Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I note the Saints reserved seating bays are only 40-50% utilised from what I can see around level 1 and 2 on the city side.

Whilst it’s terrific seat holders can sit in their seats, it exacerbates an old problem of reducing total actual capacity on match day due to no shows.

This game isn’t a sellout but in due course I can potentially imagine a club like the Bombers locking the gates with only 38-40,000 in the house.

Until COVID goes away and everyone’s comfortable going back to the footy this will be an issue.

Crowd at Marvel last night was 26,712 - probably a couple of thousand lower then anticipated but there were major delays for people on the Geelong train line due to track works (buses between Southern Cross and Wyndham Vale where people then needed to get on a train back to Geelong, trip would have taken around 2hrs which would have put people off attending

Last edited:

Crowd at Marvel last night was 26,712 - probably a couple of thousand lower then anticipated but there were major delays for people of the Geelong train line due to track works (buses between Southern Cross and Wyndham Vale where people then needed to get on a train back to Geelong, trip would have taken around 2hrs which would have put people off attending

That’s still pretty good if you ask me. Anything relatively close to 30,000 at Marval stadium this year is like a 47- 55,000 at the ‘G

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That’s still pretty good if you ask me. Anything relatively close to 30,000 at Marval stadium this year is like a 47- 55,000 at the ‘G

Crowds still appear down around 20% on what we would expect or recorded in 2019. Under normal circumstances last night felt like it should’ve been a 33-34,000 type crowd to me.

I think Friday nights in the CBD are not easy for Geelong fans to attend and the cold wet weather would not have helped either.
The crowd is a bit disappointing but to be expected.

Crowd at Marvel last night was 26,712 - probably a couple of thousand lower then anticipated but there were major delays for people of the Geelong train line due to track works (buses between Southern Cross and Wyndham Vale where people then needed to get on a train back to Geelong, trip would have taken around 2hrs which would have put people off attending
Still a bit of a downer crowd.. especially after Dogs Blues Mother’s Day drew another 1000 than this game I believe.

Then again it was freezing and I think some Geelong public transport was down.

Crowds still appear down around 20% on what we would expect or recorded in 2019. Under normal circumstances last night felt like it should’ve been a 33-34,000 type crowd to me.
I think you are 100% correct. The Australian has a story today on why football crowds are down this season.

It will be interesting to see how many attend the Hawks vs North game in Launceston today,they are capping numbers at a bit over 13000 for that game.

Saints v Hawks drew a similar crowd for the 4.35pm Saturday slot as well.
I think the Saturday 4:35pm slots become one of the highest drawing time slots BTW.

Most games played in this time slot draw strongly, especially at Marvel. The Sunday 4:40pm slots the bad one.

Will be interesting to see the Tiger turnout tonight also.

30-35k is the ceiling for most GWS games at the G so I’d expect a low 20-25k tonight potentially.

Coming off a loss and at the soulless concrete Boulder against a team who brings 0 support may see the lowest Tiger crowd in many years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see the Tiger turnout tonight also.

30-35k is the ceiling for most GWS games at the G so I’d expect a low 20-25k tonight potentially.

Coming off a loss and at the soulless concrete Boulder against a team who brings 0 support may see the lowest Tiger crowd in many years.

As Marvel Tennent have come to realise, Like for like Marvel crowds are always around 5-10% lower than an equivalent fixture at the MCG with fewer walk ups, mainly the AFL/MCC members not turning up.

Under normal circumstances it feels like a 31-32,000 type MCG crowd on a Saturday night. Take off 20% (COVID) and 5% (MCG factor) and I predict ~24-25,000.

Heard this on the PA at the ground on the TV

attendance at York Park for Hawthorn v North Melbourne - 9121
About the same as Hawks last game there,not to bad considering both teams are at the bottom of ladder allthough a fair way from the 13000 plus it was restricted to today.

About the same as Hawks last game there,not to bad considering both teams are at the bottom of ladder allthough a fair way from the 13000 plus it was restricted to today.
I think par should have been 5 figures.

two Victorian/"Tasmanian" clubs and though it was the bottom 2 sides, that should have given hope to the set of fans(not so many neutrals)

3rd lowest at the venue, lowest all Victorian clash. But its probably not fair to compare previous years to this year due to covid

Good crowd in Sydney! A little bit over 31k
Saturday afternoon is traditionally the best crowd drawing slot for the Swans over time. Games against the Power and Eagles I’m fairly recent memory I seem to remember as being outlier crowds on the upside in this slot.

A sunny day also contributing to a really good rollup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back