Brownlow 2021 Brownlow Tips and Punting Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom ******* Mitchell won a Brownlow and polled well tonight - so that doesn’t compute

He was much better in the year he won the Brownlow, but he is more consistent than Jy.

Jy has had 9 games sub 25 disposals, with one sub 20 game. Mitchell had had 3 sub 25 games, none befow 20. I think this year they were closer in terms of contested possessions and clearances, Jy averaged 10.7 contested possessions vs Mitchell 11.6 but uncontested possessions it is 16.5 vs 22.9.

I think Jy has far more talent than Mitchell when it comes to offensive potential, I wont say he doesn't work hard enough... I don't think he has the tank to work harder. They are on the park a similar amount of time but Jy doesn't work as hard to receive the footy, he is also undersized for his role so I just think he gets beaten up more than he would if he was more solidly built.

If he ran a lot harder between the arcs and was more of a target to receive the ball he would stand out a lot more. He is generally very good at stoppages near the forward 50 when he does get the ball but how frequently would you say you see Hall or Ziebell coming out of the defensive 50 and Jy is a target he get the ball and runs aggressively through the middle?

As a core midfielder, he should be prominent. It is in part a flaw in Cunners game too but he has a definitive lack of tank.

There is also a difference in terms of quality of clearances, Ziebell used to get a lot of clearances for us and just hack it out of the middle. Jy isn't as bad as Ziebell was but there is a chalk and cheese difference between Jy and Cunners. Cunners has the strength to break tackles and he will use the handball to set up an aggressive clearance where we retain the ball, Jy isn't in the same class in that area, I t hink in part because he doesn't have the strength to fend off his opponents, he is agile but he seems more rushed in terms of moving the ball on and the clearances aren't of the same quality. Mitchell is similar to Cunnington. Ben is 88kg, Mitchell is 84, Jy is 75 and that impacts his ability to get quality clearances. He gets a ton of clearances but a lot of them aren't quality.

It is why LDU gets noticed, and got more recognition even though I think Simpkin had the better more consistent year, the way LDU gets through stoppage traffic, it is pure midfield class, it sticks out like dogs balls. He is 85k and he also moves with agility, so he is hard for the opposition to contain. LDU is just prone to not using the ball well at times.

I've said it before that I wouldn't be surprised if our other midfielders pass Jy in a few years, that isn't because I don't rate Jy, we have just accumulated a lot of midfield talent and I think Jy needs to be able to take his game to a higher level to be a premiership midfielder, if he doesn't reach that standard he will be passed, the question is which of LDU, Phillips, JFH, Powell, Simpkin, Scott, etc reach that standard first. We are going to have 3 core mids, you need a different bag of tricks to play wing well. If you aren't in the top 3, you are benched.

He was much better in the year he won the Brownlow, but he is more consistent than Jy.

Jy has had 9 games sub 25 disposals, with one sub 20 game. Mitchell had had 3 sub 25 games, none befow 20. I think this year they were closer in terms of contested possessions and clearances, Jy averaged 10.7 contested possessions vs Mitchell 11.6 but uncontested possessions it is 16.5 vs 22.9.

I think Jy has far more talent than Mitchell when it comes to offensive potential, I wont say he doesn't work hard enough... I don't think he has the tank to work harder. They are on the park a similar amount of time but Jy doesn't work as hard to receive the footy, he is also undersized for his role so I just think he gets beaten up more than he would if he was more solidly built.

If he ran a lot harder between the arcs and was more of a target to receive the ball he would stand out a lot more. He is generally very good at stoppages near the forward 50 when he does get the ball but how frequently would you say you see Hall or Ziebell coming out of the defensive 50 and Jy is a target he get the ball and runs aggressively through the middle?

As a core midfielder, he should be prominent. It is in part a flaw in Cunners game too but he has a definitive lack of tank.

There is also a difference in terms of quality of clearances, Ziebell used to get a lot of clearances for us and just hack it out of the middle. Jy isn't as bad as Ziebell was but there is a chalk and cheese difference between Jy and Cunners. Cunners has the strength to break tackles and he will use the handball to set up an aggressive clearance where we retain the ball, Jy isn't in the same class in that area, I t hink in part because he doesn't have the strength to fend off his opponents, he is agile but he seems more rushed in terms of moving the ball on and the clearances aren't of the same quality. Mitchell is similar to Cunnington. Ben is 88kg, Mitchell is 84, Jy is 75 and that impacts his ability to get quality clearances. He gets a ton of clearances but a lot of them aren't quality.

It is why LDU gets noticed, and got more recognition even though I think Simpkin had the better more consistent year, the way LDU gets through stoppage traffic, it is pure midfield class, it sticks out like dogs balls. He is 85k and he also moves with agility, so he is hard for the opposition to contain. LDU is just prone to not using the ball well at times.

I've said it before that I wouldn't be surprised if our other midfielders pass Jy in a few years, that isn't because I don't rate Jy, we have just accumulated a lot of midfield talent and I think Jy needs to be able to take his game to a higher level to be a premiership midfielder, if he doesn't reach that standard he will be passed, the question is which of LDU, Phillips, JFH, Powell, Simpkin, Scott, etc reach that standard first. We are going to have 3 core mids, you need a different bag of tricks to play wing well. If you aren't in the top 3, you are benched.

Fair and none of that is really any slight on Simpkin who sticks his head down and works bloody hard. A 23 year old next Cunnington leading our midfield. Something will have gone either wrong for us or very, very right for Simpkin if LDU & Thomas aren't getting the most votes for us in 2-3 years.

How did Hugh Greenwood go

Hilarious BTW that Cunnington is now a vote magnet for us after years of basically being ignored. Tarrant will get 1 vote for lacing up his shoes at Richmond.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tarrant will get 1 vote for lacing up his shoes at Richmond.

No votes at North from this ump.

Tarrant " I put them on myself"
1632103943053.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back