Collingwood

Essendon

GWS

Sydney

Brisbane

Carlton

Richmond

Hawthorn

thanks to eDPS from over on the draft board.

and all but two fill spots all over the park which is handy as well. McAndrew, McDonald, Gould, Blakey, McCartin, McLean and Amartey is a nice base to build from.

I've changed my mind. I originally wanted Van Rooyen and if Goater is not available then him.
I want Goater at pick 1. He is a point of difference and a natural replacement of Rampe. Same size and athletic ability. These guys are hard to find. Next years draft is supposed to be KPD heavy. We have Reid to go back. O'Connor may come on.
Next two picks if Bazzo is not available then 2 mids.

I've changed my mind. I originally wanted Van Rooyen and if Goater is not available then him.
I want Goater at pick 1. He is a point of difference and a natural replacement of Rampe. Same size and athletic ability. These guys are hard to find. Next years draft is supposed to be KPD heavy. We have Reid to go back. O'Connor may come on.
Next two picks if Bazzo is not available then 2 mids.
Done. You call the club and I will start going over the phantom drafts again. Hopefully we haven't left this too late

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goater's kicking is very poor out of congestion.

He is an explosive mid but.... not sure...

I think we need to be hard on this. If they are not an above average kick they should not be drafted by us as the team has focused really hard in the last few years about bringing good kicks into the team. Eventually we would like most of the team to be damaging kicks.

I think we need to be hard on this. If they are not an above average kick they should not be drafted by us as the team has focused really hard in the last few years about bringing good kicks into the team. Eventually we would like most of the team to be damaging kicks.
Not saying we get the GOATer, but I seem to remember Rowbottom's kicking looked a bit suspect. Seems to be ok now, not elite, and he makes up for it in other ways. Wouldn't say Mills, Parker or Kennedy are great kicks either. Neither is Dangerfield, Fyfe, etc. Pretty hard to find someone with the whole package, especially at pick 18.

I quite like Sonsie for our first pick, if available, looks like a natural footballer, clean with good skills.

Not saying we get the GOATer, but I seem to remember Rowbottom's kicking looked a bit suspect. Seems to be ok now, not elite, and he makes up for it in other ways. Wouldn't say Mills, Parker or Kennedy are great kicks either. Neither is Dangerfield, Fyfe, etc. Pretty hard to find someone with the whole package, especially at pick 18.

I quite like Sonsie for our first pick, if available, looks like a natural footballer, clean with good skills.

A player we draft doesn't need to be an elite kick but at the very least they need to be an average kick, which means if you lined up 100 footballers a player we draft should be no worse than around 50 on that list in terms of kicking.

Gather round and let me tell you the legend of Dean Towers, who had every ability bar reliable skills

I really wouldn't put Dangerfield and Fyfe in as reasons to choose someone that isn't a great kick, imo neither will ever be elite because they lack that ability to really rip a game apart. Are they great players? yes, but there's a reason why Dusty has 3 Norm Smith's and the other two have none, and it's mainly the skill that Dusty has.

I really wouldn't put Dangerfield and Fyfe in as reasons to choose someone that isn't a great kick, imo neither will ever be elite because they lack that ability to really rip a game apart. Are they great players? yes, but there's a reason why Dusty has 3 Norm Smith's and the other two have none, and it's mainly the skill that Dusty has.

I thought it was the tatts.

Gather round and let me tell you the legend of Dean Towers, who had every ability bar reliable skills

Or Gary Rohan, who had every ability bar directions to the ground

Per the kicking-as-a-midfielder conversation, I would say that I agree with RUNVS call that they need to be an above average kick, in that when their moment to do a good kick arrives, they don't fumble their lines, they just execute the pearler on the odd occasion when it's required. Other than that, I wouldn't make foot skills a key criteria for an inside mid.

I'd be looking more at someone who can fit into our midfield as a functioning cog, rather than the next Brownlow Medallist. If we think about who our gamebreakers are/will be, I would say in the back half Blakey, in the front half Heeney, and between the arcs Gulden/Campbell. They're our supreme, matchwinning talents who we'd want to put on a clinic in a big final. Finding mids who can identify these players and get it to them is what I'd be looking for, so key attributes of good awareness and decision-making skills, rather than speed or elite kicking.

(I still think we already have said mids we require and that a mid we draft this year will be somewhat surplus to our needs, but if we're going down the midfielder route and want to add to our depth, that is the approach I would take.)

Goater I'm far from a fan of, but at 16 (which is 19) he'd be close to best available. Double he lasts that long though. If we can't get the ultimate swing man, I want Sonsie. If we can't get JVR at our first I'd prefer us not reaching and taking a small. My first target would be Sinn but I doubt he slips that low. Sons the more realistic one, I like Draper too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back