Brownlow 2021 Brownlow Medal Count

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think you can leave voting to the umpires these days when it seems like there's certain umps with clear agendas. If Razor Ray doesn't like the look of you, there's no way you're getting BOG

I don't think you can leave voting to the umpires these days when it seems like there's certain umps with clear agendas. If Razor Ray doesn't like the look of you, there's no way you're getting BOG

Just have to accept it for what it is, a nice accolade that has always had a flawed voting system. Matthews and Carey without one between them is a pretty strong argument, whilst umpire bias has been and continue to be a factor. Greg Williams didn’t have the best relationship with umpires, highlighted when he had a 44 pos. 1 goal game and didn’t poll a vote in 1993 and then lost the count by a vote.

Just have to accept it for what it is, a nice accolade that has always had a flawed voting system. Matthews and Carey without one between them is a pretty strong argument, whilst umpire bias has been and continue to be a factor. Greg Williams didn’t have the best relationship with umpires, highlighted when he had a 44 pos. 1 goal game and didn’t poll a vote in 1993 and then lost the count by a vote.
It is the fairest and best which counts out good old Lethal Leigh.

He wouldn’t have mouthed off at the umpires that game would he, that wouldn’t be like him. 😂 I guess he missed the fairest part of it.

I remember Ben Cousins winning it in 2005 with only 20 votes.

In the last decade, seems like you need a minimum of 30 to win it now.
Libba won it with 18.
I just think the umpires look at the stats now and vote for the most stats, which is always the same couple of players.

In the old days players could wear white anklets and attract an umpire's attention.. keith greig won two brownlows because of his anklets. I think Greg Wells was runner up for Melb and I think he wore them too and he was a terrible footballer. It was a way for ordinary players to get votes. Dyeing your hair blonde was a technique too. Both Wells and Greig did that... of course clayton oliver wears a mop but it's not the same.

In the old days players could wear white anklets and attract an umpire's attention.. keith greig won two brownlows because of his anklets. I think Greg Wells was runner up for Melb and I think he wore them too and he was a terrible footballer. It was a way for ordinary players to get votes. Dyeing your hair blonde was a technique too. Both Wells and Greig did that... of course clayton oliver wears a mop but it's not the same.
Keith Greig was a magnificent footballer as seen from the stands, he also wore the wrist bandages, how many votes did that get him? BS comment about a decent player, no complaint about his medals here. Was wells really a terrible footballer?

Libba won it with 18.
I just think the umpires look at the stats now and vote for the most stats, which is always the same couple of players.

Jack McRae would disagree

I think they got it pretty right this year. Top 3 players in the leaguefor the year finished 1,2 and 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Libba won it with 18.
Totally agree, the umpires are hyper-aware of who has a great statistical output rather than who is actually having a great impact upon the game.

There's a lot wrong there.. the shirt is not tucked in properly.. business.. should have gone for a more fitting event style shirt.. the belt buckle is off centre.. not sure it's even leather.. the length of the slacks.. loose fitting.. shoes are not polished.. synthetic.. shoe laces are all over the shop.. ffs re Polts.. we need Hugo to sponsor these blokes with a coupla. Not his fault though. Probably hasn't been to many black tie events. The club's fault. Well.. partly his fault.. should have perhaps been a lil more proactive and demanded the club set him up with a new 1.5 gorillas worth of a new outfit.. looks mint for the night.. pull it out again for the Spring Racing Carnival albeit with a more fun and adventurous style of shirt and tie. Kick ass there as well.

You're representing the club.. a night like tonight.. should've had the lads dressed in immaculate attire. Josh Kelly's outfit.. that's the sh*t I'm talking about right there. That's class re. That's 50 shades of sexy. That's Aaron Neville on another level mate.
Poults is a country lad. Anyway we don't have lookers in our squad, not like all the Bailey Smith, JOM, Josh Kelly types.

The sooner they change the Bronlow's name the better,

'The Midfielder'

much more apt name for it.

Last edited:
Poults is a country lad. Anyway we don't have lookers in our squad, not like all the Bailey Smith, JOM, Josh Kelly types.

Nothing agst the lad.. black tie event.. I would have rocked up on his front door with a tailored Hugo.. here lad.. have some fun with it.. once in a blue moon event really.. nothing to lose.. I don't think he'd have refused.

The sooner the change the Bronlow's name the better,

'The Midfielder'

much more apt name for it.
Partially because the best players play in the midfield, partially because they're always under the umpires nose, but also as they're the one area of the field where they're not judged against a direct opponent - you can be viewed as second best on ground when your direct opponent beats you.

Partially because the best players play in the midfield, partially because they're always under the umpires nose, but also as they're the one area of the field where they're not judged against a direct opponent - you can be viewed as second best on ground when your direct opponent beats you.
It just highlights the need to get umpires away from the voting.

Too subjective, have a panel and review the actual footage - take advice from the officiating umpires and reference one against the other.

Won't happen though because a number of umpires would be exposed.

It just highlights the need to get umpires away from the voting.

Too subjective, have a panel and review the actual footage - take advice from the officiating umpires and reference one against the other.

Won't happen though because a number of umpires would be exposed.
But don't most of the other awards go to the same players who poll highly in the Brownlow?

But don't most of the other awards go to the same players who poll highly in the Brownlow?
Just because a player is on the ball and collecting 30 possessions a game doesn't automatically make him best on ground - even for his club. People see the glittering on baller and don't notice the back pocket that chases and harasses, then wins the ball and runs hard up the line to dispose and runs on to lay the block for his team mate before going back to his despised position to do the whole lot over and over again. That despised back pocket IS a matchwinner but most people can only see the blazing meteor onballer.

I've gone through this scenario many times before sr and I'm sure you know my answer.

A significant proportion of people are sheep.

Just because a player is on the ball and collecting 30 possessions a game doesn't automatically make him best on ground - even for his club. People see the glittering on baller and don't notice the back pocket that chases and harasses, then wins the ball and runs hard up the line to dispose and runs on to lay the block for his team mate before going back to his despised position to do the whole lot over and over again. That despised back pocket IS a matchwinner but most people can only see the blazing meteor onballer.

I've gone through this scenario many times before sr and I'm sure you know my answer.

A significant proportion of people are sheep.
I do agree with you. I think MacGovern was the most important player in the league for a couple of years. But I'm not seeing any voting in any award at the moment that had him close to winning anything. So the question is how what would give a different result?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back