place in the side if he is fit but at this stage im not willing to put him in this 22

-If quarters are increased I have a feeling the club will opt to play a second ruckmen to support Nic Nat. Just don't think oscar is a capable second ruckmen over a long period of time. He really filled that niche this year however.

If we view our list as still in premiership contention - and we should be - then having Kennedy and Hurn on our list is a good thing. They are still comfortably best 22, even if they are no longer in our top five. JK might have looked a long way past his best at times in 2020 (obviously in Queensland he was poor), but he still finished the season as the second leading goal kicker in the competition and played less games than all bar Jack Gunston on the top 10 goal kickers list. Hurn finished the season well after what was certainly a poor start.

Granted, they are at an age when they could drop off the cliff at a rapid pace, but if that doesn't happen, we'll be in a better position pushing for a flag next year with JK and Hurn in the team.

If it becomes clear we aren't in a position for a flag tilt in 2021, then it will put Simpson and the MC in a bind. Having ageing stars who are absolutely loved around the club but are now in the 8th-ish to 12th-ish bracket on your list is not ideal, especially as we have plenty of other experienced players (Shuey, NicNat, Shep, Yeo, Gaff, Darling amongst others) to guide the younger crew.

Nelson Barrass Shep
Rotham Gov Witherden
Duggan Shuey Gaff
Cripps Darling Waterman
Ryan Allen Langdon
NN Kelly Yeo
Yeah I mean would JK and Hurn perform better than their replacements - yes probably. But from the perspective of development it would have been better if they retired.

Assuming quarter length goes back to 20 min and they need to play Williams as second ruck, I think either Allen or Waterman will play a lot of WAFL next year and can’t see Brander getting many games either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nelson Barrass Shep
Rotham Gov Witherden
Duggan Shuey Gaff
Cripps Darling Waterman
Ryan Allen Langdon
NN Kelly Yeo

Needs more Waterman

Nelson Barrass Shep
Rotham Gov Waterman
Waterman Shuey Gaff
Cripps Darling Waterman
Ryan Allen Langdon
Waterman Waterman Yeo

Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Witherden McGovern Cole
Sheed Yeo Gaff
Cripps Darling Ryan
Langdon Kennedy Allen
Naitanui Kelly Shuey

Rotham Duggan Redden Waterman

we’ll be winning a fair few games with that lot if they can stay healthy. The problem is the only guys left out who you could make a case for inclusion is probably Nelson and Cameron. We really need the rest of the list to be challenging our b22 for spots each week

It seems a fairly consistent theme in here, but I just don't see Nelson out of the 22. Gives us run and drive from the back half. He and Withers should form a nice combination out of defense.

Hurn Barrass Sheppard
Witherden McGovern Cole
Sheed Yeo Gaff
Cripps Darling Ryan
Langdon Kennedy Allen
Naitanui Kelly Shuey

Rotham Duggan Redden Waterman

we’ll be winning a fair few games with that lot if they can stay healthy. The problem is the only guys left out who you could make a case for inclusion is probably Nelson and Cameron. We really need the rest of the list to be challenging our b22 for spots each week

Next 10 (in no order)

Hutchings
Ah Chee
Petrucelle
O’Neill
Cameron
Nelson (from your team, Rotham from mine)
Brander
Ainsworth
Williams
Edwards

It’s not BAD, every clubs next 10 will be a mixed bag - Ah Chee was B22 last year (whether we like it or not!), Hutchings will be in the mix if he’s fit (or he would have been cut by now), they like Petrucelle enough to give him a 3 year deal, Brander they are very keen to make work and has talent, Ainsworth they clearly rate - and at the very least most of BF likes the look of O’Neill, Edwards and Williams from limited AFL exposure.

I agree, should have just won the flag, would have been much better.
& we got nowhere near winning yet we all see much the same 25 guys featuring.
Our two best improvers of 2020 were Duggan & Oscar, yet they arent playing more prominent roles, they are both flexible, Simmo needs to use them better.

With an extra pre season under his belt should Flyin Ryan spend more time in the midfield &/or become more of a target up forward.
No good doing what we did this year ... & there is no Schoey to fall bsck on.

Wonder if it’s time to give JK the Brad Ottens treatment

play home games and selected away games only - rather than 22 games - maybe give him 15 so he’s cherry ripe come finals

Wonder if it’s time to give JK the Brad Ottens treatment

play home games and selected away games only - rather than 22 games - maybe give him 15 so he’s cherry ripe come finals

I doubt it.

He and Hurn SHOULD be doing that but WC never seem to want to give it a shot.

Not phased if Hurn doesn't reach 300 games but if he is playing good football that is fine but if we are just carrying him to get to 300 thats stupid.

I doubt it.

Not phased if Hurn doesn't reach 300 games but if he is playing good football that is fine but if we are just carrying him to get to 300 thats stupid.
My only concern with Bunga is a hammy.

& we got nowhere near winning yet we all see much the same 25 guys featuring.
Our two best improvers of 2020 were Duggan & Oscar, yet they arent playing more prominent roles, they are both flexible, Simmo needs to use them better.

With an extra pre season under his belt should Flyin Ryan spend more time in the midfield &/or become more of a target up forward.
No good doing what we did this year ... & there is no Schoey to fall bsck on.

Oh I agree with a lot of that - in the end we were a mile off last season...but let’s face it, that was not a normal season and we had a wretched run at the finish with injuries and a prick of a fixture.

It’s worth one more roll with this squad.

...and I’ve said this a few times now but if we want to be better, it needs to come from the Superstar midfield. Cross our fingers Yeo can get fit and see consistency from Shuey and Kelly. If those 3 click into gear and have strong seasons we’ll be in with a shot.

I doubt it.

I highly doubt Shannon Hurn gives a hoot about 300 games/club record etc. he won’t be ‘carried’ - he’ll pull the pin if it comes fo

It’s worth one more roll with this squad.

...and I’ve said this a few times now but if we want to be better, it needs to come from the Superstar midfield. Cross our fingers Yeo can get fit and see consistency from Shuey and Kelly. If those 3 click into gear and have strong seasons we’ll be in with a shot.

Thats the squad we've got, a couple of kids wont make or break 2021.
We knew 2019 needed something & got Kelly & then we lost Yeo, thats history.

In 2018 we debuted 8, Ryan & Rioli were premiership players, Allen has bloomed & he's an AFL footballer now/getting better.. Waterman looks the goods, & the likes of Petrucelle, Ainsworth & Brander are yet to consolidate spots & Venables has to be in doubt, as is Rioli.
These guys are capable of taking a step up.

We are in transition with Kennedy, Hurn, Jetta (gone), Redden & Shuey now 30, with Shepherd & Hutchings turning 30 mid year. The club is proactive in the list management & I can see 2020 as a good year, & we've invested games in Petrucelle, Ainsworth & Brander & they need to step up.

Our best is good enough but we dont produce it when it counts in the finals.

I doubt it.

This is Sporta!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back