List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally like throwing darts. Whatever sticks. With hickey it randomly hit the bullseye when they thought they'd be funny with a trick shot expecting it to flop.

I haven't seen McAndrew play, but Masey, whose opinion I hold in high regard, reported he was worth persevering with.

My limited viewing of Amartey this year suggests he's coming along nicely. But he's never going to be a first choice ruck. More a forward/ruck. I reckon keeping him on the list has to this point been a successful call.
I just find it odd that it's been 3 years and we've seen nothing of him yet blokes who've been on the list for one year are delisted.

I mean if he's a good fwd/ruck then why is McLean a mile ahead actually getting a gig in the firsts whilst Amartey not getting a sniff. Even when desperate for a 2nd ruck with Reid out hickey out and Sinclair on one leg he still can't get a sniff, and here we are still drafting ruckman after ruckman to top it off. I don't get what the deal is with Amartey tbh.

I just find it odd that it's been 3 years and we've seen nothing of him yet blokes who've been on the list for one year are delisted.

I mean if he's a good fwd/ruck then why is McLean a mile ahead actually getting a gig in the firsts whilst Amartey not getting a sniff. Even when desperate for a 2nd ruck with Reid out hickey out and Sinclair on one leg he still can't get a sniff, and here we are still drafting ruckman after ruckman to top it off. I don't get what the deal is with Amartey tbh.

I just think players develop at different speeds. I don't think McLean is a mile ahead, just developed that necessary robustness in the contest earlier than Amartey did. Amartey is certainly more athletic, and if he can continue to improve his timing in jumping for the ball, which I think he has in leaps and bounds (pardon the pun) this year, you'll find yourself wondering this time next year why they didn't select him earlier. And the reason will be that whilst he showed talent, he wasn't ready.

I just think players develop at different speeds. I don't think McLean is a mile ahead, just developed that necessary robustness in the contest earlier than Amartey did. Amartey is certainly more athletic, and if he can continue to improve his timing in jumping for the ball, which I think he has in leaps and bounds (pardon the pun) this year, you'll find yourself wondering this time next year why they didn't select him earlier. And the reason will be that whilst he showed talent, he wasn't ready.
I like your optimism and hope he pulls through. I just don't see him leapfrogging McLean randomly, surely they expect McLean to only get better. Not to mention Naismith and reid coming back in. He's already 4 rows back and here come another two to put him even further back in the pecking order. And who knows where this McAndrew fella ends up in that pecking order too.

Not to mention McDonald would take another fwd position well before Amartey.

I like your optimism and hope he pulls through. I just don't see him leapfrogging McLean randomly, surely they expect McLean to only get better. Not to mention Naismith and reid coming back in. He's already 4 rows back and here come another two to put him even further back in the pecking order. And who knows where this McAndrew fella ends up in that pecking order too.

You're not looking at it right. Look at it this way.

1. Hickey Reid
2. Naismith McLean
3. Sinclair Amartey
4. McAndrew No one

You need 3 in each column. And ideally you play one of each.

So it's the Grand Final tomorrow and all are fit, you'd select Hickey and Reid. No question.

All going well, at the end of this year, only Sinclair retires. McAndrew steps into number 3.

But they're not the same position. None on the right are first rucks and none on the left are key forwards.

You're not looking at it right. Look at it this way.

1. Hickey Reid
2. Naismith McLean
3. Sinclair Amartey
4. McAndrew No one

You need 3 in each column. And ideally you play one of each.

So it's the Grand Final tomorrow and all are fit, you'd select Hickey and Reid. No question.

All going well, at the end of this year, only Sinclair retires. McAndrew steps into number 3.

But they're not the same position. None on the right are first rucks and none on the left are key forwards.
Gotchya. Makes sense when you put it like that but the only issue is that list seems to get shuffled around a fair bit. Cause right when it looks like Amartey is next up, a wild Blakey appears to play in the ruck. And realistically Sinclair is on that right side too ahead of Amartey. And tbh I think McDonald comes into play too because he'll get a fwd gig ahead of Amartey and the ruck sicho would be shuffled again with Blakey probably doing it.

So really the only way we see Amartey next year is if Reid is injured, McLean is injured, Blakey injured, Sinclair retired. Realistically how long is he going to stick around in the twos before being delisted.

Gotchya. Makes sense when you put it like that but the only issue is that list seems to get shuffled around a fair bit. Cause right when it looks like Amartey is next up, a wild Blakey appears to play in the ruck. And realistically Sinclair is on that right side too ahead of Amartey. And tbh I think McDonald comes into play too because he'll get a fwd gig ahead of Amartey and the ruck sicho would be shuffled again with Blakey probably doing it.

So really the only way we see Amartey next year is if Reid is injured, McLean is injured, Blakey injured, Sinclair retired. Realistically how long is he going to stick around in the twos before being delisted.

