List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gould, Stephens i imagine we want to keep at all costs Ling has had to many injuries i feel to become anywhere close to the player he could of been.

Hayward has currency and looks to be the most disposable player per position but again has a further 3yrs to run!

Clarke, Taylor, Fox have no currency but are taking cap space so maybe all 3 will be salary dumps?

What are your thoughts?
Id back Stephens to be a priority - pretty sure he'll get 10-15 games this year
Reckon the Swans will be keen to see Ling play a proper season,, last year was a right off for developing / fringe players. We only really have Cunningham as a small defender so reckon the Swans will be hoping Ling plays good footy.
Same goes for Gould - reckon the Swans want to see him play.
Clarke is an unknown for me.. He's got some good attributes but how he fits in the midfield, even as depth, is an unknown.
Reckon the Swans would off load Taylor at the first opportunity
Fox - defensive depth? Ling, Gould ?? even Hayward might find a spot ahead of Fox.
Hayward, I reckon is pretty safe - needs to find his spot. Heeney, Gulden, Wicks and Paps are ahead of him as small to medium forwards. Plus Parker will 'rest' forward more taking another spot..

I truly hope we're not chasing a 'big fish', would love to see another big year at the draft and save the $$ for trades when we know which kids shine, which dont, which stay, which go home.. which holes need filling - if any!!

Gould, Stephens i imagine we want to keep at all costs Ling has had to many injuries i feel to become anywhere close to the player he could of been.

Hayward has currency and looks to be the most disposable player per position but again has a further 3yrs to run!

Clarke, Taylor, Fox have no currency but are taking cap space so maybe all 3 will be salary dumps?

What are your thoughts?

How do you salary dump a player out of contract?

Any teams with salary cap that need draft picks for an Academy or Father Son that we can trade Taylor and a 3rd round pick to to clear space?

A few early draft picks not getting many games, that tends to attract outside interest:

Matthew Ling (pick 14, out of contract)
Dylan Stephens (pick 5, out of contract)
Will Gould (pick 26, out of contract)

Some others on the fringes:

Will Hayward (pick 21, contracted to 2024)
Lewis Taylor (contracted to 2022)
Ryan Clarke (out of contract)
Robbie Fox (out of contract)

Who would be trade bait? Who might look to leave for game time? Who else might we move on?
Stephens is the big risk.

SA teams will be waving cheques.

How do you salary dump a player out of contract?
You don't re-sign him. Otherwise known as "delisting".
IMO we will not trade in at all this year unless someone who fills a need REALLY begs us. If Paddy Mac works out only a ruck and maybe a KPD would fit. We will only delist enough for that/those plus the draft. In the draft we will most likely "top up" on mids.
The ECFL will reveal a lot.
We're in pretty good shape.

Stephens, Ling and probably Gould have currency - although Gould slid at the draft which means probably not as much as we hope. Hayward will definately have currency and the money will inevitably come for McCartin, Rowbottom and Hewett. Fox is a great squad player but players like Taylor, Bell and Clarke are surplus.

Think it'll be hard to hold on to Stephens. Ling and Gould have limited options so probably stay. Hayward will be our Aliir this year but we absolutely must hold onto Hewett, McCartin and Rowbottom.

Top of our needs list should be Rampe replacement

Stephens is the big risk.

SA teams will be waving cheques.

Hopefully both SA teams maintain their form so that it's not an absolute certainly they get first dibs on him if we have to negotiate. He is a Mildura boy though so I don't think he's fussed about where he ends up if he nominates to leave in a bid for more playing time.

Hopefully both SA teams maintain their form so that it's not an absolute certainly they get first dibs on him if we have to negotiate. He is a Mildura boy though so I don't think he's fussed about where he ends up if he nominates to leave in a bid for more playing time.

If we end up losing this lad or Dawson that will be the price of re-signing jpk unless he is on minimum chips.

We have got better at drafting but overall list management is average. Hickey is the first decent trade since Sinkers. We have wasted $s and spots on L Taylor, Gray, Clarke, Thurlow and the like on trades. The 3 year contract to Taylor is a complete disgrace. He has offered zero.

If we lose Dawson and/or Stephens I expect they will be reviled for 'taking money', being 'over rated' etc. Heroes if they stay - horrors if they go. Unhappily we have seen this script before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we end up losing this lad or Dawson that will be the price of re-signing jpk unless he is on minimum chips.

