List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few posts back you said 'pound for pound , the best midfield' .. Parker and JPK were constants then too.
The midfield is rebuilding. Theres not room for all of Parker, JPK and Hewett as they're similar type players. It seems the Swans have recognised that speed is important in the future and have drafted for that. Reckon one of those three won't be a swan next year, and as the young crew develops the remaining two will spend less time in there.
Florent is very good on his feet - our 1st pick 2016
Blakey is ver quick - our 1st pick 2018
Stephens is very quick - our 1st pick 2019
Campbell is very quick - p6 2020
Add to that Warner - very quick 2019, Rowbum p2 2018, Mills p1 2015, Gulden
And there's a lot of emerging inside / outside mids, dare I say it, A Entirely new midfield. JPK has 18 months left, Parker probably 2 1/2 years. By the time those guys retire the young mids that have been drafted are beginning to enter their prime. In the meantime Parker and JPK are leading, coaching and protecting the next midfield group.
That young midfield has a lot of different/complimentary talents - takes time (especially when we don't have the $$ to trade a $800k - $1m gun)

Yes, that was then and this is now. I rated JPK and Parker very highly back then, but they're different players and the game is different now. I don't think Hewett is similar to them really.

It's great that we've shifted our focus to speed but as I said in the above post ^ it's not the be all that ends all. We've all loved how Warner's gone this year but I would much prefer the ball in Hewett's poised and safe hands, even if "vanilla", than in Warner's kinda frantic hands. Ditto Mills who is a different player when smartly and cleanly distributing the ball by hand rather than trying to play as a bullocking bull who gets himself under pressure.

So I think our focus needs to shift less to speed and more to cleanliness and efficiency as I think that's what separates great midfields from the rest. I don't think that JPK and Parker offer us either and I think that's a problem.

A few posts back you said 'pound for pound , the best midfield' .. Parker and JPK were constants then too.
The midfield is rebuilding. Theres not room for all of Parker, JPK and Hewett as they're similar type players. It seems the Swans have recognised that speed is important in the future and have drafted for that. Reckon one of those three won't be a swan next year, and as the young crew develops the remaining two will spend less time in there.
Florent is very good on his feet - our 1st pick 2016
Blakey is ver quick - our 1st pick 2018
Stephens is very quick - our 1st pick 2019
Campbell is very quick - p6 2020
Add to that Warner - very quick 2019, Rowbum p2 2018, Mills p1 2015, Gulden
And there's a lot of emerging inside / outside mids, dare I say it, A Entirely new midfield. JPK has 18 months left, Parker probably 2 1/2 years. By the time those guys retire the young mids that have been drafted are beginning to enter their prime. In the meantime Parker and JPK are leading, coaching and protecting the next midfield group.
That young midfield has a lot of different/complimentary talents - takes time (especially when we don't have the $$ to trade a $800k - $1m gun)

That is all very well but it might be handy to play our quick mids, you know, in the midfield.

That is all very well but it might be handy to play our quick mids, you know, in the midfield.
Parker and JPK are 2 of 6-8 that run through the midfield. They are the most experienced, the strongest and still the best. They need to be complimented by the Florin's, Rowbums, Warners etc etc. Give these guys another 12 months and they'll be better (stronger, tougher, more experience) and they'll spend more minutes there.

Lance Franklin - Perth
Chad Warner - East Fremantle
Logan McDonald - Perth
Aliir Aliir - East Fremantle
Tom Mitchell - Claremont
Callum Sinclair - Subiaco
Darcy Cameron - Claremont
Lewis Jetta - Swan Districts

We clearly need more WA players. The only recent major failure was Taylor and that's because he was a POS, not because he was a bad player

Humble champion though he is I fear 2022 will see an even greater drop off. All of us inc him would hate to see being about getting to 300 in a testimonial.
Im sure it won't be. If anything it could be a half coaching gig.
JPK is an absolute champion that has soooo much to offer players like Rowbum, Warner (and the rest of the team). His extension is all part of the rebuild and also part of list management. Every team needs those experienced players across the field.

Im sure it won't be. If anything it could be a half coaching gig.
JPK is an absolute champion that has soooo much to offer players like Rowbum, Warner (and the rest of the team). His extension is all part of the rebuild and also part of list management. Every team needs those experienced players across the field.

**sigh**

Other teams just run off him.

Looking at our VFL game yesterday.

Most possessions: Stephens (32)
Most kicks: Stephens (17)
Most tackles: Stephens (7)

What’s more - his disposals were generally effective.

