Prediction 2021 Consensus Best 22 [DONE FOR ANOTHER YEAR]

Remove this Banner Ad

No DFA is going to be a best 22 selection. We already have enough trouble picking our squad with the boys we have going. I say LETS FIRE HER UP
Dickhead From Adelaide?

haha I don't have quite enough time for that, Azzurro. I reckon we just go with:
  • 6 + 1 backs (7th auto bench spot 1)
  • 6 mids (starting 5 with sixth auto bench spot 2)
  • 1 starting ruck (be a short poll but would eradicate people not picking a ruck in the midfielders vote)
  • 7 forwards (as above)
  • Last bench spot + emergencies, with highest vote in the 22
OR we could simply vote for our starting 18, THEN vote for the I/C spots like:
  • Midfielders first this time - 5 to start on field
  • Backs - 6 starters
  • Forwards - 6 starters
  • Starting ruckman (again, quick vote but important)
  • Interchange spots 1 + 2 (from top rated/voted 5 from first three votes)
  • Interchange spots 3 + 4 (from any/all who received votes including 3 not chosen above)
  • Emergencies - 4 from everyone else

Thoughts on Option 1 or 2, peeps?
Option 1.

7 defenders, 7 mids, 1 ruck, 7 forwards.

SPS should be played as a high half forward, rotating mid. The player kicking inside 50.

Him and Jack Martin as the primary players delivering I50...

*drool*

*drool*
Reckon most of us could get a kick if those two were delivering it lace out

*drool*

Inside 50s are an area for big improvement for us. Player average rankings has our highest at 17, Sam Walsh. Then Ed Curnow at 21, then daylight, and then Gibbons at 41.

For context of a high quality disposer by foot, Merrett came in third.

Need a rethink of our transitioning through the midfield.

In a best 22 which I've just now scrapped up in my head, we can easily have SPS rotating between the wing and on the HFF delivering the ball inside 50, similarly to how I probably see Murphy going too.

With this structure, it also allows both Gibbons and Walsh to feature guts. Imagine what would happen if we actually started playing our 2 time JJ Liston trophy winner and 2019 Rising Star in their natural positions.

Inside 50s are an area for big improvement for us. Player average rankings has our highest at 17, Sam Walsh. Then Ed Curnow at 21, then daylight, and then Gibbons at 41.

For context of a high quality disposer by foot, Merrett came in third.

Need a rethink of our transitioning through the midfield.
Where do you find this sort of list?

Just as a player, J. He hasn’t been a priority on the field, thus on the outer.

I get that, but I am not sure it is correct.

My understanding is that when he took over in 2019 he basically guaranteed to LOB that he would play senior footy for the remainder of the season.

I wouldn't be reading much into 2020, compromised year, away from home, injuries. It all adds up and not everyone adapts.

2021 is a big year for him though, that much we can agree on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a best 22 which I've just now scrapped up in my head, we can easily have SPS rotating between the wing and on the HFF delivering the ball inside 50, similarly to how I probably see Murphy going too.

With this structure, it also allows both Gibbons and Walsh to feature guts. Imagine what would happen if we actually started playing our 2 time JJ Liston trophy winner and 2019 Rising Star in their natural positions.

Sam Walsh to midfield sounds great.

On SPS in 2020, he ran sideways a lot and completed effective 15 to 20 metres kicks. Gained us little ground. This was just me watching the games. But checking stats today ....for metres gained, he is one of the worst in 2020 despite a creative HBF role.ranked way down in the 300s. As against Walsh in the 40s.

I hope Teague looks to players who push forward Which matches our transition strategy and recruitment. They basically recruited saad and zac meaning get out SPS.

SPS 167 metres gained average. It is not his first tendency To go forward in 2020. he simply needs to improve in 2021.

Crisp is a midfielder turned hbf. 340 metres gained. Vlastuin is a midfielder turned defender who is bog average and he averaged an extra 100 metres gained than SPS.

metres gained shows intent.

I get that, but I am not sure it is correct.

My understanding is that when he took over in 2019 he basically guaranteed to LOB that he would play senior footy for the remainder of the season.

I wouldn't be reading much into 2020, compromised year, away from home, injuries. It all adds up and not everyone adapts.

2021 is a big year for him though, that much we can agree on.

Personally, i'd be shocked if O'Brien is in our 22 bar considerable numbers of players being injured.

I can't get him anywhere near the 25 atm. I think he sits about 30th in getting a game.

If he rips up pre-season and impresses in the early games, then all power to him. I want him to be good enough, but he's well back imho.

Sam Walsh to midfield sounds great.

On SPS in 2020, he ran sideways a lot and completed effective 15 to 20 metres kicks. Gained us little ground. This was just me watching the games. But checking stats today ....for metres gained, he is one of the worst in 2020 despite a creative HBF role.ranked way down in the 300s. As against Walsh in the 40s.

I hope Teague looks to players who push forward Which matches our transition strategy and recruitment. They basically recruited saad and zac meaning get out SPS.

SPS 167 metres gained average. It is not his first tendency To go forward in 2020. he simply needs to improve in 2021.

Crisp is a midfielder turned hbf. 340 metres gained. Vlastuin is a midfielder turned defender who is bog average and he averaged an extra 100 metres gained than SPS.

metres gained shows intent.
Averaged about 250 meters gained in 2019 when played in the midfield. I just feel that SPS stil offers a great deal when played in position, and just that one stat won't always show it.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Averaged about 250 meters gained in 2019 when played in the midfield. I just feel that SPS stil offers a great deal when played in position, and just that one stat won't always show it.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

235 metres gained in 2019 which put him 264th in that year. Via footy wire. Just needs another step up is all I’m saying. And I agree, only one stat So there are other things to like about him.

I think 2021 is an important year.

Think he is currently the worst midfielder / flanker we have to taking on the opposition....of those that played most games in 2020.

I'm picking Samo as a half forward, so I put Dow in as the 6th.
I'm picking Willo in the defensive 7, spending some time on the wing, rather than picking him as a mid.

Find it too hard to pick a wing from LOB/Cottrell/Newnes without seeing the pre-season.

Early indications show that it will be a race between SPS and Murph for the sixth spot. I dare say the loser or the battle will make a spot up forward or on the bench their own. Both best 22 fully fit and will absolutely play Round 1.

LOVE seeing Zaccy Williams get plenty of love in the mids. Teaguey and the coaching group will enjoy seeing that confidence from their fans. That's why we paid him big to come across.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back