We have got better at drafting but overall list management is average. Hickey is the first decent trade since Sinkers. We have wasted $s and spots on L Taylor, Gray, Clarke, Thurlow and the like on trades. The 3 year contract to Taylor is a complete disgrace. He has offered zero.

If we lose Dawson and/or Stephens I expect they will be reviled for 'taking money', being 'over rated' etc. Heroes if they stay - horrors if they go. Unhappily we have seen this script before.
Has recruiting any of those guys really hurt us though? All would be on minimal coin, recruited mainly to fill a void in 2018-2020 while the young guys developed and we weren't contending. They have essentially served that purpose now and most will be done by the end of the season (with the exception of Taylor, who I agree that 3 years was ridiculous).

Given the young profile of our list and the reduction in $$ we will be paying to Bud next year, I can't see that there will be any issues offering enough to keep Dawson & Stephens. Only possible issue I see is if Stephens can't crack the side this year and leaves for more opportunity, but we're only at round 3 and he will get his chance at some stage this year.

Has recruiting any of those guys really hurt us though? All would be on minimal coin, recruited mainly to fill a void in 2018-2020 while the young guys developed and we weren't contending. They have essentially served that purpose now and most will be done by the end of the season (with the exception of Taylor, who I agree that 3 years was ridiculous).

Given the young profile of our list and the reduction in $$ we will be paying to Bud next year, I can't see that there will be any issues offering enough to keep Dawson & Stephens. Only possible issue I see is if Stephens can't crack the side this year and leaves for more opportunity, but we're only at round 3 and he will get his chance at some stage this year.

I hope you are right.

Lets hope T. McCartin doesn't ask for Darcy Moore money...
Any chance of the AFL giving COLA back?

Sinclair if he hangs up the boots would probably clear $400k himself (I’m sure that was the money touted when he came across?) too.

If Hayward can’t break into this team, and it’s true he is on good coin, we need to move him on this trade period. I am not sure I can see him in our forward setup in 21 without injury, and whilst it’s good to have a good player (*depending on your opinion of Hayward) on standby you don’t want them on really good coin.

If Hayward can’t break into this team, and it’s true he is on good coin, we need to move him on this trade period. I am not sure I can see him in our forward setup in 21 without injury, and whilst it’s good to have a good player (*depending on your opinion of Hayward) on standby you don’t want them on really good coin.
If I was Hayward I would be trying to reestablish myself as a winger. It was always highlighted that he might move into the middle as his career advances

If I was Hayward I would be trying to reestablish myself as a winger. It was always highlighted that he might move into the middle as his career advances

The problem is, at the Swans we have better options.

Blakey, McInerney, Stephens, Florent, Rowbottom (when not in middle), Potentially Lloyd, Potentially Gulden, potentially Campbell are all ahead of him for wing / midfield more broadly (that spills over to the wing position with some players).

Half back, he probably has a little less competition but even then he wouldn’t be best 22 and there would be others competing for similar positions currently out of the team (Fox, Ling, ORiordan some of whom won’t be on the list next year either).

As a forward at the Swans it’s his closest position that is likely for senior AFL action as he is probably first in should Heeney, Wicks, Papley, Gulden are unavailable.

If I were him, I’d be trying to find a team who needs a medium forward (And is the main medium forward in the team).

Stephens, Ling and probably Gould have currency - although Gould slid at the draft which means probably not as much as we hope. Hayward will definately have currency and the money will inevitably come for McCartin, Rowbottom and Hewett. Fox is a great squad player but players like Taylor, Bell and Clarke are surplus.

Think it'll be hard to hold on to Stephens. Ling and Gould have limited options so probably stay. Hayward will be our Aliir this year but we absolutely must hold onto Hewett, McCartin and Rowbottom.

Top of our needs list should be Rampe replacement
I think it will be dead easy holding on to Stephens.
Gould will learn more in our Swans system and will debut either this year or next.
Ling will find it hard to break into our back 6 but injuries may occur and he will get a run.
McCartin will sign on and so will Rowbottom and Hewett. Whats the problem?

Hayward is the most interesting case here, but I still think he's a cracker of a forward, but I think he needs some ressies games to get back into contention.

On that note, why are the ressies taking so long, a lot of kids on our list that would be itching to get out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back