If we are serious about developing our midfield, he can’t be left to languish in the reserves.
Get him in and get his confidence up.
Looked low on confidence.
Maybe over coached.
Just let the kid play.

Lance Franklin - Perth
Chad Warner - East Fremantle
Logan McDonald - Perth
Aliir Aliir - East Fremantle
Tom Mitchell - Claremont
Callum Sinclair - Subiaco
Darcy Cameron - Claremont
Lewis Jetta - Swan Districts

We clearly need more WA players. The only recent major failure was Taylor and that's because he was a POS, not because he was a bad player

You think Taylor would of been best 22 by now? did you watch him play.

Looking at our VFL game yesterday.

Most possessions: Stephens (32)
Most kicks: Stephens (17)
Most tackles: Stephens (7)

What’s more - his disposals were generally effective.

If we are serious about developing our midfield, he can’t be left to languish in the reserves.

I am a Stephens fan but if we're serious about developing him, we can not play him in the midfield yet. He is tiny.

I am a Stephens fan but if we're serious about developing him, we can not play him in the midfield yet. He is tiny.
See I disagree with this. I do think we should be careful and not play him 100% in the coal face, but there's plenty of players that have shown that you don't need to be physically big to play in the mids. Just look at bolten for the tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See I disagree with this. I do think we should be careful and not play him 100% in the coal face, but there's plenty of players that have shown that you don't need to be physically big to play in the mids. Just look at bolten for the tigers.

No doubt but Bolton didn't go inside until last year really, which was his fourth year in the system. Far more used to the crash and bash and how to use his body. Stephens is only in his second year and is still learning the game, so if thrown inside I don't think he'd cope as well as Bolton has.

We already have one, maybe two kids in our midfield who are too small, but are at least used to playing inside so they can still give it a good shake. Any more and I think we'd be at breaking point.

If we’d have taken that approach with McVeigh, he’d have spent 4 years in the reserves.

Play him on a wing, with the odd trip inside.

But I reckon we just need to play him.

We played him on a wing though and he looked a little lost. We can't be taking opportunities away from the likes of Florent, McInerney, Rowbottom, Warner etc who are all good contributors just to give the opportunities for Stephens to find his feet.

Hewett and Parker are the two big ones for me. I don't think we are playing either in their best position.

Parker is a brilliant forward, and brilliant mid. The difference? He's goal kicking and his inside 50 delivery. Worlds apart. Inside 50 delivery is perhaps worst in the team.

Hewett has the ability to be a really solid mid along with Mill in the future. I have no idea what Horse and co want from him, or if they're just content with wasting him in the backline.

These two players, in my opinion, should either be moved or traded. I love both, but I really dislike seeing the club squander their ability.

No doubt but Bolton didn't go inside until last year really, which was his fourth year in the system. Far more used to the crash and bash and how to use his body. Stephens is only in his second year and is still learning the game, so if thrown inside I don't think he'd cope as well as Bolton has.

We already have one, maybe two kids in our midfield who are too small, but are at least used to playing inside so they can still give it a good shake. Any more and I think we'd be at breaking point.
Maybe. Imo we should be moving way more players through the mids anyway. Even if he was only given 5-10% in the middle. I just think Horse let's our midfield get a little stagnant at times, and if we had more players to run through it (which we do) we could mitigate a lot of our issues.

Maybe. Imo we should be moving way more players through the mids anyway. Even if he was only given 5-10% in the middle. I just think Horse let's our midfield get a little stagnant at times, and if we had more players to run through it (which we do) we could mitigate a lot of our issues.

I agree, but if you look around the comp it's an almost universal thing that teams are running 4 mids predominantly through there, and then a rotating cast of other players (particularly in the case of Bulldogs who even run lesser guys like Lipinski through there.) Our 4 are JPK, Parker, Mills and then Rowbottom/Warner (those two seem to take each others CBAs.)

The problem is if we ran more through there, like Florent, Blakey, Stephens, Hewett etc., all they'd be doing is taking rotations off that fifth man (Rowbottom/Warner) which is not what we want in terms of developing our midfield. This was why I was so concerned when I heard Mills would be in the midfield because I envisioned a scenario where he and the two skippers would dominate our midfield rotations and it would be the younger mids who get less time, not more.

But who knows, second half of the year could be different. If Rowbottom can get over his injury or Warner can re-capture his early season form or an opportunity arises and Florent gets a go in there, Horse might bite the bullet and make a real change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back