MVP 2021 Best & Fairest - Congratz Ollie Wines (AFL) and Sam Hayes (SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Get a hold, there was plenty of ownership of the poor end the season. Full acknowledgement that we are not a great club yet, and that a lot of improvement is needed. Ken also admitted that preparation for the last game was poor, and took responsibility.
Sick of that 'not a great club line', its so cliched. Its a clever line but its underlying subtle message is to tolerate mediocrity. Ken admitting preparation was poor is a start (didn't watch so take your word for it) but I want to know why. Its not like he hasn't been there before. How could the preparation be poor. It shows a total lack of judgement which for someone who has been in the game as long as he has is inexcusable.

How’d DBJ finish that high !
Absolutely ropeable with his season. Body language terrible, work rate terrible, rebounding terrible, disposal terrible. Can't think of one positive from his pathetic season. Didnt handle his 2020 success at all. Should have been dropped a few games into season but Ken rarely does this.

How’d DBJ finish that high !
The mystery of the ages. :think:o_O

Jonas, you could argue, played a few serviceable games and did some stopping jobs. Hardly top ten material, but given injuries to Butters, Rozee, X, Clurey, MG, et al which torpedoed their aspirations, not impossible to see why Tom made the top 10.
However him nabbing 5th is mind numbing stuff!!!

Didnt watch, but a couple of things.

I may not believe Ken can bring us a premiership but 100% believe in Ollie Wines right now. Single minded, doesnt give a fu** about any of this individual stuff. Needs to be captain next year.

A lot on here laughed when I said Burton was in our top 5 players, but he finishes the year in 6th, and TJ pretty clearly seems to have got a whole bunch of votes just for being captain.
Burton had a good year, happy with his placing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Port Adelaide I grew up worshiping believed they could beat anyone anywhere anytime. It was instilled into us by great men who believed it themselves and lived and breathed it. Thinking we were never going to win is the thing that separates us from our past. Doubt loses Preliminaries, belief wins them
How many times would Fos or Jack as coaches say to the players or public how tough the comp is and that someone has to lose?

How many times would Russell or Bob quinn have said that to themselves as players?

Or any of the other tommyrot and poppycock cliches that tumble inexorably from the mouths of our current venerable leaders, which exist merely as an excuse for tolerating failure, mediocrity and a lack of both courage and ambition?

Port Adelaide means one thing.
SUCCESS.
Anything other than being the best is FAILURE.

Failure - consistent, endemic failure - is something that supporters will never, ever tolerate.

Neither should the Club!!!!!!

Isn’t this a congrats thread . It seems like nearly all of the others .
Well done to Ollie and Sam Hayes . I think Hayes has actually being developed really well and Ollie has finally gone up to the level we’d hoped he would
yep, another thread derailed by negativity. Yawn. There is not a single Port supporter that is happy with how our season ended but i'd rather not be a complete misery until that next flag comes around.

I hate the naivety of this sh*t.

Yes we have some good kids. However there's been little to suggest they can actually lead us to success just yet.

Additionally, things change. Keep finishing at the top and we wont get the next group of superstars into the club and we'll watch our club slowly get over taken by the next group of clubs that have built super midfields and jump us.

It's not as simple as having some good kids and staying at the top. It never has been in this era of list management. You need to continue to improve as the next batch of kids will undoubtedly overtake us if we dont improve significantly.

As crazy as it sounds, our club would be better off prioritising the youth for a few years, bottoming out a bit with the talent we have and scoring some high draft picks, and then charging back up the ladder. Otherwise we'll be stuck in that good but not good enough space where we finish high regularly but dont get the chance to get the cattle in through the draft that we need to compete with the best. Which is where I feel we are right now.

summed up my concern precisely.

You cant expect a player to come out and say everythings ****ed, we’re screwed. Of course the players believe in themselves that they can go that next step

A great club, with an above average but not great current group of players, coaches and custodians is how we should be described.

But that would mean the current group have to differentiate their efforts from bygone eras. Easier to lump everybody together so they dont feel so bad.

* this thread should be about the award winners and recipients. But we spend too much time on the drongoes.

You cant expect a player to come out and say everythings f’ed, we’re screwed. Of course the players believe in themselves that they can go that next step
It's more that this has been the consistent message from everyone inside the club. They've set the bar at flag or failure, whilst a great concept, it ignores the reality of our recent failure and shrugs it off as nothing, like we'll just be here again next year winning a flag.

LOL. Good *in luck.

We learnt we are a mile off and cant just expect to get to the flag without significant change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back