Prediction 2021 Consensus Best 22 [DONE FOR ANOTHER YEAR]

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I do agree with you on Dow as a fwd.

I just get it if someone sees Dow improving in 21 and becoming a midfielder, he might not be ahead of Cripps, setters and curnow in the starting midfield, so either Dow starts on the bench or forward. I can understand that view as the match committee in the past have rested him fwd when not in the midfield.

We are picking forwards, which Dow isn't

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Once again, the way this poll has been structured has completely skewed any structural goals we may have with the list and the 22. JSOS, McGovern, Charlie and McKay? Nope.

And what's more, I can't change my votes.
For some reaosn we can do it fine with the backline and yet people can't select a balanced forwardline.

Tim H

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Carlton
Will be very interesting to see how this plays out. All have cases. Dow has upside, Cunners has upside. But they may not deliver it. Gibbons has safety with little upside but his floor is higher than the other two.
Gibbons has improved consistently through each season and from season to season.
Dow and Cunningham don't try hard enough and have failed to reach their potential.

I believe Gibbons will be the best player he can be and will improve this year as well.
Some of our young blokes won't unless/until they put in the same
effort and attention to detail.

If they want to play seniors they have to demand a spot with performance
not potential or waiting for someone to get injured.

Blue Rising 21

Debutant
Nov 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Gibbons has improved consistently through each season and from season to season.
Dow and Cunningham don't try hard enough and have failed to reach their potential.

I believe Gibbons will be the best player he can be and will improve this year as well.
Some of our young blokes won't unless/until they put in the same
effort and attention to detail.

If they want to play seniors they have to demand a spot with performance
not potential or waiting for someone to get injured.

It is a fair shout and this is all opinion based. I ask myself whether Gibbons makes Tigers or cats list and I honestly answer no. He is not a forward and his midfield craft is not good enough for a contender. When I ask the question of Cunners and Dow, I do think the cats and tigers would add them , to their list.

I totally get your point as it makes me a hypocrit on gibbons vs Cunners and JSOS vs McGovern. I side with cunners and JSOS. i Can only say, I respect your view as it may be right ultimately.

MacTosh

Senior List
Oct 11, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I left Curnow out due to injuries.
McKay
Casboult (has to be there for ruck)
McGovern (McKay is better when he plays, he’ll be better this season)
Betts (although should only play 50% of games)
Martin (although I love him as a mid)
Fisher (Unlike most I think it’s his best position)
Newnes (Balance and best of the rest)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue Rising 21

Debutant
Nov 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
So who plays second ruck if this is the team? Or are we expecting TDK to ruck out an entire match?

Also there are literally 12 players on that list I would pick before JSOS. And one of them can barely walk.
I know you won’t like this but I see 3 options.

1. Casbault fills the last spot on the bench and that is the solution.
  2. Cripps at 194/5 cm rests forward as a proper KPP player while McKay takes 5+ mins in the ruck. Barker mentioned Cripps would play more forward in 21.
  3. Marchbank covers for Jones while he goes into ruck for 5+ mins.
The options are there for match committee. Richmond pre Lynch really only had Reiwoldt so there are precedents for a faster team in that model.

Tim H

Team Captain
Sep 23, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Carlton
It is a fair shout and this is all opinion based. I ask myself whether Gibbons makes Tigers or cats list and I honestly answer no. He is not a forward and his midfield craft is not good enough for a contender. When I ask the question of Cunners and Dow, I do think the cats and tigers would add them , to their list.

I totally get your point as it makes me a hypocrit on gibbons vs Cunners and JSOS vs McGovern. I side with cunners and JSOS. i Can only say, I respect your view as it may be right ultimately.
They might make the list at tigs or cats but wouldn't make seniors on what they have
done to date.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
I know you won’t like this but I see 3 options.

1. Casboult fills the last spot on the bench and that is the solution.
  2. Cripps at 194/5 cm rests forward as a proper KPP player while McKay takes 5+ mins in the ruck. Barker mentioned Cripps would play more forward in 21.
  3. Marchbank covers for Jones while he goes into ruck for 5+ mins.
The options are there for match committee. Richmond pre Lynch really only had Riewoldt so there are precedents for a faster team in that model.

