Remove this Banner Ad

5 Taylor Adams
4 Jack Crisp
3 Darcy Moore
2 Scott Pendlebury
1 Jordan De Goey

First Quarter
Starting match ups
Centre square - Pendles v Walsh Adams v Cripps De Goey v Zac Williams Grundy v Pittonet
Wings Tyler Brown v Newnes, Crisp v Settefield

Observations -
* After opening bounce, Sier attends most of the centre square match ups. Noble starts in defence on Fisher but then plays wings. WHE and Crisp plays some wing as well.
*Grundy was actually creative with his hit outs both in the centre and around the ground and we look so much better.
*Crisp looks great in the middle of the ground. Has an understanding with Grundy.
*Daicos ineffectual in the centre.
*Our forward line functions well when others are selfless. Elliott engages Weitering and takes him away from the contest and that created a mark for Checkers. WHE did a similar dummy lead to create an opportunity for Elliott.
*IQ gets caught ball watching on one occassion.
*De Goey starting midfield and then pushing forward is ideal.
*Low tackling game so Sidebottom looks good.
*Pendles up forward works.
*Moore still looks like our best weapon off half back. So far five quarters into this season our best counter attacks are launched through Moore. (Not Noble, Not IQ).
*Buckley must have thought Tyler Brown was a wingman lol (has not attended one centre square this season).

**My main comment and food for thought after five quarters into the season is
Should we recruit another key defender and free up Darcy Moore to be used as an attacking weapon off half back? Why waste him on the key defender?
I understand defensively he is great but his dash off half back is superb.

End of quarter.

Second Quarter
Starting Match ups
Centre: Daicos v Zac Williams, Pendles v Cripps, Adams v Walsh , Grundy v Pittonet (Crisp starts on a wing). (Daicos definitely better that quarter and gets multiple centre bounces, Sier and Elliott also stints in the centre square)

Observations -
* Five goal lead and Maynard has a brain fade. Telegraphs a pass to IQ and Pittonet intercepts by leaving Grundy while Grundy i guess thought Maynard would pass to him.......then the game goes downhill. I can see why Maynard would frustrate Buckley. Very low percentage play from Maynard.
* IQ was poor on Gibbons. Played okay at end of quarter but slow start to the season for IQ.
*Grundy tapping the ball straight down at his feet should be a big NO NO. Nothing good happens.
*Grundy a few times in marking contests was out muscled by Pittonet.
*Walsh starts influencing the game - he has second efforts when our players don't
*Worst passage of play was from centre bounce after that Gibbons out of bounds dribble goal - Pendles has the ball and instead of hand balling to Crisp on the wing, he elects to handball blindly back to Adams in the middle. Walsh gets the ball and starts bursting out of the square. Noble leaves Gibbons to run at Walsh. Howe leaves Fisher to go to Gibbons. There is then a chain reaction and Madgen charges off Martin etc. Gibbons snaps around the corner to Martin who marks all by himself in the pocket. Goal.
*Gibbons/Martin/Fisher wreaked havoc.
*Crisp finally goes into the middle onto Walsh. (IMO Crisp should have been in the middle earlier)
*WHE only goes onto the wing very late in quarters.
* Cal Brown can tackle very well.
*Noble is a poor decision maker and lacks composure and so far offers very little offensively.
*Daicos had a good quarter. He looks at home roaming around goal.
*Moore takes that great mark but without him creating our counter attacks we don't look that dangerous.
*Our wingman when Noble/Tyler Brown are more negating players. Crisp is the only one that offers an attacking threat. However we also need him in the middle. (Whereas last week the Dogs had Bailey Smith a two way running. ball winning wingman who chopped us up).

End of Quarter.

