2021 coaching panel

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Our coaches next year are Longmire, Laidler as coach of the reserves, Cox, Pyke, Mathews and McVeigh.

Kirk has taken a welfare role at the club that doesn't involve coaching day to day and Kennelly left the club mid-season as part of the cuts to get the league back to playing.

I am not sure what other clubs coaching panels are like but I am not sure it is a good thing that 4 of our coaches are former Swans players.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I am not sure what other clubs coaching panels are like but I am not sure it is a good thing that 4 of our coaches are former Swans players.

3 of our coaches are former Swans (Mathews, Laidler and McVeigh) two of whom have spent considerable time at other clubs either during their playing or coaching careers.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
3 of our coaches are former Swans (Mathews, Laidler and McVeigh) two of whom have spent considerable time at other clubs either during their playing or coaching careers.
I think the most important things are what their experiences and skills are, how they complement each other and that they can work well together.
The "senior" group will be Longmire, Cox and Pyke. Hard to get more diverse in their experience than that.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Last season he was Performance and Strategy coach after working as the midfield coach on the stoppages before that. He was never just coaching the rucks as that is only a part-time position
Here's hoping Pyke can figure out something as we havent had dominance in the midfield for a long time now.

you dont need hockey sticks when you have the power of friendship

plus we already have will gould so he counts as our fat goalie

As a fat goalie, I find the insinuation that we have friends insulting.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
Kirk was a flop, our midfield tanked under him.

Nothing to do with the fact that we have just two A-grade mids plus B-graders, part-timers and kids?

I'm a bit with the commentators who have been fixated on the interplay between Horse, Cox and Stevie J. It was really was one of the more interesting coaching box sideshows. Anyway, Don Pyke a good get. We need senior coaching expertise from outside the Swans.

Nothing to do with the fact that we have just two A-grade mids plus B-graders, part-timers and kids?

I'm a bit with the commentators who have been fixated on the interplay between Horse, Cox and Stevie J. It was really was one of the more interesting coaching box sideshows. Anyway, Don Pyke a good get. We need senior coaching expertise from outside the Swans.

I like that Horse & Cox were often animated. It shows they actually give a **** and have the urgency required if we are to get out of the cellar.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I like that Horse & Cox were often animated. It shows they actually give a **** and have the urgency required if we are to get out of the cellar.
Do coaches win matches? The criticism of the coaches when the team is in massive transition though youth is dumbfounding. In the last four years we have had a few experienced guys in Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Heeney etc. We have gone to the draft and brought in half our midfield in the last four years. Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Bell, Warner, Stephens. Inexperienced. No. Its the coach's fault.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Do coaches win matches? The criticism of the coaches when the team is in massive transition though youth is dumbfounding. In the last four years we have had a few experienced guys in Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Heeney etc. We have gone to the draft and brought in half our midfield in the last four years. Blakey, Rowbottom, McInerney, Bell, Warner, Stephens. Inexperienced. No. Its the coach's fault.
That's a little unfair on the posters who have been criticising Longmire since 2016.

Great to have Ben back

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
we should hire gordon bombay i saw a documentary where was coaching some kids and it seemed to work out and we have lots of young players so i think he picks himself
There's no ice rink to drive the limo on but I could see him rocking onto the SCG with him and Horse jumping out of a limo. I'd just want the players to quack after every goal though and Gordon could have a fling with Heeneys Mum or something

Back