Prediction 2021 Consensus Best 22 [DONE FOR ANOTHER YEAR]

Remove this Banner Ad

C: Walsh Cripps Newnes
OB: DeKoning Curnow Williams
IC: Setterfield Murphy

One of the brightest parts of our list is the amount of talented up and coming midfielders who should be pushing hard to break into our team. We're hoping that players mature and step up. Midfield is a tough gig. Need to be tough. Players must be willing to put their heads over the ball and take contact and put their bodies on the line because the good sides are hard at the contest and play with physicality and intensity and we need to be that. Tackling quality needs to be on they money. Need to be able to run because running up and down the ground at pace for four quarters is a massive part of modern football. Need to be skilled because fumbles kill, as does poor disposal. Probably the areas where our young and aspiring midfielders are letting themselves down when it comes to getting a midfield spot. In 2021 that needs to change. We have a lot of skilled and gifted athletes who just have not put the whole package together yet.

We have a servicable midfield without being a star studded midfield so the opportunity is there. I can see us eyeing off a big name come the end of next year though, Oliver and Merrett already mentioned this trade period.

Our depth in this area looks great. It's going to come down to who steps up I believe. What is happening in the midfield in our reserves side next year is going to be of great interest. Dow, Stocker, O'Brien, Kemp, Kennedy, Philp, Ramsay, Cottrell, SPS could very well be our round one reserves side and that brings a hell of a lot of interest and potential players to come in on form IMO.

I think our team gets picked on form. We pick our best players, not on potential. I think we are going to be alright in the midfield but we will be wanting more from it and wanting guys to step up.

With today’s update from Amos on SPS staying with the defenders, where do people see him up against Doch, Newman, Williamson and Saad?

SPS was better statistically than Williamson overall, but that was pretty much Williamsons first injury free season unlike SPS. Also SPS tanked on metres gained and goals conceded where he was worse than Williamson. SPS was better in tackling and possessions. Overall, I though SPS looked slow.

I have him on bench with the hope he finds another level. Amos was confident he could.

Way to screw our vote, Amos! Could have made these comments last week.

Does this change our thinking?
No.

We are selectors, not Amos ... pretty sure

You gentlemen speak of truth and logic. I feel like the facial fuzz has impeded my capacity to think clearly.

As we were...

Setterfield 100% is in the first centre bounce vs Richmond. Him and Cripps a fantastic combination.
Not in disagreement but I would like to see Setters and Cripps in different midfield rotations to each other.
So that we train Setters to play the same role as Cripps. Hunt and extract the ball to a runner.
I believe this would then allow the other types of mids like Dow, Fisher, Gibbons, Martin and Stocker etc to have time in the midfield and less reliance on Cripps to extract the ball for the full game.

Not in disagreement but I would like to see Setters and Cripps in different midfield rotations to each other.
So that we train Setters to play the same role as Cripps. Hunt and extract the ball to a runner.
I believe this would then allow the other types of mids like Dow, Fisher, Gibbons, Martin and Stocker etc to have time in the midfield and less reliance on Cripps to extract the ball for the full game.
They're going to have to overlap in the middle, unless you're planning on Cripps spending a lot of time forward or Setters spending a lot of time on the bench (or out of the midfield altogether).

It's not like we're trying to pair Cripps with Kennedy or a similar big/heavy bodied inside mid. Setterfield is tall but he's not really big bodied and he has some different tools to Cripps.

I'd probably prefer not to have Cripps, Setters and Ed as the primary 3 at most centre bounces, but that's a bit of a different story once we're talking full midfield balance.

If we're starting Cripps, Williams & Setters in the middle with Walsh & Willo on the wings and then have some dynamic flankers/smalls in Saad, Doc & SPS down back with Martin, Fisher, Cuningham/Fogarty/Gibbons up forward then that's a pretty complete mix for mine. Ed comes off the bench, as does some of Murph, Newnes, Dow, O'Brien, etc. Then there's some positional rotations, Walsh into the middle, Williams/Willo can drop back, Doc/Saad/SPS can move up the ground, Martin/Fish/DC/Fog/Gibbo can move into the middle/wings, Cripps forward, etc. Nice to have some genuine flexibility there.

We don't have to keep Setterfield 'out' until Cripps rests forward or goes to the bench, and I'd personally rather have Cripps & Setters spending more time together as a combination than Cripps & Ed.

This isn't about having one out while the other plays.
My thoughts were about developing Setters in the same role (not cloning Cripps) but giving him the role of prime mover mid. IMO if they are in the same rotation, Cripps either demands that role or the others defer to him.
That makes us vulnerable because Cripps gets double teamed and our other mids watch then all of a sudden they jump on the ball and we have lost structure.
I see no reason to not develop Setters forward craft so that they rest each other rather than one being on the bench.
All this I put no timeframe on, it is merely an opinion based on my observations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugh SPS in the backline is going to be another Gibbs in the backline thing isn't it.

Play him in the middle please.

I don't have an issue with him having played back for his development (and a need for the team), but I would have hoped that the time to move to his natural position would have come for 2021.

This probably means that Teague and Amos see Willo or someone more as a winger... also means Zac is 100% being brought into play mid.

I prefer SPS in the mid rotation and I don't think that's off the table. But for now, I guess its defence.

This probably means that Teague and Amos see Willo or someone more as a winger... also means Zac is 100% being brought into play mid.

I prefer SPS in the mid rotation and I don't think that's off the table. But for now, I guess its defence.
I love Willo on a wing and would love to see more of him there. However I think he more readily fits into the side in the half-back line and, if he were to play on a wing, would probably be ousted by Newnes. Given I want to see Willo in the side, I therefore like him at half back where there is a spot for him currently.

I love Willo on a wing and would love to see more of him there. However I think he more readily fits into the side in the half-back line and, if he were to play on a wing, would probably be ousted by Newnes. Given I want to see Willo in the side, I therefore like him at half back where there is a spot for him currently.

Imo, Willo has a spot on the wing. He is a better player NOW than Newnes. And has plenty more to come too. Newnes has done his job as a DFA(technically not, but) and he will continue being a good pro in the 20 to 32 bracket of our list. For mine he is closer to 30 than 20 this year, but time will tell and we can be certain that he will present well to give his best.

I wouldn't be certain that Samo plays predominantly back just yet. As you would, Amos spoke highly of all the guys in his potential area, Samo, Willo, Marchbank, Newman, Saad, Williams, Kemp. They can't all play back. But the backline coach can say that they will in December.

We've got great options over the park, thru some steady grounding and building work by the Club.

You can add Samo and both Curnows, and I would say Fisher.
Im not seeing Petrevski-Seton for some reason ... 🧐

Charlie is there on talent, but no one knows whether he will ever be the same player

Ed will likely start, but there are a number of players that are close to overtaking him, Williams can shutdown as well as finding/using the pill

Fisher and SPS have the talent, so I would back them in, but it is no longer a given

Amos did say that SPS might be used to bring some bursts into the midfield for 5-6 minutes at a time when needed, so that midfield rotation isn't shutdown just yet. There's just so many possibilities of how this could work, and it all comes down to the versatility of our team and the number of dual position players we have.

Williams (back/mid), SPS (back/mid), Willo (back/wing), Walsh (wing/mid), Murphy (wing/mid/forward), Gibbons/Cunners/Fisher/Martin (mid/forward).

Exiting stuff let me tell you. We've got serious talent building.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back