Reid is 29, and has an injured calf which involves his tendon. I desperately hope he's not done.
Sinclair will retire.
Blakey isn't a forward ruck. It might be they were trying to energise him. Who knows?
Amartey isn't ready.......yet. But he's only 21. He's a tall. They always take longer. And he's progressing.
I think McDonald replaces Franklin.
None of this is exact. Footy is not exact. But even if McLean does stay ahead of Amartey in the Forward/Ruck stakes, you still need another.
The point is, drafting McAndrew means nothing for Amartey's career. They're different players.
McAndrew is competing with Hickey (30), Naismith(29), and Sinclair(32).
Amartey(21) is competing with Reid(29) and McLean(22). And still yet might be a key back (pure speculation on my part).

Even if Reid goes on next year, it's not ridiculous for Amartey to break out in 2023. He'd be 23yo.

Last edited:
Reid is 29, and has an injured calf which involves his tendon. I desperately hope he's not done.
Sinclair will retire.
Blakey isn't a forward ruck. It might be they were trying to energise him. Who knows?
Amartey isn't ready.......yet. But he's only 21. He's a tall. They always take longer. And he's progressing.
I think McDonald replaces Franklin.
None of this is exact. Footy is not exact. But even if McLean does stay ahead of Amartey in the Forward/Ruck stakes, you still need another.
The point is, drafting McAndrew means nothing for Amartey's career. They're different players.
McAndrew is competing with Hickey (30), Naismith(29), and Sinclair(32).
Amartey(21) is competing with Reid(29) and McLean(22). And still yet might be a key back (pure speculation on my part).

Even if Reid goes on next year, it's not ridiculous for Amartey to break out in 2023. He'd be 23yo.
Don’t agree.

McA’s drafting means Armatey’s job to stay on the list becomes slightly more difficult.

He’s not exactly carving up the reserves & can’t be kept on the list indefinitely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans had a couple of Ruck prospects playing in their juniors. One (can't remember his name) went to the SANFL this year, and hasn't been selected in this draft. Looks like the Swans preferred McAndrew.. Cox has been working with him for 2-3 years and likely had a say.
Good luck to him.
Michael Knoll

There was an interesting comment about Amartey in the Blues preview thread of our match:

"Don't underestimate Amartey. Swans have been grooming him for years as a forward/ruck, but he came into the league as a raw ruck with an enormous leap and high level ruck craft. If he had a touch more acceleration off the mark and a bolder playing style he probably would have been playing for the Swans more the last couple of years.

He'll demand a tall defender when forward, and he'll be a headache around the ground. Not sure he'll even concede that much at the centre bounce when he rotates in. Very talented player, just a touch short for a modern ruck.

I wanted us to draft him amongst several other names like Patmore, Kyron Hayden, Tom Murphy, Mihocek and Tony Olango, and instead we wound up with Schumacher, Garlett, O'Shea and Shaw. We also traded pick 28 for Kennedy. People were still defending the Kennedy trade until about two monthis into this season...

I remain shocked at what we did in the 2018 off-season... in retrospect you can see why some sought to reign SOS in a bit
."

I don't know enough about him to comment, but maybe this is what our coaches see.
Conventional wisdom has ruckmen as useless until at least 25, while Amartey is only 21.

Don’t agree.

McA’s drafting means Armatey’s job to stay on the list becomes slightly more difficult.

He’s not exactly carving up the reserves & can’t be kept on the list indefinitely.

Probably taking a bet each way really. Allows them to make a call on Amartey this year if we have this other option. Not saying either way, just saying make a call one way or the other.

Probably taking a bet each way really. Allows them to make a call on Amartey this year if we have this other option. Not saying either way, just saying make a call one way or the other.

There is absolutely zero impact on Amartey’s future from the signing of McAndrew. Zero.

Amartey needs to worry if, and only if, his form drops off and we draft a forward/ruck with our first pick.

If we’d got Thilthorpe, for instance, then McLean or Amartey might be looking at other options for next year.

Don't forget Campbell. The McDonalds hate the Campbells.
True.

The O'Riordans are a branch of the O'Carroll clan who fought alongside the Earl of Kildare in the Battle of Knockdoe.

The O'Connors fought with Fionn Burke. It was apparently Ireland's bloodiest battle on 19 August 1504.

Really a bit disappointed not to have got more likes with these contributions.

******* bunch of uneducated peasants.

Cal Twomey's rolling Draft Team. Mickey O's nephew on track for being selected by the Crows via their NGA. SA prospect Jason Horne tipped by many to go at #1, which means Crows are going to either have to tank hard or pray that Norf & Hawks let him slip past.

Josh Gibcus is a tall defender but he's expected to go in the top 10. Not sure there's anything else in this list as a KPD we might look at.

1622765923427.png

Last edited:
Cal Twomey's rolling Draft Team. Mickey O's nephew on track for being selected by the Crows via their NGA. SA prospect Jason Horne tipped by many to go at #1, which means Crows are going to either have to tank hard or pray that Norf & Hawks let him slip past.

Josh Gibcus is a tall defender but he's expected to go in the top 10. Not sure there's anything else in this list as a KPD we might look at.

View attachment 1145820
Raak was available in the MSD. Looks to be a light draft on defenders if he's the best FB going around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back