Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

No no no, they have to come from the draft, be top 10 Picks and can’t have been traded for. 🥴

So literally, if Noah Anderson says to Suns next year “trade me back to Hawthorn, I’m done”, these clowns will still say we don’t have enough young talent because we’ve “only taken Day and DGB in the top 10”.
Idiots.

*and yes, I know they’re wrong about Day too.
Maybe Brad Scott can rework the afl scoring system. You know, Generate higher scores.
All he has to do is change it so the team with the highest total draft points on its list wins.

If we are trading pick 5 it won't be until draft night to see if a miracle happens and Callaghan does a bailey Smith or Archie perkins and says he is a flight risk. If he goes to gws surely Richmond 7+15 for 5+24 makes sense so they can get Hobbs, I'd even ask for 38 as a sweetener. I'm not sold on ward as our man.

100% Agree - Richmond will be desperate to trade up if Hobbs is still available at 5. Just can’t see Greater Waste of Space or GC Golden child’s passing on Callahan unfortunately. I’m not sold on Ward either, nice player but is he worth pick 5??

Of course Barret has to come up with an interesting story, and for him "creativity" is restricted to writing a narrative that paints us Hawks as a mess.

I am not that surprised by the outcome to be honest. These guys everyone talking about aren't 24 yeas olds, so less clubs (particularly the big Melbourne clubs) will be interested in giving up top 15 draft picks to get them. Unless there is a really clear and specific need that the player fills for them, and that club thinks they are in the window and literally a win away from a premiership in the next year or two, its pretty unlikely to happen. I thought Mitchell to Tigers might have been a slim chance, but that's about it.

From the players perspective, they not at stage of life where they going to easily pack up and move interstate to grab an extra year on a contract or slightly more coin. Particularly if that is offered by a club that is struggling to establish a culture. So they happy to stay and contribute to our process, and back themselves to play some good footy the next couple of years. Not a bad outcome for a new coach.

Not saying I wouldn't have loved another early pick, but I just don't think any of us on this board would be shocked by the outcome.

I’m bullish about our kids but I think it says more about our recruiting and development systems (particularly box hill) in place at the club that have helped turn plenty of mid to late draft picks and rookies into potential AFL players. Note a lot of these guys even Scrimshaw have taken a few years to get to this level. There are also plenty of kids that didn’t make it.

But I understand what King is saying. Ultimately we are here to win flags and no team in recent history has won a flag without a strong core of A graders - particularly mids, many of who are first round draft picks. We’d be a complete anomaly to do it with anything close to our current list, and whilst we might strike gold again with our recruiting in the later round to fill our future midfield needs, the margin for error is much thinner. The earlier the draft pick the better the chance they become that A grader we need.
Yeah, my biggest gripe is that just like Sicily being taken at 64 or whatever it was and the years it took for him to be recognised, players like CJ, Kosi, Jeka could come from the clouds and deliver A grade output(CJ and Scrim are pretty much or almost there already) yet be unseen by these people, because they’re only looking for them to be a pick inside 20 to correlate that their output is actually A grade.

100% Agree - Richmond will be desperate to trade up if Hobbs is still available at 5. Just can’t see Greater Waste of Space or GC Golden child’s passing on Callahan unfortunately. I’m not sold on Ward either, nice player but is he worth pick 5??
I think you're spot on...Reckon GWS have shown their hand, they want Callaghan at 2, Mac interest is a ruse. If Hobbs or Erasmus are on the board and we aren't completely sold on either we should bleed an extra pick out of Freo or Tigers for the privilege... Mac will go to Tigers at 7 if they don't move up would make sense.

Would we rather get Hobbs at 5, or is having the 2nd opportunity (at 15) worth more than getting the (slightly?) higher rated player?

Hobbs, Ward & Erasmus would be gone by 7 - wouldn't they? Dropping us out of the running for the highest rated/quality midfielders available.

If we are trading pick 5 it won't be until draft night to see if a miracle happens and Callaghan does a bailey Smith or Archie perkins and says he is a flight risk. If he goes to gws surely Richmond 7+15 for 5+24 makes sense so they can get Hobbs, I'd even ask for 38 as a sweetener. I'm not sold on ward as our man.
Why are Richmond locked on Hobbs?

Anyone know why we decided to keep our hands on pick 59 & 65?

I think we take more than three national draft selections. Plus if last year is anything to go by, picks will fly around on draft night. They could be used, bundled to get someone in the 40s, traded into next year's draft. Who knows.

i know a lot is made of the value of top 5-10 picks and yes statistically you're more likely to strike gold there — but the reality is that building your side doesn't come down to how many picks in a specific area of the draft you have

in the right hands, two third-round picks can be more valuable than 5 picks in the top 10 (see Melbourne's top-10 drafting history)

it would've been great to secure more picks, but as it stands we have a very good track record with our drafting since MM has come to the club. A bunch of our really late picks would now go in the first round of their respective drafts — Worpel, Sicily, Hardwick for starters. Day would probably go top 5 in a redraft, and so on.

there's no reason to believe we can't find 6+ best-22 players over the next 2-3 years

while the core of our three-peat side was built with top-end picks, the pieces around it that were vital to us winning the flags (Isaac, Stratts, Poppy, Breust, Suckers, Doc, Gibson, Hill, Shiels) were all taken outside the top 15. So we still need to find the top-end talent to build around, but another year or two of draft picks to go along with our current premium core of Scrim, Day, DGB, CJ, Bramble, Kosi, Brockman etc. has enough room for growth to really take us up the ladder.

