Not open for further replies.

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting anecdote on AFL360 tonight.

In their first full year of AFL, none of Buddy, Nick Riewoldt or Jonathon Brown managed 20 goals.

We need to be patient with Logan.
This is not a criticism of you but it is genuinely staggering that this kind of comment needs to be made about a player who has played five (five!!!) games. What the actual hell!

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney

In their first full year of AFL, none of Buddy, Nick Riewoldt or Jonathon Brown managed 20 goals.

Buddy kicked 21 goals in debut season (he played 20 games). AFL360 should do some research.

Dig deeper and Riewoldt only played 6 games in first year but second year he played 22 games and kicked 21 goals. Brown only played 13 games in first season but in second season played 25 games and kicked 38 goals.

So the anecdote should really be that you need some form of patience with a first year player (not often found on BigFooty) and given a chance a young forward will slowly improve output in following years.

Buddy kicked 21 goals in debut season (he played 20 games). AFL360 should do some research.

Dig deeper and Riewoldt only played 6 games in first year but second year he played 22 games and kicked 21 goals. Brown only played 13 games in first season but in second season played 25 games and kicked 38 goals.

So the anecdote should really be that you need some form of patience with a first year player (not often found on BigFooty) and given a chance a young forward will slowly improve output in following years.
Yeah I see lots of these stupid comparisons to Franklin for early career forwards.

I never see them compare a 3rd year forward to him when he had 135 scoring shots for the year as a 20 year old.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Sad to say but he has played better for Port this year than Rampe has for us.

But you'd never do that swap so its just a form/injury thing. Rampe still has more value to us than Allir.

Besides, if you want to talk form, Allir was traded for a player who's form and fit in our team is untouchable. Hickey clearly leading our B&F at the moment

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
But you'd never do that swap so its just a form/injury thing. Rampe still has more value to us than Allir.

Besides, if you want to talk form, Allir was traded for a player who's form and fit in our team is untouchable. Hickey clearly leading our B&F at the moment
If you read my original post, the point I was making is that we failed to recruit a decent ruck years ago and that forced us to 1. Put AA in the ruck and 2. To trade him for Hickey.

Now, as it stands, that trade has been a massive win for us.
But ...
If we had drafted a decent ruck years ago (or been allowed to trade for Ryder as we planned) we wouldn’t have had to trade away a talented defender like AA.

When you are forced to give up talent it’s a failure.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If you read my original post, the point I was making is that we failed to recruit a decent ruck years ago and that forced us to 1. Put AA in the ruck and 2. To trade him for Hickey.

Now, as it stands, that trade has been a massive win for us.
But ...
If we had drafted a decent ruck years ago (or been allowed to trade for Ryder as we planned) we wouldn’t have had to trade away a talented defender like AA.

If we'd gotten Ryder we would've been a juggernaut. Agree, poor drafting played a part in losing AA but if not him it would've been someone else. As some wise man once said - you can't have them all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To get something you have to give up something. I question just how good AA has been too, it is no shock in losses for Port he hasn't been great...all well and good looking elite when you are winning by 60...

Ok.
I used a little hyperbole.

He was a good defender and if he wasn’t moved around all over the field, he could of potentially been a great defender.

But not our best !!

In a good side possibly. I am still far from convinced. Lets see how he goes in big games this year, so far his only great games have been like Port when they have flat track bullied teams.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Yeah, I don't think
Yeah I see lots of these stupid comparisons to Franklin for early career forwards.

I never see them compare a 3rd year forward to him when he had 135 scoring shots for the year as a 20 year old.
Shhhh, maybe Logan can do it?

/s

I realise that Lance is a freak and any comparisons will just disappoint. Need to compare with reasonable forwards.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
In a good side possibly. I am still far from convinced. Lets see how he goes in big games this year, so far his only great games have been like Port when they have flat track bullied teams.
He was very good against Brisbane, one of their only performers imo.

I don't think the arguement is about whether or not he is good enough, he clearly is.

He was very good against Brisbane, one of their only performers imo.

I don't think the arguement is about whether or not he is good enough, he clearly is.

He was okay against Brisbane at best. The whole side was poor though. I am still far from convinced on him when the pressure is on. Lets wait and see. Not saying he won't be good, just saying I am far from convinced.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Aliir is a good defender when he has a good defence around him that allows him to play his natural game. If he is required to be a leader in a weaker defence IMO he would be found wanting.

There are many many players like that so it’s not a criticism. His output is almost identical to his 2018 season with us when he had a better defence supporting him.

Aliir is a good defender when he has a good defence around him that allows him to play his natural game. If he is required to be a leader in a weaker defence IMO he would be found wanting.

There are many many players like that so it’s not a criticism. His output is almost identical to his 2018 season with us when he had a better defence supporting him.

Exactly. He’s helped by having Jonas and what not around him and also having an elite midfield so there isn’t quality entries in general. There are a lot of players like that it’s not a bad thing but unless there is the right system these players are found out

Assuming McCartin gets suspended, who do we take in the midseason draft? Go for another ruck, defender or just the best available?

I wouldn't have taken him anyway but I'm on my own there. Best available mid or if there is a KPD I'd look at one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back