Brownlow 2021 Brownlow Medal Count

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Fox Footy Key Forward Mafia controlled the voting…then the big boys up front would command more of the votes.
Which is funny, because the transcendent KPF of this generation (Buddy) has done really well in the polling and has the same amount of career votes as Bucks and more than Goodes.

I do agree with you. I think MacGovern was the most important player in the league for a couple of years. But I'm not seeing any voting in any award at the moment that had him close to winning anything. So the question is how what would give a different result?
THAT is a significant and vexed question and I totally agree not one with an easy or obvious answer.

I do think that coaches (opposition coaches) and players (peer review) should have a role to play.

There is a stupendous amount of video footage shot that could be of high value because let's face it with so much going on off ball now it's impossible for umpires to be abreast of it all.

Also I believe the whole 'voting on the day' concept is outdated now - inasmuch as said video coverage will cover any memory lapses which is only human. Surely a dispassionate appraisal is more appropriate than 'heat of the moment' after the game voting which can't help but be swayed by emotions.

Finally - and this will not be popular with traditionalists - delayed voting until after tribunal hearings - no player should be denied even one vote in favour of a player more spectacular who breaks a rule and is found guilty. Sure the guilty player is ineligible but he still costs other players votes.

If not delayed voting then at least a 'Best five' voting system so that if one or even two players are found guilty that would have finished in the top 3 then they can be deleted and the remainder elevated.

There are probably more scenarios than I can think of off the top of my head and most likely some better but the current award has become incongruous.

The Brownlow is the premier award and the umps do a great job with it. Its a midfielders award like all awards are because the game at more than anytime in its history is a midfielders game. Even more so because coaches design game plans around their stars and best players dominating the midfield possessions.

The Brownlow and the AFLCA (Coaches award) are the 2 most prestigious awards. The AFLPA is more of a subjective popularity vote and flawed.

Each year the coaches and the umps end up having similar group of midfielders in their top 10. Routinely the will have 7, 8 or 9 players common to the top 10 of both awards. They will all be mids with the odd exception. They do this even though its two very different groups giving the votes with very different voting systems.

In 2021both awards top 10 were all midfielders, the coaches had mids fill 18 of the 1st 20 places in their award with mids with NicNat and Gawn the other two. There were 7 mids (Wines, Bont, Oliver, Steele, Parish, Walsh, Petracca) who were in the top 10 of the Brownlow and AFLCA. The top 3 were the same but different order. Thats a fantastic correlation and shows the umps and coaches are largely in agreement of who the best players are each season. Both awards work very welll and are the ones the players prize most highly.

The Brownlow is the premier award and the umps do a great job with it. Its a midfielders award like all awards are because the game at more than anytime in its history is a midfielders game. Even more so because coaches design game plans around their stars and best players dominating the midfield possessions.

The Brownlow and the AFLCA (Coaches award) are the 2 most prestigious awards. The AFLPA is more of a subjective popularity vote and flawed.

Each year the coaches and the umps end up having similar group of midfielders in their top 10. Routinely the will have 7, 8 or 9 players common to the top 10 of both awards. They will all be mids with the odd exception. They do this even though its two very different groups giving the votes with very different voting systems.

In 2021both awards top 10 were all midfielders, the coaches had mids fill 18 of the 1st 20 places in their award with mids with NicNat and Gawn the other two. There were 7 mids (Wines, Bont, Oliver, Steele, Parish, Walsh, Petracca) who were in the top 10 of the Brownlow and AFLCA. The top 3 were the same but different order. Thats a fantastic correlation and shows the umps and coaches are largely in agreement of who the best players are each season. Both awards work very welll and are the ones the players prize most highly.

The interesting part of the equation is pay structures. Good KPP are rumoured to be on massive dollars. List managers seem to have a different rating system again.

Is Sidebottom being traded to Melbourne 🤔

IMG_9788.JPG

Vile thread! Now I want some cheese

Remove this Banner Ad

Back