Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

So given the last two years we have no clue as to who we are going to pickup as recurring interviews is not a giveaway and is actually used by us to deceive everyone about who we are going to pick in the draft

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
What about Richard Tambling, who was bunked down with Hawks recruiter Buckenara at his house the night before the draft?

Given our MO its amazing wed have a loudmouth legend in his own lifetime guy like Pelchen anywhere near it. maybe he was played as another distraction (Hello Jeff)

Last edited:

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What about Richard Tambling, who was bunked down with Hawks recruiter Buckenara at his house the night before the draft?

Given our MO its amazing wed have a loudmouth legend in his own lifetime guy like Pelchen anywhere near it. maybe he was played as another distraction (Hello Jeff)
I spoke to Ian Dicker the day before the 2004 draft told me Tambling was locked in and tossing up between Franklin and Williams with pick 5

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Didn't it leak a week in advance that we were taking Day in 2019? I remember Twomey posting about it.

I'm happy with the prospect of Johnson at 5. Huge upside. Completely different skill set and build to the rest of our midfield. Lacks speed but so does Pendlebury.

Johnson does not lack speed - tested at 2.98 for 20m which is elite

Stratton24

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn't it leak a week in advance that we were taking Day in 2019? I remember Twomey posting about it.

I'm happy with the prospect of Johnson at 5. Huge upside. Completely different skill set and build to the rest of our midfield. Lacks speed but so does Pendlebury.
Port told him a few days before that they thought we would take him - was an educated guess

So given the last two years we have no clue as to who we are going to pickup as recurring interviews is not a giveaway and is actually used by us to deceive everyone about who we are going to pick in the draft
Who have we interviewed the least? Must be picking them!

Books

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2005
On the Stairway to Heaven
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NZ All-Blacks
My expectation is that GWS will bid on both Darcy's and Darcy. This will improve their own 4th round picks giving them more points for Fahey. No inside info, it just makes sense for them to do this.

Once those bids are in, my hope is that Hawthorn might then get active. Trade our pick 21 to the Dogs for a future 1st. The Doggies would not do that trade now but after matching the bid with later picks, they might be keen.

Then we could trade pick 5 plus the Dogs F1 for pick 2. Giants get their future 1st. We get Callaghan, effectively for 5 and 21. GWS would not do that deal but this way it could work.

Plus we still have a full quota of future picks so we could trade back in to this year if we wanted to.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
2 and a future second from the Giants
For
5 and a future first.

I believe we have ours and Fremantles (is this correct?) third round picks in 2022. We'd also have ours and the Giants second rounders.

How highly do we rate Callaghan? High enough to take (at an estimate if all 3 teams perform the same as 2021) picks 23, 30, 41 and 44 into next year?

Otherwise I just can't see any conceivable way that we get Finn without completing blowing up this and next year's total hauls.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For
5 and a future first.

I believe we have ours and Fremantles (is this correct?) third round picks in 2022. We'd also have ours and the Giants second rounders.

How highly do we rate Callaghan? High enough to take (at an estimate if all 3 teams perform the same as 2021) picks 23, 30, 41 and 44 into next year?

Otherwise I just can't see any conceivable way that we get Finn without completing blowing up this and next year's total hauls.
Future first pick slide. Surely they'd go for that?

For
5 and a future first.

For that price we might as well trade 2 first's for Finn and a second in 2 years time.

At least that way he is more proven at AFL level beforehand.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
For that price we might as well trade 2 first's for Finn and a second in 2 years time.

At least that way he is more proven at AFL level beforehand.

I'm not necessarily saying i'd pull the trigger on my proposal. Just wondering what would make the Giants actually consider giving up Finn on draft night that simultaneously wouldn't completely destroy our draft hand this year and next year.

In this scenario we end up with Callaghan, 21, 25 this season and 4 selections between 23 and 45 next season (at an estimate).

If Callaghan ends up as good as many expect then I don't think it's a horrible position for us to be in.

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am kinda perplexed with this Callaghan hype, sure he looks nice but from what I have seen I cant quite figure out his rocket to the top of draft boards. He hardly got a kick in that game down Geelong. He wasn't even rated top 20ish at beginning of year and has played about 3 games. Surely no one thinks hes a good enough bet to trade future picks for. Happy to stay put and take Ward and Johnson, both will be guns. Leaning to Johnson, hasn't put a foot wrong and is silky smooth for 192cm. If we take Ward then we prob add Long at 21 to be that bigger bodied mid, plus one of Butler, Clarke or Curtis. If we go Johnson then we prob take two of the forwards or 1 plus Jack Williams.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For
5 and a future first.

This rumour is doing the rounds. I hate it. If we're no good in 2022 we could be swapping pick 1 for pick 30 odd. Just for a possible upgrade. Many of the players in the top 10 look exceptional. If i was GWS I'd take it in a heartbeat.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This rumour is doing the rounds. I hate it. If we're no good in 2022 we could be swapping pick 1 for pick 30 odd. Just for a possible upgrade. Many of the players in the top 10 look exceptional. If i was GWS I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Correct. We'd be getting absolutely reamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back