Third Quarter

The first centre bounce after the break Buckley goes with - Sidebottom v Zac Williams, Pendlebury v Cripps and Adams v Walsh and Grundy v Pittonet. Crisp starts on the wing against Setterfield. Tyler Brown is on the other wing against Curnow. IQ starts on Jack Martin. De Goey starts the term at Full Forward

Observations -
For me this quarter is where there were a few breakdowns in communication.
* IQ has his best quarter for the season. One great tackle (holding the ball on Jack Martin), runs off half back after a switch from Howe and created (Jack Martin gets caught napping) - even has a bounce during the quarter. Brown ends up snapping a point. It was also noticeable when he was off the ground. Not sure why he was taken off so early into the quarter??
For the Adams freak goal (First goal of the third quarter), Grundy tapped the ball boundary side and into space.
* Once again Pendles makes a poor decision during the quarter when electing to handball (Ignored handball option to Madgen) back into the corridor and Harry McKay intercepts. (result was a point to Fogarty but eventually Carlton get a goal).
* IQ gets taken off the ground (17 min left in quarter) for a break along with Grundy. Ends up coming back on with 14 minutes left and during that period Jack Martin roams free (Had Madgen) and gets creative. We were lucky Martin did not do more damage.
*When IQ eventually returns to the ground, Jack Martin is now playing midfield. Pendles does not body check Martin and Martin helps get the next clearance.
*After that it appears at various stages Adams and Thomas go to Martin and shut him out again.
*Sidey one shocking clanger - has a four on one but pinpoints the Carlton player at our 50m.
* At one stoppage in Carlton forward line about 20m out from goal, no one picks up Zac Williams, Williams eventually gets the ball and snaps a pass to McKay. McKay kicks the goal.
*With 5 minutes left in quarter and Pies under the pump, Crisp is finally put into the middle and goes to Jack Martin. WHE goes to the wing to replace Crisp.
*WHE a non event that quarter as he mainly played up forward.
*Noble gets caught in between the arcs a lot. When we have the ball, the opposition will put a player on him. When Carlton have the ball he is like a spare player but does not seem to influence. At times he was on Dow, Fogarty.
*Callum Brown takes too long to dispose of the ball after a mark. Always ends up being to a contest.
*Tyler Brown was finally active in some around the ground stoppages. Spent a stoppage on Cripps and Walsh. His hands were good. Still has not attended one centre bounce though.
* Cox at times had a good mismatch against Plowman.
*Buckley probably took too long to shift De Goey from the forward line back into the midfield.

End of Quarter

Fourth Quarter

First significant change is that Crisp starts the quarter in the centre. Grundy v Pittonet, Adams v Curnow and Crisp v Walsh. WHE and Noble start on the wings.

Observations -

*Crisp, Grundy, Adams attend all 5 centre bounces. Pendles attends 2, Sier 1 and Sidey 2.
*WHE and Noble were both decent that quarter.
*We took time of the clock relatively well.
*Adams super tackle on Zac Williams
*It is evident throughout the match that we executed multiple last ditched tackles. There was a good intent.

End of match

Last edited:
He isn’t though fairly sure he conceded 4 goals this match only to be beaten thoroughly by Joe Danhiher the next week.

He isn’t though fairly sure he conceded 4 goals this match only to be beaten thoroughly by Joe Danhiher the next week.

In a genuine one on one contest Moore has been good.

One mark (and resultant goal) from McKay was unstoppable due to a poor turnover in our forward line. We get smashed in transition. Another McKay goal was from a free kick. Two goals at half time.

McKay did win the Coleman medal, so i don't expect Moore to keep him goalless.

I will make comments on Moore v Daniher when i get to that game lol

In a genuine one on one contest Moore has been good.

One mark (and resultant goal) from McKay was unstoppable due to a poor turnover in our forward line. We get smashed in transition. Another McKay goal was from a free kick. Two goals at half time.

McKay did win the Coleman medal, so i don't expect Moore to keep him goalless.

I will make comments on Moore v Daniher when i get to that game lol
In genuine one on one contests he gets bodied to easily. He relies on his athleticism and spoiling reach but lose opponents that way. The first Moore conceded wasn’t unstoppable, Moore just gave Mackay too much space and elected not to engage him one on one.

A free kick given away by Moore lol perfectly highlighting his lack of one v one ability.

I don’t excpect Moore to keep him goalless as well but he hardly lives up to to claim that he’s “great” defensively in this match.

You made a general claim on Moore’s ability in just providing examples on why that’s not case.

