News 2021 Coaching Changes - Mitchell to Coach Box Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to SEN radio, Mitchell is the front runner for the Pies job so far. Sounds like he was interviewed

According to SEN radio, Mitchell is the front runner for the Pies job so far. Sounds like he was interviewed
Cornes clarified after he said that , he heard Sam was the favourite but no interviews or presentations had even happened.

Fair to say he actually has no idea🙂

Let’s be honest. Mitchell isn’t an idiot.
He obviously knows he’s not ready yet, so why utensil up your first crack at it.

what it does do is put the focus back on Clarko and his plans.
He doesn’t look tired or not up for the fight, so I’m curious to see how this plays out.
Really, Sammy isn’t going to be struggling financially and may look at another 3yrs as No.2 as best option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McClure follows up with his "opinion" that Sam will take over from Clarko after 2022

What reasons would Sam have to knock back a chance at the Pies?

a) instability at board level
b) agreement to coach Hawthorn in future
c) an offer at another club
d) doesn't believe he is ready

Any other reasons?

B looks most plausible to me.

In a world where he wasn't guaranteed the Hawks job, wouldn't he pursue the Pies role?

Any other reasons?

B looks most plausible to me.

In a world where he wasn't guaranteed the Hawks job, wouldn't he pursue the Pies role?
Pies role looks very much a poison chalice at the minute. A lot of work needs to be done to turn it around. And I don’t feel the board would be patient enough for it.

I feel like Sammy would avoid going there even without any guarantees from Hawthorn

Pies role looks very much a poison chalice at the minute. A lot of work needs to be done to turn it around. And I don’t feel the board would be patient enough for it.

I feel like Sammy would avoid going there even without any guarantees from Hawthorn
Poison chalice i think oversells it.

Biggest club in the land, heaps of resources, and a club that has had 2 coaches in 20+ years. There are some issues to be ironed out at Board level at the moment, but he'd be a popular choice as Coach, irrespective of the eventual President.

If there's one thing we know about Clarkson it's his stubborness in his will to win, hence I'm not quite sure he will agree to walk away. I reckon he won't feel content to move on till we're up and running, and challenging again for silverware. So personally i'd like to sign him to 2023, and reassess then where we're at.

If there's one thing we know about Clarkson it's his stubborness in his will to win, hence I'm not quite sure he will agree to walk away. I reckon he won't feel content to move on till we're up and running, and challenging again for silverware. So personally i'd like to sign him to 2023, and reassess then where we're at.
Mmmm...Silverware.

e) the Collingwood position is not exactly a plum job

If Mitch is as smart as he is said to be, I think d) and e) would be the main reasons.

He is in the privileged position of being a certainty to get a senior coaching gig in the near future (his stocks really are that high). So he doesn't need to grab the first opportunity that comes his way. And while the Pies job does have some plusses (Daicos coming in for one), some of their best players are old, they have an amazing number of plodders on their list, a f*#ked up salary cap ... and worst of all, fan expectations that are way, way above where the club is at right now.

I actually think it would be a dumb job to take, and most likely a Voss-like career killer. As much as the media is advocating for Sam to get a job right now, they will be crucifying him in 12-18 months time if/when Collingwood are struggling. It may not be a poison chalice, but it is likely to be a Berliner doughnut with a sh#t centre just one bite away.

It is also possible that ...

e) He knows he's learning heaps at Box Hill, and will coach them in finals later in the year - and possibly feels genuinely committed to the group of guys at Box Hill, and is loving the experience

FWIW - if I was Sammy, I would be hanging out for a team that has been down near the bottom, has used its early draft picks, has loads of talent (particularly out of the back end) and is almost certainly on an upswing ... Like Hawthorn in 18 months or so ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back