Not open for further replies.

TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants
Hawthorn has finalised its 2021 coaching structure with Sam Mitchell to become the Hawks Head of Development, while Assistant Coaches Chris Newman, Brendon Bolton and Craig McRae will make up the Hawks' line coaching team.

As Head of Development Mitchell will lead the development of Hawthorn’s playing list, with a specific focus on developing Hawthorn’s first to fifth year players.

As part of the role Mitchell will also take on the job of Senior Coach for the Box Hill Hawks. The opportunity will enable Mitchell to carry his teaching from a training environment through to a match day setting, while also providing him with the opportunity to run his own program for the first time in his coaching career.

Chief of Football Graham Wright noted Mitchell’s immense capacity to foster and build talented young players made him a perfect fit for the role.

“Mitch is an outstanding coach and has proven his ability to work with and develop young players to become standard features in our senior line-up,” said Wright.

“This new role allows Sam to run his own program at Box Hill and to have an eye over the entirety of our young cohort's development which we see as really important.

“We have been open about the fact that as a club we are focused on developing a new wave of talent to build us to our next premiership and Mitch’s role as Head of Development will be crucial in this.

“We’re really pleased with how our coaching line-up is looking for 2021. Sam, Chris, Brendon and Craig all bring an excellent standard of coaching to our group and offer a huge range of knowledge, skills and experience to our coaching panel.”

Read: Hawks partner with AIA Australia

Mitchell himself highlighted the opportunity a strongly aligned AFL and second-tier structure presents.

“The development of young talent is something I’m really passionate about so to now have that as the focus of my role at Hawthorn is personally something I am really excited to get started,” said Mitchell.

“Having the opportunity to coach my own team and be a part of every stage of players’ development is an incredible prospect.

“My role really is to get the best out of all of our young guys and the opportunity to align the two programs really closely by structuring it this way is hugely exciting and presents a fantastic opportunity for players and as an extension of that, our club.”

The assistant coaching panel of Newman, Bolton and McRae will lead the Hawks' line groups in 2021. Newman will be responsible for the backline, Bolton will take the reins of the midfield group and McRae will assume the role of forward line coach. Andy Otten will assist Mitchell continuing in his role as Development Coach and Damien Monkhurst remains as part-time ruck coach.

Judging on the prevailing opinion of Sam Mitchell for so long, this move shows just how far he's come. Once upon a time he would have been the worst possible person for a development role given that he was considered a Nathan Buckley level professional who expected youngsters to do the right thing at all times. Good step IMO.

Judging on the prevailing opinion of Sam Mitchell for so long, this move shows just how far he's come. Once upon a time he would have been the worst possible person for a development role given that he was considered a Nathan Buckley level professional who expected youngsters to do the right thing at all times. Good step IMO.
Great point

I thought Bolts was the Footy manager - Fagans old posie?
Now see he's the midfield coach.
If he's doing both roles I'm a bit skeptical of this.
I see our midfield as vital & is the line that needs the most attention for us at the moment.

I thought Bolts was the Footy manager - Fagans old posie?
Now see he's the midfield coach.
If he's doing both roles I'm a bit skeptical of this.
I see our midfield as vital & is the line that needs the most attention for us at the moment.

Bolton was named "Director of Coaching" when he returned last year.

Said "Former Assistant Coach will return as Director of Coaching"

Well, now for 2021 he is just an "Assistant Coach" no mention of Director of Coaching.

Seems to have been demoted.

Bolton was named "Director of Coaching" when he returned last year.

Said "Former Assistant Coach will return as Director of Coaching"

Well, now for 2021 he is just an "Assistant Coach" no mention of Director of Coaching.

Seems to have been demoted.
With the footy dept soft cap slashed by a third, the traditional set up is out the window.

I wouldn't focus too much on titles of these guys anymore. Their roles will be much broader

With the footy dept soft cap slashed by a third, the traditional set up is out the window.

I wouldn't focus too much on titles of these guys anymore. Their roles will be much broader

With recent issues in coaching lately I just hope that Sam and others get the support they'll require.

I'd hate to think that he's doing the VFL coaching job that may involve a lot of interstate travel as well as the position in development as well as helping with stoppages for the seniors, the latter being a position that seems to have disappeared for next year.

With recent issues in coaching lately I just hope that Sam and others get the support they'll require.

I'd hate to think that he's doing the VFL coaching job that may involve a lot of interstate travel as well as the position in development as well as helping with stoppages for the seniors, the latter being a position that seems to have disappeared for next year.
He's not doing stoppages next year.

Development with youth is his passion, labour of love, so I don't see it as a mentally draining aspect on him.

VFL/NEAFL travel will be same day flight out and back, so not a long time away from family.

This is gearing him to a senior gig in 2022 (Jeff mentioned 2 years at BHH during his SEN interview)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not doing stoppages next year.

Development with youth is his passion, labour of love, so I don't see it as a mentally draining aspect on him.

VFL/NEAFL travel will be same day flight out and back, so not a long time away from family.

This is gearing him to a senior gig in 2022 (Jeff mentioned 2 years at BHH during his SEN interview)
I wonder if he will get poached by another club

Is this a well disguised demotion?

Previously BH coaches have been promoted up to afl assistants. And note we had to cut Bailey who was our box hill coach.

Our midfield was pretty bad this year - very hard (from the outside) to say Sam was a success as midfield coach.

However with the football spend cuts the previous pathways/roles have changed so maybe can’t read anything into it.

I am still of the view these ‘managed’ transitions (if that’s really the plan) don’t work - when Clarko goes we need the best person for the job and that is probably unlikely to be Mitchell who will be still be woefully inexperienced in two years time.

Previously BH coaches have been promoted up to afl assistants. And note we had to cut Bailey who was our box hill coach.

Our midfield was pretty bad this year - very hard (from the outside) to say Sam was a success as midfield coach.

However with the football spend cuts the previous pathways/roles have changed so maybe can’t read anything into it.

I am still of the view these ‘managed’ transitions (if that’s really the plan) don’t work - when Clarko goes we need the best person for the job and that is probably unlikely to be Mitchell who will be still be woefully inexperienced in two years time.
No, its not a demotion. It's a pathway to a senior gig. He needs to coach his own team. FYI - Clarko did the same thing, was an assistant at Saints, then went to VFL (Werribee I think), then Centrals at SANFL, then assistant at Port, then Hawks). It makes a lot of sense.

Why would Mitchell still be "woefully inexperienced" by end of 2022? He'd have 5 years experience and have coached his own side?
Hardwick had 5 years experience
Clarkson 5 years

From what I've read, it was at Sam's request.

When almost every new face in the team each year is a over 25yr from another club you know that your youth development sucks balls.

We do a lot right as a club but developing youth has not been one of them.

Hopefully we get this fixed soon. Over to you Sammy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back