List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCartin plsyjg as a defender
I heard that the other day, not sure how agile he is though. What about the Silvangi lad, also a defender correct? I hope we choose the right one and don't play silly buggers because of his brother's contract coming up.

If all goes perfectly....
Paddy McCartin joins Swans in the mid season draft - goes on to fulfil his potential as a KPF
Barry OConnor develops into an elite, high flying, quick, tall, agile, intercepting KPD
Joel Amartey develops into a short ruck but with a huge leap and elite speed. The quintessential modern day Ruck.

We'll know by the draft

A part of me thinks Paddy could do a Tom and go back and become a very good KPD. Less likely to be knocked out as a KPD as well.

Word on the Trades board is that his manager is saying $900k a year over 6 years will get it done for Merrett. Wooowwweeee. Too much.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

We don't need a big fish. Trust our build, trust it to work and put our salary cap towards signing these young players we have.

We don't need a big fish. Trust our build, trust it to work and put our salary cap towards signing these young players we have.
absolutely....!!
pay the young guys.. draft more in
if we cant find a tall defender out of P McCartin, OConnor even Silvagni, then draft one, or trade a 3rd/4th yr one.
the only other trade i reckon is worth thinking about is a 3rd/4th yr ruck
3rd/4th year players won't be on big fish $$.. and are at or close to the age to join the crew and play with them for the next 150 - 200 games

no need to trade a midfielder, no need to trade a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A part of me thinks Paddy could do a Tom and go back and become a very good KPD. Less likely to be knocked out as a KPD as well.
yep maybe.. Could be a 'gentle' re-introduction to senior footy..
We kind of need another KPD at the moment (confidence seems to have wained in Melican) and theres no room in the forward line with Buddy, McDonald, Reid and even McLean has been playing his role well. Injuries could change that very quickly. Both Buddy and Reid are susceptible.. So could be very handy having Paddy ready to play forward if needed
Big fan, hope things work out for him at the Swans

I hope we can see Malachy Carruthers play. Tons of potential HBF or wing. Easy upgrade of he shows his skills. Good footy brain and decision making.

POSITION: Medium Defender
DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Carruthers is a skilful half-back with penetrative kicking and a high endurance base.” – Tom Wyman
Sturt’s Malachy Carruthers missed out on selection into the 2020 AFL Academy Hub squad, but after a strong Under 18 season with the Double Blues, the attacking defender could find his way onto an AFL list come December. A product of St. Peters College and the Payneham junior football club in Adelaide’s north-eastern suburbs, Carruthers made the half-back flank his own this year and in doing so, played a pivotal role in Sturt’s run to the Under 18 Grand Final. Carruthers earned himself an invite to the national combine where his strong aerobic capacity and handy agility stood out. Recruiters may not have been considering Carruthers prior to the season, however several clubs have expressed interest in the defender since, undoubtedly keen to see if his promising blend of athleticism and skills can translate to the highest level.
STRENGTHS:

Foot skills

Intercept marking

Endurance

Rebounding

Penetration

IMPROVEMENTS:

Strength/Rawness

Exposure at a higher level

Carruthers could be described as an offensive defender – one who generates plenty of rebound from the backline and is able to set up the play with his terrific foot skills. His ability to pick apart opposition zones with a diverse range of kicks could see him compared to Richmond triple-premiership winner Bachar Houli.

Carruthers consistently hits his targets by foot over short and long distances. He has a sweet and fluent kicking style and is able to pick off targets in positions few would be bold enough to attempt. Carruthers has a long right-foot and was able to use this to damaging effect as part of the Double Blues’ game plan. He was also able to push up onto the wing at times this season, where he was again able to use his speed and skills in an attacking manner.

