Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

The trouble with the first round pick swap along with 2&5 changing hands is that whilst it is probably fair right now, Giants are running a lot more risk than us. The only scenario where they really make us look foolish is us finishing last and them going deep in finals (certainly not impossible). Every other scenario skews more and more towards us winning the trade, and if we somehow finish above them it looks disastrous on them.

That said I like the move and think we can add something else to keep them sweet.

The trouble with the first round pick swap along with 2&5 changing hands is that whilst it is probably fair right now, Giants are running a lot more risk than us. The only scenario where they really make us look foolish is us finishing last and them going deep in finals (certainly not impossible). Every other scenario skews more and more towards us winning the trade, and if we somehow finish above them it looks disastrous on them.

That said I like the move and think we can add something else to keep them sweet.

Agreed, but if we finish above them they have bigger concerns than this potential trade. It's hard to see us finishing above 10th, and taking in finals, they finished top 6 and should be aiming for that again.

Think it really depends on who they want. Hopefully someone that is more likely to be around picks 5 - 8.

Exactly, I find the best way for people to realise how skewed a potential trade would be is to reverse the roles and see if we would take that.

Am interested in the chat for Mac Andrew. Given we have just traded for a young ruckman (Max Lynch (23)) and also have Ned Reeves (22), why would we use a top 5 pick on another young (18) ruckman, when we have so many other glaring gaps to fill? I get why we would consider Gibcus, because with DGB we would then have our two tall KPDs for the next 10+ years (particularly if we see Gibcus as a really elite key defender and have question marks over whether guys like Hobbs, Ward, Erasmus, etc are of genuine top 10 quality mids), and that would also then pretty much sort out entire backline of the future (with Siss, Dimma, CJ, Day, Scrimmers, etc), but otherwise our top 5 pick surely needs to go on an elite mid.

Yeh im with you I don't think we need either of Andrew or gibcus , I was more pointing out that one will be there at our pick and as a needs basis they suit gws more then a Callaghan will. So if we were set of Callaghan im sure we could do a deal with gws for pick 2 but it depends how much we are willing to pay.

Agreed, but if we finish above them they have bigger concerns than this potential trade. It's hard to see us finishing above 10th, and taking in finals, they finished top 6 and should be aiming for that again.

Think it really depends on who they want. Hopefully someone that is more likely to be around picks 5 - 8.
I'm inclined to agree with you Collins-Langford-Ayres , a club can't have a defeatist attitude; they will be banking on a top-4 finish and it's what they'll be selling to their players, their board, and their supporter.

I'm inclined to agree with you Collins-Langford-Ayres , a club can't have a defeatist attitude; they will be banking on a top-4 finish and it's what they'll be selling to their players, their board, and their supporter.
Supporter

Hahaha

GWS

I like it!

Giving up pick 5 + future first to get pick 2 + 13 isn't good business for mine . Especially when you throw our pick 24 in there as well. There would be other ways to ' Skin ' without giving up pick 5.

I honestly think we would be better off trading back than up (if we were going to) which i doubt.

Only scenario i would be somewhat keen would be if Richmond are as keen on Hobbs as the media have made out and they don't trade ahead of us. Would be okay with saying we are taking Hobbs, you want him give us 7 + whatever. If not just take him.

I honestly think we would be better off trading back than up (if we were going to) which i doubt.

Only scenario i would be somewhat keen would be if Richmond are as keen on Hobbs as the media have made out and they don't trade ahead of us. Would be okay with saying we are taking Hobbs, you want him give us 7 + whatever. If not just take him.
I'd be happy with taking Hobbs if not Ward/ Callaghan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be happy with taking Hobbs if not Ward/ Callaghan.
Yeah same

I assume Finn isn't happening so if we could still land a Ward at 7 i would be okay with moving back a couple spots, if not i am really keen on Hobbs.

Fox footy reported that Freo are players for Pick 2 and they have their eyes on Callaghan. Think this race is about to get too expensive tbh.

