2021 coaching panel

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
"The appointment finalises Sydney’s coaching panel for Season 2021, with senior coach John Longmire and assistants Dean Cox and Jarrad McVeigh joined by Mathews and fellow new coach Don Pyke.

Jeremy Laidler will continue to work with the club’s reserves side, as well as with the QBE Sydney Swans Academy."

Sounds like an exciting mix.

Matthews and Pyke both bring recent experience from other clubs with cox and McVeigh already ingrained into the swans system. Bring on 2021

Welcome home Ben
swans 2021 2.jpg

Thanks Dennis for all you have done for the mighty Bloods.

Meanwhile former Swans captain Dennis Carroll is retiring after 40 years of service to the club as a player, coach, and administrator. Most recently, he has served as Sydney’s Executive General Manager – People.

Brett Kirk will take the reins as the club’s Head of Wellbeing and Development.

Welcome home Ben
View attachment 1005092

Thanks Dennis for all you have done for the mighty Bloods.

Meanwhile former Swans captain Dennis Carroll is retiring after 40 years of service to the club as a player, coach, and administrator. Most recently, he has served as Sydney’s Executive General Manager – People.

Brett Kirk will take the reins as the club’s Head of Wellbeing and Development.

Agreed, Dennis is an absolute gentleman and a tremendous servant of the club.

Seems like our midfield woes attributed in part to Kirk seeing he is being punted from a meaningful strategic coaching role.
Interesting as I havn't seen it noted anywhere that he had been turfed. But it doesn't mention that he has moved either. Perhaps they got one of the other coaches cheaper to replace him?

Seems like our midfield woes attributed in part to Kirk seeing he is being punted from a meaningful strategic coaching role.

Pretty sure he was the development coach, not a strategy role. Midfield this year was supposed to be McVeigh and Kennelly with Cox as game day strategy.

Pretty sure he was the development coach, not a strategy role. Midfield this year was supposed to be McVeigh and Kennelly with Cox as game day strategy.
McVeigh was the midfield coach and Kirk was development

Kirk, who has led the Swans midfield over the past four seasons, will take up a new role in development. Cox will also move from midfield coach to a new assignment focused on on-field strategy and performance analysis. Blakey is set to become defence coach, while Kennelly and McVeigh will oversee the midfield group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With pyke and Matthews coming in I bet Cox sees this as a massive opportunity to swap seats in the coaches box.
Reckon Pyke will be more planning and structures than game day. For sure Cox is being developed as a future head coach, Sydney or elsewhere. Think neither Blakey or Kirk will be head coaches.
However, as a group I think this year's crew looks a lot better than last year. No disrespect to any of them but as I have mentioned earlier, this group looks like a bunch of bloods. Hard as nails but smart too. With a bunch of kids to work with, who knows?

Reckon Pyke will be more planning and structures than game day. For sure Cox is being developed as a future head coach, Sydney or elsewhere. Think neither Blakey or Kirk will be head coaches.
However, as a group I think this year's crew looks a lot better than last year. No disrespect to any of them but as I have mentioned earlier, this group looks like a bunch of bloods. Hard as nails but smart too. With a bunch of kids to work with, who knows?
Stevie J just didn't feel right at our club. He is back where he belongs.

Agree 100%. I was bewildered when he joined us. At the time I thought and said that he would engender chaosball in our forward line. He never played structured. Also, as a player I didn't like him at all. Glad he's gone.
It always looked like Stevie J's approach was "kick it to the small forward". Plenty of ball directed at Paps even when he had no chance of marking it.

Really happy with the mix of coaching talent this year. Ben Matthews was never blessed with talent but he got almost 200 games out of himself regardless. Macca was more talented but he still pushed himself to be the best version of himself he could. He's already a respected leader at the club. Kirk was a reject who fought his way back into the team. Kennelly learned a whole new game from scratch. They're all genuine Bloods, full of life experience from the highs and lows of footy and they're great influences to have around a young playing group. Cox was always the consumate ruckman who is very familiar with the Bloods culture. He ran up against it often enough, but I always admired him even as he played against us. Pyke brings a completely fresh perspective and a sharp mind as a former senior coach. He coached Adelaide to a couple of great seasons and a couple of not so great one. He made some mistakes, costly lessons that he'd have learned from. Interesting that he had a 60% win record against Horse, so he may know some of our weaknesses. He's also troubled a lot of current coaches head-to-head. A very good pickup.

It always looked like Stevie J's approach was "kick it to the small forward". Plenty of ball directed at Paps even when he had no chance of marking it.

Really happy with the mix of coaching talent this year. Ben Matthews was never blessed with talent but he got almost 200 games out of himself regardless. Macca was more talented but he still pushed himself to be the best version of himself he could. He's already a respected leader at the club. Kirk was a reject who fought his way back into the team. Kennelly learned a whole new game from scratch. They're all genuine Bloods, full of life experience from the highs and lows of footy and they're great influences to have around a young playing group. Cox was always the consumate ruckman who is very familiar with the Bloods culture. He ran up against it often enough, but I always admired him even as he played against us. Pyke brings a completely fresh perspective and a sharp mind as a former senior coach. He coached Adelaide to a couple of great seasons and a couple of not so great one. He made some mistakes, costly lessons that he'd have learned from. Interesting that he had a 60% win record against Horse, so he may know some of our weaknesses. He's also troubled a lot of current coaches head-to-head. A very good pickup.

Our coaches next year are Longmire, Laidler as coach of the reserves, Cox, Pyke, Mathews and McVeigh.

Kirk has taken a welfare role at the club that doesn't involve coaching day to day and Kennelly left the club mid-season as part of the cuts to get the league back to playing.

Our coaches next year are Longmire, Laidler as coach of the reserves, Cox, Pyke, Mathews and McVeigh.

Kirk has taken a welfare role at the club that doesn't involve coaching day to day and Kennelly left the club mid-season as part of the cuts to get the league back to playing.
Kirk was a flop, our midfield tanked under him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back