News 2021 Coaching Changes - Mitchell to Coach Box Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How does this work
I gather they don’t advertise on Seek
Is it by EOI or invite

“interviews start tomorrow” seems early - surely there’s an exhaustive process to go through or is it lip service and they already have someone

I can understand Clarko leaving at the end of his contact, but can’t understand why everyone thinks he will coach elsewhere.

I think he would end up becoming the most heavily scrutinised coach in the competition if he picked up the Collingwood or possible Carlton job. It would be like Malthouse (which was warranted) but worse if things went sour result wise. With the medical issues and general strain of coaching Clarko has undergone over the last 20 years, I’d bank on him having a break if he finishes up.

However, if he chooses to extend further with us and stay for the rebuild, it is in my opinion the best list to do so with. The next couple years will be lean, but high quality kids will come in and there is money to play with cap wise. Best of all, he already has built relationships with our current playing group.

Carlton and Collingwood on the other hand are in shambles list wise in different ways.

Collingwood’s cap is obviously cooked, and will take a few years to recover from. He may be able to get better results out of players like De Goey, but it’s a harder list reset in comparison to us. Their depth will be running thin too if reports about them needing to shed more dollars of their cap at the end of the year is true.

Whilst Carlton have some quality players on their list, they have their arms tied behind their back overpaying flankers and could possibly end up losing one of Walsh or McKay because of it. Depth wise they’re pretty lean as well.

Clarko’s been offered big dollars before from oppo clubs, so I don’t think the decision is factored by money. I just don’t see him coaching another club at the moment.

In my small minded eyes, i see the last year of clarko contract is similar to the role that McEvoy has as captain. We have another year of development in which we will do our best to shield the burden from future leaders while in this steep transition. Sam would know this. Although we wouldn't call it a "succession plan" he is well aware that he would be the coach of the club he loves after further developing his list as the underling at box hill for only another year or two on decent money honing his skills. Nothing will change for next season. Everything is ok.

Think if Mitchell goes, it’s a mistake on his part. Little patience required as to date its been a very short apprenticeship.

If it is the case, then I hope it’s a decision that he doesn’t regret

Heard from a guy today who reckons he is connected at Hawks and Clarko extended 3 years and Mitchell to Pies. Personally if true good for him to coach elsewhere first and then hopefully us down the track
Tend to agree his progression would almost be too quick, but if they put Ross Lyon or choc as a senior sounding board it would be a strong combo. Collingwoods list is shot so it’s a big rebuild

Think if Mitchell goes, it’s a mistake on his part. Little patience required as to date its been a very short apprenticeship.

If it is the case, then I hope it’s a decision that he doesn’t regret
I think it's a mistake on Pies part also
Even though we know Sammy will make a good coach, he's not quite ready to coach and the last thing Collingwood needs to reboot is a coach learning his craft at a new club.

Tend to agree his progression would almost be too quick, but if they put Ross Lyon or choc as a senior sounding board it would be a strong combo. Collingwoods list is shot so it’s a big rebuild

I disagree on the list. There is enough there, cash in Degoey to solve the salary cap, draft well, pick up daicos … happy days for pies. Clarko would have them contending in two years - how would we feel then.

I really hope the Clarko extension rumour is true. Other clubs have an open cheque book - there is a reason!!! Why the inexperienced, unproven favourite son over the master!

How does this work
I gather they don’t advertise on Seek
Is it by EOI or invite

“interviews start tomorrow” seems early - surely there’s an exhaustive process to go through or is it lip service and they already have someone
Not sure, imagine connectivity in the AFL world. The only certainty and I underline certainty with 100% knowledge out of the pies camp is they interviewed Mitchell today.

Heard from a guy today who reckons he is connected at Hawks and Clarko extended 3 years and Mitchell to Pies. Personally if true good for him to coach elsewhere first and then hopefully us down the track
Sams coached what 4-5 wins, in his entire coaching career?

If they appoint him over someone like McRae who’s coached a VFL flag or Caracalla good luck to them, but it’s borderline negligent from the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they appoint him over someone like McRae who’s coached a VFL flag or Caracalla good luck to them, but it’s borderline negligent from the Pies.
Not sure Wright will make that mistake, it’s either Sam or Lyon. Others would only make up the numbers.

& on the flip side, if Sam took the job it would b on stupidity, for several reasons.
1) too inexperienced
2) they are an unstable club at the moment
3) they have TPP issues that don’t seem to be going away
4) ‘supposedly’ the biggest club in the land = massive pressure.
Not even a club legend could withstand their pressure

I’m staying to think buy read articles etc that Clarko will extend but think if Mitchell goes to another club as coach don’t believe he will come back as if he turn Collingwood if he goes there into a premiership team would he leave to come to us when Clarko goes No he would it will be another Leigh Mathews we he come home thing.

I can understand Clarko leaving at the end of his contact, but can’t understand why everyone thinks he will coach elsewhere.

I think he would end up becoming the most heavily scrutinised coach in the competition if he picked up the Collingwood or possible Carlton job. It would be like Malthouse (which was warranted) but worse if things went sour result wise. With the medical issues and general strain of coaching Clarko has undergone over the last 20 years, I’d bank on him having a break if he finishes up.

However, if he chooses to extend further with us and stay for the rebuild, it is in my opinion the best list to do so with. The next couple years will be lean, but high quality kids will come in and there is money to play with cap wise. Best of all, he already has built relationships with our current playing group.

Carlton and Collingwood on the other hand are in shambles list wise in different ways.

Collingwood’s cap is obviously cooked, and will take a few years to recover from. He may be able to get better results out of players like De Goey, but it’s a harder list reset in comparison to us. Their depth will be running thin too if reports about them needing to shed more dollars of their cap at the end of the year is true.

Whilst Carlton have some quality players on their list, they have their arms tied behind their back overpaying flankers and could possibly end up losing one of Walsh or McKay because of it. Depth wise they’re pretty lean as well.

Clarko’s been offered big dollars before from oppo clubs, so I don’t think the decision is factored by money. I just don’t see him coaching another club at the moment.

Underrated post :thumbsu:

He said ages back he sees himself as a one club person and that in the future he may look at different areas, when his time is up - but you know nobody believes him at the moment which is just amazing. He might be fiery and not everyone's cup of tea, but his integrity speaks for itself, so far.

The only way i see him coaching another club, after everything he has said, is if the HFC do the wrong the thing by him and he decides to "show us" we were wrong. Surely we as a club are not this stupid to let it get to that ?

If he fails at the Pies, he may not get a second chance. First time coaching failures don't often get a second chance. Ratten was lucky at St Kilda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back