Great stuff. Personally I've always been a bigger fan of the ruck-forward combo instead of a ruck-defender, so if McKay can get his ruck craft up to par, I'm all for it.

I also agree that Cripps needs to start resting up forward as a KPP. However, that would generally mean that a big bodied forward is also able to rotate through the guts when filling in for Cripps. When looking at our list, that only really consists of Kennedy, JSOS and Kemp. Would love for the coaches to realise this and implement something similar.

Absolutely detest the kpd as a ruckman idea. Gets run all over the ground by the forward who then gets let off the leash while he is being run all over the ground by the ruckman. Any decent coach for the opposition would ensure he never got a moments rest so he was too exhausted to compete.

At least as a forward, the defender will stay with him while he takes a breather in the square.

Absolutely detest the kpd as a ruckman idea. Gets run all over the ground by the forward who then gets let off the leash while he is being run all over the ground by the ruckman. Any decent coach for the opposition would ensure he never got a moments rest so he was too exhausted to compete.

At least as a forward, the defender will stay with him while he takes a breather in the square.
Harry is potentially worth millions as a key forward. Lets throw him in the ruck and risk a serious knee injury.

Crazy isn't it?

Jones would be a better option but would unnecessarily upset our balance in defence. Plus making things complicated for Jones probably isnt a great idea.

Last edited:

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Harry is potentially worth millions as a key forward. Lets throw him in the ruck and risk a serious knee injury.

Crazy isn't it?

Jones would be a better option but would unnecessarily upset our balance in defence. Plus making things complicated for Jones probably isnt a great idea.
I almost shat my pants when Bolton threw Charlie in the ruck at the end of another miserable loss. Who would have thought a basketball scrimmage, tiles and a dodgy (?) surgery would do him in!

Blue Rising 21

Debutant
Nov 16, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton

Crazy isn't it?

What about other strategies like Hawkins doing the ruck work in Geelongs forward line. TDK could rest a kick behind the play and cover centre square and then mid/def stoppages. Reduces his workload and allows us to have an overall faster side. Could you see McKay doing this?

I don’t mind Casbault and see the reasons for him. But I also saw how invisible he was second half of the season. Carlton need to innovate a little...

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
What about other strategies like Hawkins doing the ruck work in Geelongs forward line. TDK could rest a kick behind the play and cover centre square and then mid/def stoppages. Reduces his workload and allows us to have an overall faster side. Could you see McKay doing this?

I don’t mind Casbault and see the reasons for him. But I also saw how invisible he was second half of the season. Carlton need to innovate a little...

When there is a stoppage deep in the forward 50, this is exactly what McKay should be doing

Forwards vote

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
One step forward, another two forward

Our forward setup has been finalised, with injury-riddled Charlie Curnow (108 votes) earning a berth in the hypothetical best 22 - as he should. Not expected back until mid-year, many expect Charlie to regain his rightful spot and get some footy in his legs by the close of 2021.

Fan-favourite Zac Fisher proved popular, earning the third-highest votes in the forward line. Harry McKay (133) and Jack Martin (129) were the only truly definitive players - earning 99% and 96% of all available votes respectively.

Mitch McGovern (68) and Eddie Betts (87) earned reprises in our best side after disappointing finishes to 2020. There's definitely a feeling that guys like Fogarty, Owies or even Durdin will eclipse Betts by the close of 2021. The Governator is make or break next year, too.

Finally, Jack Silvagni (61) is looking the goods and keen to put 2020 behind him - earning a spot in the 22 due to his flexibility and improved running capacity.

Now onto our FINAL spot in the 22.

Make your vote count, baggers!

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I've got faith in Paddy Dow

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I went with Murph as he was my 7th forward - think he will play most games and still gives us more (most weeks) than the kids. Given how tall we've gone with the forward line, I expect we need a flexible small to round it out.

Murph can play wing, mid and forward and has experience unrivalled.

I'd have Casboult first EMG and he'll be straight in for Charlie in Round 1 - giving us better balance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back