Status
Not open for further replies.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
They want the big clubs to play. Melbourne isn’t a big Victorian powerhouse. Kangaroos v Collingwood or Essendon is required

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If the Kangaroos are ever in a situation where they need or want to play Collingwood or Essendon in Hobart, then they’re truly stuffed. These games should be blockbusters at Marvel in their planning.

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Has anyone else noticed how the last couple of weeks has seen entire components of the MCG closed?

Friday night level 4 of the Olympic stand was completely closed while today it looked like level 4 of the Ponsford stand was closed.

This is something I don’t think I’ve ever seen before, but both games ensured the bottom levels were full and the ground look much better.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Has anyone else noticed how the last couple of weeks has seen entire components of the MCG closed?

Friday night level 4 of the Olympic stand was completely closed while today it looked like level 4 of the Ponsford stand was closed.

This is something I don’t think I’ve ever seen before, but both games ensured the bottom levels were full and the ground look much better.

I’m sure it’s cost cutting measures. Less cleaning etc?

billyboutsis

All Australian
Sep 23, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
When we played you guys last weekend, 24 hours out from the game you could only purchase level 1 across ponsford and non afl members section of the Southern Stand along with 1-2 bays N9/N10

the sections at the back of the ponsford & southern stand top decks deemed to be general reserve/admission in the were all showing as exhausted

The club realistically would have missed out on another at least another 2-3000 supporters/neutrals attendinf due to MCG/Ticketek’s system forcing people to pay for an upgrade to a more expensive level 1 seat. I can only imagine how many said “stuff it”

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They want the big clubs to play. Melbourne isn’t a big Victorian powerhouse. Kangaroos v Collingwood or Essendon is required

They are never going to get those two teams play here but they definitely need a bit better than all the rubbish games that even Melbourne can't pull a crowd too.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
They are never going to get those two teams play here but they definitely need a bit better than all the rubbish games that even Melbourne can't pull a crowd too.
Define "rubbish games".

Who would actually want to pay to see Collingwood at the moment?

Yet apparently the people of Tasmania would rather see them than seeing a red hot undefeated side like they had on show yesterday and yet hardly anyone showed.

Last edited:

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Define "rubbish games".

Yet apparently the people of Tasmania would rather see them than seeing a red hot undefeated side like they had on show yesterday and yet hardly anyone showed.
Most people I talk to say they want their own team and are sick of going to these games that draw low numbers on the mainland.

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

Geelong after many years (since 1993) will finally get Essendon to drive up the Princes Highway for 4 points. Tasmania could be a possibility with the right game..?

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Geelong after many years (since 1993) will finally get Essendon to drive up the Princes Highway for 4 points. Tasmania could be a possibility with the right game..?

Well we can only hope but it will be interesting to see what happens if we don't get our own team because clearly having north here for many more years isn't going to work.

gaelictiogar

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2006
east melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
~20% down on an equivalent non COVID year for a 3:20 Sunday game. I guess we shouldn’t lose sight of fact we had over 57,000 at a footy match during a pandemic. All’s pretty good.

Correct Dave ( and how are you mate it's a while since I've been posting ).

It's still impossible to truly compare crowds this year with any pre covid numbers. I have had few expectations of really big crowds.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Correct Dave ( and how are you mate it's a while since I've been posting ).

It's still impossible to truly compare crowds this year with any pre covid numbers. I have had few expectations of really big crowds.
I was think exactly the same thing mate. Great to see you’re back! Always good to read your educated and reasoned opinions. All’s well, wish my team was winning a few more games😄

It feels like crowds are all around 15-20% down due to COVID related reasons explained throughout this topic. They will slowly but surely return in time.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Define "rubbish games".

who would want to watch a match where one side was $1.02 to win. Only the fans of the clubs that's for sure.

add in the Covid, the late call on the match, lack of door sales and restricted capacity and you get a low crowd.

Rouel_14

Club Legend
Apr 27, 2014
Bendigo, Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Predictions for Friday night?

Normal circumstances you would hope for 70k, but expect 65k.

This year I’m struggling to see Cats pulling more suppers to the G than the Dogs and think 55k may pull it well and truely up.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Well this time it featured the hottest team in the comp and Tasmanians still weren't interested. It's getting harder to believe that Tasmania is actually a footy mad state.

Perhaps they've been put off by the offerings over the past 5 years & are responding accordingly. The AFL only want their money.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

This year I’m struggling to see Cats pulling more suppers to the G than the Dogs and think 55k may pull it well and truely up.

Being the GF replay it will get a big build up.. That alone on a fine nights worth probably an extra 4-5,000 neutrals.

I will go 59,000.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Most people I talk to say they want their own team and are sick of going to these games that draw low numbers on the mainland.

& good on the Taswegians.
Sooner or later the AFL need to address the Melbourne clubs that cant pull a crowd in their own right.

weewilly

All Australian
Jul 18, 2003
Other Teams
Swans
& good on the Taswegians.
Sooner or later the AFL need to address the Melbourne clubs that cant pull a crowd in their own right.
The millions the Tasmanian Govt pay both Hawthorn and North Melbourne would be better spent on setting up their own team and with Hawthorn and North both bottom 4 teams the crowds won't improve much this season!

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The millions the Tasmanian Govt pay both Hawthorn and North Melbourne would be better spent on setting up their own team and with Hawthorn and North both bottom 4 teams the crowds won't improve much this season!
Especially with North to play both Gold Coast and GWS later this season.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

:thumbsu:

The leading protagonist Premier Gutwein has got another term.

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

Cats home game I think & their supporters will need to come in big numbers. I don’t think they will to be honest. Tiger supporters will be doing bulk of the work I reckon to get it near 60,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back