Toast 2021 Leadership Group - Heppell (captain), Hurley, Merrett, McGrath (joint vice-captains)

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
1611131146501.png

Heppell Captain.

Leadership group Hurley, Merrett and McGrath.

Shook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't see any reason to shapperone McGrath into the captain next year. Go with Heppel one more year and allow Andy to lean on him, if Dyson goes down injured then Andy simply steps in. No need for dilly dallying around anymore. He's ready or he's not

Problem is if Heppell isn't 100% fit then he shouldn't be Captain in 2021, and I don't think McGrath should be Captain in 2021 yet.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
So, appoint this years vice captain again. If we want to protect Andy then keep the same system we had this year

I'd like to see a young player with a regular position in the leadership group, until they're a VC / C who really are the public face of the playing group as well as the guys that should be leading.

We've got guys like McGrath & Ridley who appear to be the kind of guys that will lead the club in to the future, giving them a more public facing role without being C or VC gets them ready for it without throwing them in the deep end.

So, appoint this years vice captain again. If we want to protect Andy then keep the same system we had this year
We didn't have a VC this year..

No disrespect to all being mentioned but it does highlight one of our biggest issues. Much bigger than the coach or any game plan stuff.
We are very very thin on the ground as far as leaders go.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
No disrespect to all being mentioned but it does highlight one of our biggest issues. Much bigger than the coach or any game plan stuff.
We are very very thin on the ground as far as leaders go.
It's why I'm not averse to throwing McGrath in the deep end while players like Heppell and Hurley are still around to mentor him in the role, or as others have said, to have one of the experienced heads remain in the role and at least install McGrath as VC.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Heppell captain for one more year but play him off half back to protect his body.

Saad as vice captain.

McGrath and Ridley beign groomed for takeover.

Draper to be the future heart of the club and tone setter.

It's why I'm not averse to throwing McGrath in the deep end while players like Heppell and Hurley are still around to mentor him in the role, or as others have said, to have one of the experienced heads remain in the role and at least install McGrath as VC.
McGrath has potential as a leader and I agree he should be pushed up now he has had a year in the midfield.

Big Slam

Debutant
Aug 9, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Captain: Stringer
Vice Captain: Hooker
Deputy Vice Captain: McGrath

Get some grunt in the leadership group in Stringer and Hooker and have them groom McGrath over the next two years to then supplant Stinger as the Captain.

McGrath isn’t too young to be Captain, he’s too soft and not vocal enough at the moment. He’s, educated, polished and speaks well to the media, but needs some sandpaper.

Working with Stringer and Hooker might add some vital leadership skills and set him up for future leadership success.

Remember that Stringer was the guy who, out of nowhere, participated in Ramadan to support Saad.

He’s the guy who sat next to Smith’s hospital bed for hours when he came out of surgery last year.

He’s the guy who’s quietly heavily involved in Ronald McDonald House.

He’s also a guy who can be electric and a game turner.

He’ll also get on guys and bark when barking is needed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Captain: Stringer
Vice Captain: Hooker
Deputy Vice Captain: McGrath

Get some grunt in the leadership group in Stringer and Hooker and have them groom McGrath over the next two years to then supplant Stinger as the Captain.

McGrath isn’t too young to be Captain, he’s too soft and not vocal enough at the moment. He’s, educated, polished and speaks well to the media, but needs some sandpaper.

Working with Stringer and Hooker might add some vital leadership skills and set him up for future leadership success.

Remember that Stringer was the guy who, out of nowhere, participated in Ramadan to support Saad.

He’s the guy who sat next to Smith’s hospital bed for hours when he came out of surgery last year.

He’s the guy who’s quietly heavily involved in Ronald McDonald House.

He’s also a guy who can be electric and a game turner.

He’ll also get on guys and bark when barking is needed.

He can also drive the fitness standards in the off-season. I like it.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Because that stopped Jobe from evolving into the phenomenal leader he eventually became after being a self confessed disaster when it came to fitness, preseason and training?

Difference was Jobe turned that work ethic around, not sure Stringer is going to do the same. Maybe he'll prove us all wrong.

I think Stringer has matured a lot since he came across, and he seems to do a lot of things that he never gets credit for, but isn't necessarily the demanding setter of standards we need.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Merrett should be captain. Our best player and I think it’s time to reward him.

He’s the man to take us forward. If the club Dosent like it then make Heppell and Merrett Co-Captains

staaation

All Australian
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't know who on the list can actually turn around the attitude of the playing group without a significant change in culture from the very top.
Heppell's leadership style would be fine in a team that already has a drive to work for each other and put their bodies on the line. Despite his "yeah nah cherry ripe cruisey knacker" attitude, when he plays he does demonstrate everything the others should be doing, which would be enough in a side where there is significant buy-in from the players and a strong culture.
Our players are that far gone that seeing their skipper jump in front of a train for them barely registers as something they should respond to.

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't mean to be an jerk, but why are Saad and Ridley's names being thrown into the hat? What examples of leadership have they shown? If it's because they show some dedication on the field, then I'm afraid to say some people here are confusing talent with leadership. I don't want the bestest, toughest campaigner to be captain. I want the best leader to be captain. If said player is a tough campaigner, fine. If not, fine. As long as they lead, on AND off the field.

I don't mean to be an jerk, but why are Saad and Ridley's names being thrown into the hat? What examples of leadership have they shown? If it's because they show some dedication on the field, then I'm afraid to say some people here are confusing talent with leadership. I don't want the bestest, toughest campaigner to be captain. I want the best leader to be captain. If said player is a tough campaigner, fine. If not, fine. As long as they lead, on AND off the field.
Good player = good leader, duh

It's the level of analysis you'd expect from an internet forum, hopefully the playing group look into it a bit more carefully.

McDonalds

Rookie
Jul 17, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi Everyone,

I’m conducting a short survey on the current and incoming leadership at Essendon!

If you are interested you can fill it out here: https://forms.gle/681MFHRwWF6grpMF9 3

It will take under 5 mins and you’d be helping me to find out what Bomber fans online think about the Captain, Coach, Coach in Waiting and the CEO - specifically their leadership credentials.

Once it’s all done I’ll put all the data in a presentation that should look something like these:

Slide1
Slide11440×810 240 KB

Slide2
Slide21440×810 182 KB

(with data that makes sense)

Results and will shared here in the coming days!

If you have any Essendon friends that aren’t on Bigfooty, feel free to pass it along, if you enjoy doing the survey, or think they will!

Thank you so much for taking the time and Go Dons.

Back