However, although his foot skills and rebounding abilities are arguably his standout attributes, Carruthers is also a capable intercept marker, who reads the flight of the ball well and has safe hands overhead. Despite being several centimetres smaller than many of his opponents, his natural athleticism and courage ensures he remains competitive in the air. Carruthers showed off his high endurance at the national combine, completing the 2km time trial in six minutes and 30 seconds, placing second in SA and eclipsed only by West Adelaide’s Jye Sinderberry. He also impressed in the agility test, finishing with a time of 8.40 seconds. Carruthers’ on-field speed probably wasn’t appropriately reflected in his 20 metre sprint time of 3.124 seconds. Despite not placing among the top performers in the sprint, he was able to utilise his quick turn of speed to dash away from opponents at various times throughout the season.

The obvious area for improvement for Carruthers is his strength. At 67kg during preseason and now 72kg, he is still quite lean and will likely require a couple of pre-seasons in the gym to build up his strength. In a professional environment and with an appropriate strength and conditioning program, this will be easily improved upon. Although its possible Carruthers will always play as that slim running type, Hawthorn recruit and fellow South Australian Will Day proved that if you’re talented enough, you’re quite often strong enough to match-it against bigger bodies. Carruthers is still very much a raw prospect, who only had limited exposure in the SANFL Under 18s and SA school football competitions, but has shown enough promise to warrant selection in December.

DRAFT PROJECTION: Third round-rookie
Carruthers is certainly a developing prospect who has caught the eyes of several recruiters for his performances at half-back and along the wing. He isn’t the type to make an immediate impact at AFL level, but with a few pre-seasons in the gym, Carruthers boasts the kicking skills, overhead marking capability, and athletic profile to forge a successful career in the big league. A bolter who jumped into the draft conversation as the year wore on, Carruthers will appeal to clubs seeking a highly developable and skilful talent with plenty of upside and room to grow. With the right amount of patience and persistence, Carruthers could turn into a valuable defensive asset.

HIGHLIGHTED TESTING RESULTS:
SA Draft Combine:
Agility – 8.40 seconds
Endurance (2km) – 6:30

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

You can really see how much Sydney recruiters have prioritised kicking in the last 3 or 4 drafts. Almost every player we have recruited in that time has been described as a good to very good kick.

Perfect timing as well as the new rules strongly favour teams that have a lot of good kicking players in them.

I like that we’re not sacrificing toughness and smarts, either.

We’re not just drafting streaky kids who can kick (Rohan) but kids who still maintain that raw toughness that will stand them in good stead for the step up to AFL level.

I still think we’ve got some untapped gems in this squad. Gould and especially Stephens could be anything and I want to see Sheather but I don’t want the injuries required to see these players.

It’ll be so interesting to see who we hang on to going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEN article titled.. Could the old-fashioned stopper return to backlines.
Is that Tommy & Paddy McCartin?
Seems the Swans have been ahead of the game in their strategy, list management and recruiting for a few years now.
another example of this is
- who has been drafted in the inside midfield - all quick and no Big Bull
- the foot skills and speed has been a focus

A few early draft picks not getting many games, that tends to attract outside interest:

Matthew Ling (pick 14, out of contract)
Dylan Stephens (pick 5, out of contract)
Will Gould (pick 26, out of contract)

Some others on the fringes:

Will Hayward (pick 21, contracted to 2024)
Lewis Taylor (contracted to 2022)
Ryan Clarke (out of contract)
Robbie Fox (out of contract)

Who would be trade bait? Who might look to leave for game time? Who else might we move on?

A few early draft picks not getting many games, that tends to attract outside interest:

Who would be trade bait? Who might look to leave for game time? Who else might we move on?

Gould, Stephens i imagine we want to keep at all costs Ling has had to many injuries i feel to become anywhere close to the player he could of been.

Hayward has currency and looks to be the most disposable player per position but again has a further 3yrs to run!

Clarke, Taylor, Fox have no currency but are taking cap space so maybe all 3 will be salary dumps?

What are your thoughts?

Of those only Stephens and Hayward have reasonably recent exposed form. I imagine they would be the only ones attracting trade interest, probably from SA. Having said that Stephens may well be out of contract!
None of the others are likely to attract any trade interest at all due to being well outside best 22, unless they get quite a few games. We will need to lose a few to open up spaces for the draft.
Tough times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back