2021 Community series

Remove this Banner Ad

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I get that, and I'm not based in Freo either, but I spent my younger adult years there and it's why I became a supporter.

I've just read a bit about the St Kilda/Seaford move and how important many believe it was to them getting back on track as a club and shoring up their long term viability. I wonder how similar it is to our situation?
Not very I’d suggest. St Kilda is a traditional suburban VFL club, we on the other hand are manufactured as a second WA club in the VFL.

If done right, we could’ve been a true “Fremantle” club by using the history of the original Fremantle WAFL club.

Johnny Dalmas

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not very I’d suggest. St Kilda is a traditional suburban VFL club, we on the other hand are manufactured as a second WA club in the VFL.

If done right, we could’ve been a true “Fremantle” club by using the history of the original Fremantle WAFL club.
If South Fremantle and East Fremantle could have seen beyond their own petty differences and realised they had an opportunity to be a part of something bigger, then the FFC could have been full of Freo football heritage. Although, to be fair, a big part of that Freo footy heritage are the differences between Souths and Easts.

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
If South Fremantle and East Fremantle could have seen beyond their own petty differences and realised they had an opportunity to be a part of something bigger, then the FFC could have been full of Freo football heritage. Although, to be fair, a big part of that Freo footy heritage are the differences between Souths and Easts.
I thought they did. Not sure how accurate Wikipedia is, but:

Negotiations between East Fremantle and South Fremantle to enter into the VFL as a merged club began in 1987. However, due to an exclusive rights clause granted to the West Coast Eagles this would be impossible until the end of the 1992 season. Further applications were made by the clubs to join but their model was out of favour with the West Australian Football Commission.

Remove this Banner Ad