Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who cares? It had a peak audience of 43.000 watching a VFL program and that is all that counts in the PR rating world!

sure it is. for a start, these are ALL average ratings. Not peak, not reach. and if it didnt matter to ratings, then these wouldnt have several different programs assigned. The different programs are assigned specifically for ratings purposes.

Its double what anyone should have been expecting. Fox ratings about 1/3rd of FTA ratings normally. VFL broadcasts on 7 typically rate about 45k outside of finals. To get 40k on Fox is outstanding

Be good :) if News were to let us in on the data:

its a lot harder to cancel something so close to its starting time. The venues would already be set up with workers and fans already arriving. The lockdown takes a little time to take effect as well.

The only sporting event that I can recall which has been cancelled on the day of a lockdown was the F1. And it fair to say that left a lot of people annoyed and it was chaotic.

The lockdown was announced a good 5 hours or so before the event. There would not have been many, if any, staff at or on their way to the venue. Certainly no fans.

The lockdown was announced a good 5 hours or so before the event.
The same thing happened with the Australian Open tennis in Melbourne in February. Lockdown was announced in the afternoon, fans were still able to attend the night session with a lockdown starting at midnight. The match ended up going past midnight so the stadium was cleared at 11.30pm.

The same thing happened with the Australian Open tennis in Melbourne in February. Lockdown was announced in the afternoon, fans were still able to attend the night session with a lockdown starting at midnight. The match ended up going past midnight so the stadium was cleared at 11.30pm.

Still doesn't really make sense when we're told that crowds are bad tomorrow but not today.

Although I reckon the Wildcats crowd was half what it would have otherwise been.

Still doesn't really make sense when we're told that crowds are bad tomorrow but not today.

Although I reckon the Wildcats crowd was half what it would have otherwise been.
AT some point, there is a cutoff, and whenever that is, there is a before, and an after. There must be some delay, I think they would hit some legal issues coming out and going, state lockdown, as of RIGHT NOW.

sure it is. for a start, these are ALL average ratings. Not peak, not reach. and if it didnt matter to ratings, then these wouldnt have several different programs assigned. The different programs are assigned specifically for ratings purposes.
ALL ratings are an estimated average even Foxtel don't know how many are actually watching at any given time as the set top boxes don't/cant count all the viewers watching each box.
Same goes for Pubs and clubs so yes ALL the ratings figures are only a rough estimate
The 43,000 is only the estimated viewers at its peak it could have been many more!
BTW I have been involved in TV/Radio advertising/marketing campaigns for many years for a company I owned and other companies I worked for so I do know what I'm talking about!

Last edited:
ALL ratings are an estimated average even Foxtel don't know how many are actually watching at any given time as the set top boxes don't/cant count all the viewers watching each box.
Same goes for Pubs and clubs so yes ALL the ratings figures are only a rough estimate
The 43,000 is only the estimated viewers at its peak it could have been many more!
BTW I have been involved in TV/Radio advertising/marketing campaigns for many years for a company I owned and other companies I worked for so I do know what I'm talking about!

Sure.

Then you also know that you the 43,000 viewers doesnt represent a peak of anything. But especially the match for which this wasnt a rating. No one gives a hoot about prematch or post match ratings, and if they did you'd see a much bigger deal made about AFL grand final ratings where the pre and post match as well as the match ALL outrate some Origin games in a lot of years.

After reading that, I don't think you do.

But back on topic, OK numbers last night:

Greater Western Sydney Giants v Western Bulldogs
Seven/7mate 705,000 (Metro 531,000 Regional 174,000)
Fox Footy 182,000

After reading that, I don't think you do.

But back on topic, OK numbers last night:

Greater Western Sydney Giants v Western Bulldogs
Seven/7mate 705,000 (Metro 531,000 Regional 174,000)
Fox Footy 182,000

What was the actual crowd at the game?!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting tonight that all level 4 tickets are exhausted for public while behind both goals remain available.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They were charging $70 for an adult ticket on level 1 behind the goals until they changed it last night to $39. Should have done it days ago.

CROWD: 56,418 at the MCG pretty ordinary! That's 28,000 les than was allowed
So are where all the people/media squealing that 85% wasn't enough?

I think a lot of people esp older ones are still scared of covid and the painfully slow vaccine roll is not helping so I doubt that tomorrow will get much more than 78,000 at the G.

Last edited:
AFL site isn't showing the crowd figure yet, but I would have guessed around 11k as well.
Three weeks ago the crowd was a tick under 10k, so I'm guessing an extra 1000 were in for this one.
The AFL still haven't posted crowd figures for the Geelong and Carlton games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back