They could theoretically offer something like

FREO
6+8+F2

for GWS
2 + 13 + F3

This would give freo
Callaghan (Cerra upgrade) and a sliding Erasmus/Amiss or likely first go at JVR or Matty Johnson.

GWS would definitely get one of the talls at 6 and actually have a chance at landing both!

Fox footy reported that Freo are players for Pick 2 and they have their eyes on Callaghan. Think this race is about to get too expensive tbh.

They could theoretically offer something like

FREO
6+8+F2

for GWS
2 + 13 + F3

This would give freo
Callaghan (Cerra upgrade) and a sliding Erasmus/Amiss or likely first go at JVR or Matty Johnson.

GWS would definitely get one of the talls at 6 and actually have a chance at landing both!

I would be surprised if it's Freo who snag that pick 2 if GWS are open to trading it. Keeping 6 and 8 and getting Erasmus (Cerra replacement) and Amiss (they desperately need a key forward) who are both WA boys just seems like an absolute no-brainer.

Only way I see us acquiring pick 2 without getting bent over is if GWS agrees to 2 and 13 for 5, 21 and 24 plus a swap of future firsts. They'll bank on being a top 6 side and likely see us 10th at the absolute best.

So in that hypothetical we end up with 2, 13 and a first round pick around 12-14 next season.

I would be surprised if it's Freo who snag that pick 2 if GWS are open to trading it. Keeping 6 and 8 and getting Erasmus (Cerra replacement) and Amiss (they desperately need a key forward) who are both WA boys just seems like an absolute no-brainer.

Only way I see us acquiring pick 2 without getting bent over is if GWS agrees to 2 and 13 for 5, 21 and 24 plus a swap of future firsts. They'll bank on being a top 6 side and likely see us 10th at the absolute best.

So in that hypothetical we end up with 2, 13 and a first round pick around 12-14 next season.
Adelaide and Fremantle are no chance, Fremantle will want the two WA talents, Adelaide need picks for next year, Richmond just don't have the picks 7,15 and Next years first is worth well less than 5+ Hawthorns Future first.

Gold Coast are the only team that could out bid us if GWS are willing to trade which I fully believe they will, too many mids with the need for a KPF/D

Adelaide and Fremantle are no chance, Fremantle will want the two WA talents, Adelaide need picks for next year, Richmond just don't have the picks 7,15 and Next years first is worth well less than 5+ Hawthorns Future first.

Gold Coast are the only team that could out bid us if GWS are willing to trade which I fully believe they will, too many mids with the need for a KPF/D

If we are to trade is your gut feel that we do it on draft night.

If we are to trade is your gut feel that we do it on draft night.
If a trade is done it will be done before draft night, once GWS can guage where the player/s they wont will fall. Draft night trading I can see activity after the Suns pick depending which players are still there and draft pick trades leading up to the draft.

That doesn't sound like a great deal for us. If, as everyone is saying, the draft evens out after the first five up to thirty we should try and keep three picks in that range.

But did they?

While the Giants have monitored Callaghan closely and remain interested in him, clubs that hold the next four picks – Gold Coast (Pick 3), Adelaide (Pick 4), Hawthorn (Pick 5) and Fremantle (Pick 6) – have all been heavily linked to the left-footer, who has ample Bontempelli-like traits.

Yet the Dockers appear better placed than any club to trade with the Giants as they’re one of four clubs that hold two first-round picks. And unlike the Giants (Picks 2 and 13), Richmond (7 and 15) and Brisbane (14 and 18), Fremantle’s two early selections (6 and 8) sit inside the top 10.

A Freo play up the draft order would be a significant curveball, as the club has been widely linked to WA products Neil Erasmus and Jye Amiss with its two first-round picks. However Dockers football boss Peter Bell stressed during the trade period his club wouldn’t necessarily target local draft talent this year, despite several WA prospects considered to be in top-10 contention.

Its a given in my eyes they trade Pick 2 they will lose midfield talent as is already with how many they can't pick in their side, already dropped Ash and Green at times due to the squeeze.

Adelaide wont trade future picks and don't have enough this year to get it done.

Hawthorn is the team that can get this deal done, will we take the asking price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back