Every year there are players taken 40+ that would go top 15 in a re-draft. So, I think that how well we draft will have a much greater impact on the speed of our rebuild than having 'x' amount of top 'x' picks, like 'x' team has had.

Your move, McKenzie...

how does that work? Shouldn’t it go the other way when fs and academy picks are used?
If the picks used to match the bid are before 59 and 65, our picks will come in as the other picks disappear. Late picks generally come forward a bit every draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i know a lot is made of the value of top 5-10 picks and yes statistically you're more likely to strike gold there — but the reality is that building your side doesn't come down to how many picks in a specific area of the draft you have

in the right hands, two third-round picks can be more valuable than 5 picks in the top 10 (see Melbourne's top-10 drafting history)

it would've been great to secure more picks, but as it stands we have a very good track record with our drafting since MM has come to the club. A bunch of our really late picks would now go in the first round of their respective drafts — Worpel, Sicily, Hardwick for starters. Day would probably go top 5 in a redraft, and so on.

there's no reason to believe we can't find 6+ best-22 players over the next 2-3 years

while the core of our three-peat side was built with top-end picks, the pieces around it that were vital to us winning the flags (Isaac, Stratts, Poppy, Breust, Suckers, Doc, Gibson, Hill, Shiels) were all taken outside the top 15. So we still need to find the top-end talent to build around, but another year or two of draft picks to go along with our current premium core of Scrim, Day, DGB, CJ, Bramble, Kosi, Brockman etc. has enough room for growth to really take us up the ladder.

Every year there are players taken 40+ that would go top 15 in a re-draft. So, I think that how well we draft will have a much greater impact on the speed of our rebuild than having 'x' amount of top 'x' picks, like 'x' team has had.

Your move, McKenzie...
I think the big thing for us will be drafting our absolute stars. Something that rarely happens outside pointy end of the draft. We are developing a very good group of young players.

None I see sitting at the tippy top of players though that will really drive a premiership. (Even Day, though he already is a gun)

Saying that these players are hard to find. Top 5 draft picks will give us the best shot.

I can see us going hard for pick 3 from the Suns if GWS take Mac Andrew at 2.

Future first and a couple of other picks for pick 3 to grab Callaghan.

Nobody has cap space mate, you'd have to pay all of the salary not just a bit. Tigers and Brisbane have committed to the draft. Only stupid journos keep bringing up the Mitchell to Richmond and Gunston to Brisbane links. Omeara to Freo might be the only plausible one if he is prepared to go home to WA. They have cap space.

Did you plan to be that stupid, or can you do this on the fly.

Very impressive either way.

"Nobody has cap space ... ... ... Freo have cap space. "

Brilliant.

I think Port will want to do something in the first round, just to save face. Even if it ends up being Ladhams and 16 for 12 and a second/third or something.

Then they come out and say 'we were clear that we wanted to improve our look in the first round if we were going to trade Pete and we achieved that.'

Good call

I think the big thing for us will be drafting our absolute stars. Something that rarely happens outside pointy end of the draft. We are developing a very good group of young players.

None I see sitting at the tippy top of players though that will really drive a premiership. (Even Day, though he already is a gun)

Saying that these players are hard to find. Top 5 draft picks will give us the best shot.

i agree, but there's no real way to tell how many of them you actually need to be a contender if you have a very solid list of talent around them and a good gameplan

Richmond won three flags with really just one game-breaking superstar.

I just don't necessarily think you need 10+ top 10 picks in 2-3 years to build a premiership-winning side, as long as you draft well enough.

I'm quite bullish on our young prospects though. If they continue on the same trajectory as they did in 2021, I will definitely hold the opinion we don't necessarily need a shitton of high-end draft picks to become contenders again. However, if some of them regress and 2021 was just a flash in the pan, then I think our list will need a more serious shake-up under Sam.

Hard to see blokes like CJ, Moore etc. going backwards though considering their insane work ethic

sounds like precious has had a long tiring week
They are all just pissed off that we didn't have their fire sale in the trade period. Must have written all their pieces ready to go.....

I think Port will want to do something in the first round, just to save face. Even if it ends up being Ladhams and 16 for 12 and a second/third or something.

Then they come out and say 'we were clear that we wanted to improve our look in the first round of we were going to trade Pete and we achieved that.'
It looks like Port really wanted him gone doesn't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back