First Quarter
Starting match ups
Centre square - Pendles v Walsh Adams v Cripps De Goey v Zac Williams Grundy v Pittonet
Wings Tyler Brown v Newnes, Crisp v Settefield

Observations -
* After opening bounce, Sier attends most of the centre square match ups. Noble starts in defence on Fisher but then plays wings. WHE and Crisp plays some wing as well.
*Grundy was actually creative with his hit outs both in the centre and around the ground and we look so much better.
*Crisp looks great in the middle of the ground. Has an understanding with Grundy.
*Daicos ineffectual in the centre.
*Our forward line functions well when others are selfless. Elliott engages Weitering and takes him away from the contest and that created a mark for Checkers. WHE did a similar dummy lead to create an opportunity for Elliott.
*IQ gets caught ball watching on one occassion.
*De Goey starting midfield and then pushing forward is ideal.
*Low tackling game so Sidebottom looks good.
*Pendles up forward works.
*Moore still looks like our best weapon off half back. So far five quarters into this season our best counter attacks are launched through Moore. (Not Noble, Not IQ).
*Buckley must have thought Tyler Brown was a wingman lol (has not attended one centre square this season).

**My main comment and food for thought after five quarters into the season is
Should we recruit another key defender and free up Darcy Moore to be used as an attacking weapon off half back? Why waste him on the key defender?

End of quarter.

Second Quarter
Starting Match ups
Centre: Daicos v Zac Williams, Pendles v Cripps, Adams v Walsh , Grundy v Pittonet (Crisp starts on a wing). (Daicos definitely better that quarter and gets multiple centre bounces, Sier and Elliott also stints in the centre square)

Observations -
* Five goal lead and Maynard has a brain fade. Telegraphs a pass to IQ and Pittonet intercepts by leaving Grundy while Grundy i guess thought Maynard would pass to him.......then the game goes downhill. I can see why Maynard would frustrate Buckley. Very low percentage play from Maynard.
* IQ was poor on Gibbons. Played okay at end of quarter but slow start to the season for IQ.
*Grundy tapping the ball straight down at his feet should be a big NO NO. Nothing good happens.
*Grundy a few times in marking contests was out muscled by Pittonet.
*Walsh starts influencing the game - he has second efforts when our players don't
*Worst passage of play was from centre bounce after that Gibbons out of bounds dribble goal - Pendles has the ball and instead of hand balling to Crisp on the wing, he elects to handball blindly back to Adams in the middle. Walsh gets the ball and starts bursting out of the square. Noble leaves Gibbons to run at Walsh. Howe leaves Fisher to go to Gibbons. There is then a chain reaction and Madgen charges off Martin etc. Gibbons snaps around the corner to Martin who marks all by himself in the pocket. Goal.
*Gibbons/Martin/Fisher wreaked havoc.
*Crisp finally goes into the middle onto Walsh. (IMO Crisp should have been in the middle earlier)
*WHE only goes onto the wing very late in quarters.
* Cal Brown can tackle very well.
*Noble is a poor decision maker and lacks composure and so far offers very little offensively.
*Daicos had a good quarter. He looks at home roaming around goal.
*Moore takes that great mark but without him creating our counter attacks we don't look that dangerous.
*Our wingman when Noble/Tyler Brown are more negating players. Crisp is the only one that offers an attacking threat. However we also need him in the middle. (Whereas last week the Dogs had Bailey Smith a two way running. ball winning wingman who chopped us up).

End of Quarter.
Great first 1/2 summary JLC. Interesting you talk about that Pendles clanger in the middle because in that Lynch / Gawn game, we got clean centre clearances but I don't recall too many clean ones streaming out of middle with Grundy. Interested to know your thoughts on that as you watch the games.

In genuine one on one contests he gets bodied to easily. He relies on his athleticism and spoiling reach but lose opponents that way. The first Moore conceded wasn’t unstoppable, Moore just gave Mackay too much space and elected not to engage him one on one.

A free kick given away by Moore lol perfectly highlighting his lack of one v one ability.

I don’t excpect Moore to keep him goalless as well but he hardly lives up to to claim that he’s “great” defensively in this match.

You made a general claim on Moore’s ability in just providing examples on why that’s not case.
Interesting to note that halfway in the season just before the PCL injury he was rated in the top 5 defenders 1 on 1 ahead of those who actually got AAs this year like May. Liam Jones was in the top 3 but Weitering wasn't either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back