Prediction 2021 Consensus Best 22 [DONE FOR ANOTHER YEAR]

Remove this Banner Ad

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I tend to agree, which was initial thinking. But will still put last spot in 22 to a vote. Perhaps with the top 5 voted players yet to make the cut.
Why not leave it open to all unpicked players?
Or just the 7th mid, as we go with 7. We shouldn’t be picking say an 8th defender because they missed out by less votes

Mar 1, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Agree that there's no excuse for not running both ways, and that players should be able to do both.

A 'defensive winger' is more about the positioning and running patters of the particular role. Not many teams would play 2 wings that mirror each other on opposite sides of the ground.
Yep, we have played a +1 in the back line a lot in the last few years, it is normally the defensive winger.

Who either becomes the spare man or picks up a player which frees up a Doc or Simo type. Can see Willo or SPS doing that role.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
OK.
As listed in the OP, any player not picked in the 21 who has received 2 votes is eligible to be voted in as the 22nd player.
I'll stick to that, Stamos. But I expect the higher voted players will still be the same in that vote for no. 22.

Govinda blueboy

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Why not leave it open to all unpicked players?
Or just the 7th mid, as we go with 7. We shouldn’t be picking say an 8th defender because they missed out by less votes

I agree, should be open to all players, that way we can get the right balance for OUR team. Example, if all of Charlie, Harry, Levi, and Jack find spots in OUR team then we don't want the next highest if it happens to be say Mitch McG...

Just my thoughts, I know I don't have a lot to say around here so take as you will😋

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree, should be open to all players, that way we can get the right balance for OUR team. Example, if all of Charlie, Harry, Levi, and Jack find spots in OUR team then we don't want the next highest if it happens to be say Mitch McG...

Just my thoughts, I know I don't have a lot to say around here so take as you will😋
Will be open to all but my suggestion was to put the top voters up for poll not the next highest automatically being selected.

So in that scenario, it'd be like a vote between Murphy, Newman, Dow and McGov. Gov would not make the 22 in that scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Govinda blueboy

Team Captain
Feb 15, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Will be open to all but my suggestion was to put the top voters up for poll not the next highest automatically being selected.

So in that scenario, it'd be like a vote between Murphy, Newman, Dow and McGov. Gov would not make the 22 in that scenario.

Yes, without reading the thread again (time poor and shocking memory😜) I may have been responding to someone's suggestion (Arr0w?) to only vote on the players with the highest votes but were left out... Does that make sense I'm a bit delirious lol

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
This really hasn't been a problem with our defence. Chasing in the midfield, sure, but not the backline.
If Plow is ok, then how is 2 key backs (1 of them very quick) and an intercepting 3rd tall too tall and slow?
And with Docherty, Saad, and Willo or Samo, we should not have a problem bringing the ball out.
Apologies for the late response Stamos work has been seriously hectic...
Definitely midfield has been exposed badly at times, but we have been caught out by quick and classy small/medium forwards in general either by pace or football smarts...
Midfield and at times our forwards doesn’t make it easy for defending when ball is ran in so easy but our individual strengths and weaknesses as defenders are also partly to blame...
Now imo if we play Marchbank back in defence we gain more with his floating interception game but weaken ourselves with run and speed the other way, sacrificing one for another...
There will games where opposition matchups will require Marchbank’s presence and others without, i know the club rates him very highly so no doubt he’ll more than likely play regularly I’d imagine... More run and dare in waves both when attacking and defending we hopefully can take the next step in...

Blue Rising 21

Debutant
Nov 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting side comments from Barker on Cripps playing fwd more in 21. Think he is headed for more fwd minutes than previous years. Might be the start of a transition for 22/23 Onwards...maybe not.

Cripps is such a strength for us in the midfield but what if we have an all Australian defence plus an all Australian fwd line with Cripps fwd. Is that enough to win a flag? Cripps, mackay, curnow all fit, all working together is a crazy thought.

Going back a few years when our midfield was shite, Doch and Simmo set us up from the back half negating the need for a hero midfield. Well with Walsh, Setters, Kennedy, Williams and one more ... I think the side would easily be good enough With a nice midfield rather than a hero midfield. One more fast pressure mid to ensure the opposition deliver crap balls inside 50 so we can rebound.

As an aside, I think that is exactly what opposition sides have done to us....let us win clearances then rebound the shite inside 50s kicks we do....and then score on the overlap and rebound.

In a way, this is aligned to the tigers model...let opposition take first touch them force them to cough it up And rebound spread...

Ok, I’m waffling too much....

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Look who's back

Undoubtedly the most unanimous vote we've ever had - no less than FOUR defenders received full votes, a great confidence booster and confirmation of our sureness down back.

Jacob Weitering, Liam Jones, new-Blue Adam Saad and Sam Docherty received 100% of the vote, with Plowman just 3 votes short.

Emerging Tom Williamson convincingly made the starting six with Simpson now moved on.

Caleb Marchbank yet again shows his popularity by pinching a spot in the 22, coming off the bench, edging out recovering the Nic Newman by 21 votes.

Look who's back

Undoubtedly the most unanimous vote we've ever had - no less than FOUR defenders received full votes, a great confidence booster and confirmation of our sureness down back.

Jacob Weitering, Liam Jones, new-Blue Adam Saad and Sam Docherty received 100% of the vote, with Plowman just 3 votes short.

Emerging Tom Williamson convincingly made the starting six with Simpson now moved on.

Caleb Marchbank yet again shows his popularity by pinching a spot in the 22, coming off the bench, edging out recovering the Nic Newman by 21 votes.
Not enough love for Plowman

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Boom - 6:1 right off the bat towards TDK.

Will give this poll 3 days, by which time we should have a clear winner.

Love the look of our side with TDK rucking and Cas chopping out.

Of course, if Cas doesn't make the forward 7, he'd be my #1 pick for Spot 22 (should King be the chosen ruck).

Having a team with just TDK and presumably Harry 2nd ruck leaves us inexperienced and light.

Of course, if Cas doesn't make the forward 7, he'd be my #1 pick for Spot 22 (should King be the chosen ruck).

Having a team with just TDK and presumably Harry 2nd ruck leaves us inexperienced and light.
You can close this one now :D

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

Amazing! :p

Mezzoculo

Accurate. Brilliant. Unlikely.
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
I'll put my hand up and say I voted for Pitto.

Usually not a big fan of dual rucks but given TDK's flexibility and question marks over Charlie's early season availability, I can see benefit in starting 2021 with pitto as #1 and TDK as fwd/ruck support.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back