Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The COVID Capacity crowd of 78,113 was the lowest crowd for the Pies/Bombers ANZAC Day fixture since 2005 (70,033, standalone monday, 11v16 going in)

Also had a reduced capacity that day due to the rebuilding of the northern half of the G. (see also 2004 & 2003)

The 73k in 1999 is still the only 'poor' crowd in the history of the event.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Not being a standalone game would have had an impact. Pretty ordinary ratings in Adelaide where it was sandwiched between 2 other games.

But an interesting comparison - 53k in Brisbane, compared to 84k for the NRL. Not sure whether that's a bad rating for the NRL, but it's pretty good for the AFL given it's a non Lions game.

Eighteen Seventy

Senior List
Apr 4, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The crowd of 33,125 was a bit ordinary for the Port v Saints match yesterday 40,000 would have been a pass!
The game was sold out, and was only slightly down from the crowd at the game against Richmond 2 weeks ago. The capacity isn't even 40,000, it's more like 38,000 at the moment. Thankfully, we'll be returning to a 100% capacity from the Showdown onwards.

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
What is the H&A record for Richmond V Dogs?
Don’t remember too many in recent times, seems it’s always across at Marvel.

I think it was 56K in 2018 from memory.
Normal circumstances you would have to think it would give it a shake with you’d expect a big doggies Turn up as well as strong neutral viewing in the MCC and AFL. Factors considering this year, if it got over 50k a great result?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Normal circumstances you would have to think it would give it a shake with you’d expect a big doggies Turn up as well as strong neutral viewing in the MCC and AFL. Factors considering this year, if it got over 50k a great result?

The record is 68k in 1974.

Nearly 57k in 2018 and 51k in 1983 the only times this fixture has reached 50k.

Carlton/North (2) and Carlton/Bulldogs (0) are the only matchups between the ‘Big 4’ and other Vic teams to have less 50k crowds.

Last edited:

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Carlton/North (2) and Carlton/Bulldogs (0) are the only matchups between the ‘Big 4’ and other Vic teams to have less 50k crowds.
This isn’t correct.

Essendon V Western Bulldogs (MCG)
67,157 (1998)

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

1998 - 67,157 (Ess V WB)

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Richmond were good when dogs were bad, then clubs were poor for extended periods, then dogs were good for a while and now Richmond have come good, with the dogs coming good again looking the best in their history.

We have also never faced eachother in finals.

There’s never been a better chance in history than now to have a huge crowd between the two, and now Covid comes along and is going to potentially ruin that too.

Richmond were good when dogs were bad, then clubs were poor for extended periods, then dogs were good for a while and now Richmond have come good, with the dogs coming good again looking the best in their history.

We have also never faced eachother in finals.

There’s never been a better chance in history than now to have a huge crowd between the two, and now Covid comes along and is going to potentially ruin that too.

This would be similar with Collingwood too I suspect. A lot of close to full Docklands games instead of MCG during home and away. Although round 1 2017 was good.

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Hoping for a bumper crowd this evening! Get there Bulldog fans bc we know the Tiger army will definitely be there as it’s a home game. Go well!

Hoping for a bumper crowd this evening! Get there Bulldog fans bc we know the Tiger army will definitely be there as it’s a home game. Go well!

Dogs allocation did sell out. Not too much on public outside of some Q sections for what it's worth.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Dogs allocation did sell out. Not too much on public outside of some Q sections for what it's worth.
I wonder how tickets are selling for tonight’s game, and Sundays game at the MCG? I assume the AFL members will be reasonably full for the Sunday match.

Hard to know what crowds to expect based on actual ticket sales. My guess would be

Richmond V Bulldogs - 52,000
Essendon V Carlton - 57,000

I wonder how tickets are selling for tonight’s game, and Sundays game at the MCG? I assume the AFL members will be reasonably full for the Sunday match.

Hard to know what crowds to expect based on actual ticket sales. My guess would be

Richmond V Bulldogs - 52,000
Essendon V Carlton - 57,000

Don't forget the marquee Collingwood v Gold Coast game on Saturday at the G. I'm annoyed we haven't gone back to 100% capacity to cope with the demand for this one.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
I have the horrible feeling that by the end of the match I will be there wishing I wasn’t.
nah you guys will win, backs against the wall.

my feeling - if the players want buckley to stay on they will win. if they dont, if he has lost the group, they will lose the game and like when suns beat carlton and cost ratten his job straight away, the same will happen with bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back