Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

41,051 at the G today.

Continues the trend of much lower crowds than would be expected under more normal circumstances.
That’s about 30% below what I would’ve expected for this fixture under normal circumstances (55,000). The game may have some work to do to get people back to the game, even after COVID procedures get relaxed. Some people’s habits may have permanently changed.

I won’t be at Marvel Stadium next week. It will be the first game in Victoria I’ve missed for about 13 years. Essendon are not delivering a consistent effort from week to week as promised or a showing any evidence of a “blue collar team” so I can’t be bothered with all the COVID hurdles.
i doubt I will be alone in this respect.

That’s about 30% below what I would’ve expected for this fixture under normal circumstances (55,000). The game may have some work to do to get people back to the game, even after COVID procedures get relaxed. Some people’s habits may have permanently changed.

I won’t be at Marvel Stadium next week. It will be the first game in Victoria I’ve missed for about 13 years. Essendon are not delivering a consistent effort from week to week as promised or a showing any evidence of a “blue collar team” so I can’t be bothered with all the COVID hurdles.
the standing room restrictions are what does it for me. Being forced upstairs means I think twice

I think both our games might struggle to reach 25,000 next week

Yeah, am wondering that too as I fully expected a year with no going to footy would have huge demand and full houses. Maybe a segment of fans found they missed it much less than they thought?

I love how people were calling our crowd of 23k dissapointing a few weeks ago. The fact is, crowds are going to be down for years until this covid thing blows over.

Yeah, am wondering that too as I fully expected a year with no going to footy would have huge demand and full houses. Maybe a segment of fans found they missed it much less than they thought?

Or there are a lot of people who won't hop on trains or go to events like sporting matches until they feel safe to. Currently barely 1% of the population have even been vaccinated in Australia

41,051 at the G today.

Continues the trend of much lower crowds than would be expected under more normal circumstances.

Yes agree but still, 41K is on the low side. Was at least expecting upwards of 50K. I have some mates who said they will not go until they can go freely, I said you could be waiting all year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.... Ir they’ve enjoyed watching it on TV.... Or the kids do other things.. Apparently Auskick signups are well down as well which must feed indirectly into attendances.

Hopefully over time crowds normalise. The game may need to consider a raft of methods to attract fans back to the footy in due course.

You’d think both these crowds would’ve been 25% higher under normal circumstances.
Dogs vs Eagles (last 5 at Docklands)
  • 2021 = 21,391
  • 2018 = 22,868
  • 2017 = 29,671
  • 2016 = 28,769
  • 2015 = 22,366
Dockers vs Giants (last 5 in Perth)
  • 2021 = 27,625
  • 2020 = 24,406
  • 2016 = 28,201
  • 2015 = 34,625
  • 2014 = 33,597

• 2021 = 27,625
  • 2020 = 24,406
  • 2016 = 28,201
  • 2015 = 34,625
  • 2014 = 33,597

To be fair, 2014-2016 were at Subiaco and 2020 was obviously covid restricted.

Normally i'd expect 35k at the game. That's pretty much the base crowd for Freo at Optus - there have been lower crowds but they've been weather affected.

I think both our games might struggle to reach 25,000 next week
Dogs vs Eagles (last 5 at Docklands)
  • 2021 = 21,391
  • 2018 = 22,868
  • 2017 = 29,671
  • 2016 = 28,769
  • 2015 = 22,366
  • 2021 = 27,625
  • 2020 = 24,406
  • 2016 = 28,201
  • 2015 = 34,625
  • 2014 = 33,597
Only build is that today’s game likely match up of top 4 aspirants. I assume that quality correlated with the 28/29,000 iterations of Dogs v Eagles?

Maybe a segment of fans found they missed it much less than they thought?
Possibly. My understanding is that NRL & A League crowds have had a larger % decline, cf AFL declines? Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know the % decline in Melb. crowds, cf % decline in AFL games played in other parts of Aust.?

Melb. had a far more severe & lengthy lockdown- I assume the covid fear factor is stronger. It has also been reported that public transport useage has dropped considerably in Melb., cf pre covid useage; & road congestion is similar to pre covid congestion, despite many people in office jobs still working from home- a fewer non-CBD workers visiting the CBD.

Or the kids do other things.. Apparently Auskick signups are well down as well which must feed indirectly into attendances.
What is your evidence of this, & where, re Auskick? Please provide details.

The Herald Sun reported 21.3.21 that the Yarra JFL in Melb. is reporting record jnr FC registration nos. for jnr comp. footy.

Also, Fitzroy FC (VAFA) has more snr players in March 2021, cf March 2020
It will run 4 adult male (+ U19's) teams ( & several female adult teams) in 2021. It planned to run only 3 adult male teams (+U19's) in 2020.
I also understand that Marcellin Old Boys FC (VAFA) has more male players in March 2021, cf March 2020.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back