Analysis 2021 Captaincy

Remove this Banner Ad

So you have no problem having 3 captains in 3 years then. Jack 2020 Taz 2021 then someone else 2022 onward.

Nope. They all know each other well it's not like an outsider is coming in.

This is a developing year so let the younger guys develop and Taz lead by example.

Trent Dumont.

Reliable, durable, rarely plays a bad game.
No thanks
He’s just vanilla for me .

Trent Dumont.

Reliable, durable, rarely plays a bad game.

And despite early (dismissed) misdemeanors an intelligent, thoughtful guy off-field.

Im happy to go something different and have co captains. Tarrant and Simpkin or Cunnington and Simpkin.
Jy needs another year or two to consolidate and another senior head next to him will do wonders.

That saying, if they gave it to Jy on his own I dont have an issue with it now.
Something about him lately shows he ready to lift this club up on his shoulders and take it to the next level. Its not his time trial but moreso the loss of so many older and senior heads has elevated him now to one of the main bananas.

I love Jack but he really needs to work on his conditioning and game in 2021. If hes going to play forward he needs to do more when the ball hits the deck as we literally axed a guy who was useless at applying pressure when the ball was in dispute inside our 50.

Our drafting of small forwards shows the 3 talls/2 permanent talls combo isnt working or the way to setup going forward.

I would have Goldie, Cunners and Taz as our 3 co captains for the next 2 seasons. It would give us a sense of stability and a focus on the group rather than individuals. We have a group of maybe 6-8 kids that in 2 years will have established themselves and hopefully a clear standout will be made captain.

I would have Goldie, Cunners and Taz as our 3 co captains for the next 2 seasons. It would give us a sense of stability and a focus on the group rather than individuals. We have a group of maybe 6-8 kids that in 2 years will have established themselves and hopefully a clear standout will be made captain.
Goldy lol no chance
Never in his career even in the leadership group
and the bloke is 32

JZ vs Lmac Vs Jy

I wouldn’t be against Luke and Jy co captains

Keep JZ 1 more year until contract renewal and see what happens with him moving forward.
Keen on simpkin or Lmac to take the position but would rather have them ready than shove it on a 22yr old who's not 100% ready as in jy's case.
We all know he'll be a capt one day its just about when.

I’d give it another year as the side transitions.
I think it’s going to be a hard year and that’s to much to ask of a young captain (Jy/Lmac)
I agree it’s going to be a challenging year transitioning . But I’m sure the club & JZ would be mindful of the added pressure in perhaps being in the position of having to play JZ ahead of others just because he’s the skipper. Hopefully he can prove everyone wrong , get super fit & demand a spot in the team on form & not on status .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id be letting Jy develop one maybe 2 more years. Dumont will be gone at the end of next year. Probably leave JZ with it on for one more year
His pathetic attempts at goals which were energy sapping and often most times we were making a charge really don’t scream leading from the front for me.

We need someone who isn’t apart of the old guard. Loved Jack and was my favourite player for a long time but we need change.

His pathetic attempts at goals which were energy sapping and often most times we were making a charge really don’t scream leading from the front for me.

We need someone who isn’t apart of the old guard. Loved Jack and was my favourite player for a long time but we need change.
I get that and I totally understand. Jy is 22 and coming into some real personal PB’s.. I would let him settle into that groove without the stress of C just yet. I agree he has the attributes 2022/2023 100%.. especially if we have a poor year, just reckon it could be too much, dont want his performance to taper off

Taz til he retires, then Jy. Jack has been a very good leader for us but I can easily see him not being best 22 at times next year.

I just don't see how Jack can keep the captaincy. We can't have a guy who is no guarantee to be best 22, even if fully fit, being the captain.

He is best 22 if fully fit.

Two years ago he kicked 35 goals, last year he got 10 Brownlow votes (the same as Cunners,) and kicked 24. This year was poor tho. But injuries and chaos surely played their part. I don't believe he has dropped that far considering during those two years I mentioned people were saying he wasn't best 22 either. If he is fit he will play and play well. That is what it comes do. Fitness and getting on the park. But even if he is fit he's probably only got a year or two left. Tho... basically as long as he can kick 25 - 50 goals a year on the forward line we should keep him. This year doesn't count but next year will cos injuries or poor form won't be an excuse again.

re captaincy - If someone else shows more/better leadership at training then they should get it. Otherwise leave it with him. By all accounts Jy and Lmac may give him a run for his money this year but who knows.

He is best 22 if fully fit.

Two years ago he kicked 35 goals, last year he got 10 Brownlow votes (the same as Cunners,) and kicked 24. This year was poor tho. But injuries and chaos surely played their part. I don't believe he has dropped that far considering during those two years I mentioned people were saying he wasn't best 22 either. If he is fit he will play and play well. That is what it comes do. Fitness and getting on the park. But even if he is fit he's probably only got a year or two left. Tho... basically as long as he can kick 25 - 50 goals a year on the forward line we should keep him. This year doesn't count but next year will cos injuries or poor form won't be an excuse again.

re captaincy - If someone else shows more/better leadership at training then they should get it. Otherwise leave it with him. By all accounts Jy and Lmac may give him a run for his money this year but who knows.

The main problem that I see for Jack, and I have loved him as both a player and a leader, is that the collision style of football that he has played for a decade seems to have caught up with him and I think he will struggle to stay on the park due to soft tissue and other wear and tear issues. A second real issue is that he has completely lost his set shot goal kicking which is a real shame for a guy who was one of the most reliable in the league five years ago. Marking forwards that can't kick goals become a liability very quickly.

I could be wrong on the above and I hope I am but we have seen time and time again that the game can pass players by very quickly.

The main problem that I see for Jack, and I have loved him as both a player and a leader, is that the collision style of football that he has played for a decade seems to have caught up with him and I think he will struggle to stay on the park due to soft tissue and other wear and tear issues. A second real issue is that he has completely lost his set shot goal kicking which is a real shame for a guy who was one of the most reliable in the league five years ago. Marking forwards that can't kick goals become a liability very quickly.

I could be wrong on the above and I hope I am but we have seen time and time again that the game can pass players by very quickly.
I agree that could happen next year. But we'll just have to wait and see whther or not last season was an anomoly or not. He wasn't great when he came back but missing the year then coming back in those hub circumstances, without proper training, any lower level footy or even a stable base to operate from isn't a fair picture of where he is at.

Captaincy by committee? No thanks.

Can't be JZ as he will most likely be forced out of the team as the season progresses.

Only options are to either appoint Tarrant as skipper for a couple of years, or either one of LMac or Simpkin.

And none of this co-captaincy nonsense at our club thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back