List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo he is a list clogger type, sounds harsher than I mean it. Doesn't have enough positive impact to contribute to games but also doesnt make enough mistakes to harm us.

I dont see much more growth after 6 years already in the system.

When we're strapped for cash we are better off bottoming out that list spot than paying low role player money for someone who plays 5 games every year.
That 6 years equates to 3 for most others imo. Coming from Ireland, it takes 3 years before he is at the same stage as an 18 y/o draftee. We generally give draftees more than 3 years before getting rid of them.

caesar88 Regarding players leaving the club.

I don't like how the Giants are operating, but I think with the increased rights to players and the ease of player movement we will see the Northern clubs have to adopt a very loose list structure. You'll have a few blokes that you know you can keep, a solid 6-10 players, and the rest you're ready for them to ask to leave.

I have a feeling that as a list management squad we have to be prepared for any player asking to leave because at this point there's not much to stop them.

caesar88 Regarding players leaving the club.

I don't like how the Giants are operating, but I think with the increased rights to players and the ease of player movement we will see the Northern clubs have to adopt a very loose list structure. You'll have a few blokes that you know you can keep, a solid 6-10 players, and the rest you're ready for them to ask to leave.

I have a feeling that as a list management squad we have to be prepared for any player asking to leave because at this point there's not much to stop them.

That could be a feasible strategy... a core group of 6-10 players you build your success around, and the rest are expendable.

Until someone from that 6-10 players is the one walking out the door. In which case you can forget a flag.

We are gonna get ficked over by crows

They have nothing really on there list we want , obviously won’t give up a gun like dodee etc

Being out of contact will see us getting screwed
I dunno- we had a good year And their team is under so much pressure.

Honestly we can hold so firm here, if in the final minutes it’s only pick 23 and 2022 2nd we can reluctantly accept, but may also end up with panic in last minutes….

I dunno- we had a good year And their team is under so much pressure.

Honestly we can hold so firm here, if in the final minutes it’s only pick 23 and 2022 2nd we can reluctantly accept, but may also end up with panic in last minutes….
They can take him in the psd

We are screwed

No leg to stand on

We are gonna get ficked over by crows

They have nothing really on there list we want , obviously won’t give up a gun like dodee etc

Being out of contact will see us getting screwed
Hate to say it, but I tend to agree.
Is there any chance of a third club being involved?
Not sure what or who it would be but it's worth consideration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fischer mcasey hasn't set the world alight in a few senior outings but he's big, still young and there's obviously plenty who rated him a key defender of the future ... wonder if the crows would throw him in a dawson deal?

Ollie Wines is a great case study in how at the end of the day we are all headless chooks when it comes to judging players.

A lot of people said that the reigning Brownlow Medalist Wines was over-rated and we shouldn't go after him a year or so ago.

A lot of the same people judged me for thinking Parker is over-rated and we shouldn't make him such a focal point of the midfield.

A lot of people used Parker coming top five in the Brownlow last year and runner-up several years ago to justify their point of view.

A lot of people were bothered that I was dismissing his Brownlow finishes because I didn't put much stock in the award.

I am now using the award to make a point about the double standard in how we view our players vs opposition players, thus completing the cycle of hypocrisy and contradiction.

At the end of the day perhaps it is the clearest evidence that sometimes there is no reason or rhyme behind how we perceive players. Sometimes you just rate one player and you don't rate another, when in reality those two players might actually be incredibly similar.

The ruck thing is a tough one.

Despite having so many Orthopaedic Surgeons on this board we really don't know Naismith's prognosis.

What I'd do is sign Reid for another year as a backup first ruck.

Hope like hell Naismith comes good in the back half of the year.

Draft Billy King as a rookie.

Delist Sinclair.

The upside here is you may have 2 genuine first grade rucks available at the business end of the year.

You have 2 local boys developing in the local competition.

The risk is your first 3 options in the ruck are all susceptible to injury (but even then you wind up with Amartey rucking and McLean at FF which is better than what we've had in recent years.

I love Sinkers but I think there are 5 blokes who offer more in the first ruck position than he does now.

It relies a little on luck but all success in the AFL has some luck factor.
Don't need to be a surgeon to know Naismith is cooked .

I'm putting a line through Naismith, Sinkers and Reid.

Need to rejuvenate.

I’m no fan of Reid but earlier this season he was in close to career best form. He’s also pretty versatile.

I wonder if another 12 months on next to nothing might be the go.

When we could be playing McDonald or Amartey? Waste of time send him to GC for a late pick

That could be a feasible strategy... a core group of 6-10 players you build your success around, and the rest are expendable.

Until someone from that 6-10 players is the one walking out the door. In which case you can forget a flag.
Definitely, that's probably why we would be seen to pay overs for a few players, and that's how our managers get the big bucks. I have a feeling our core currently is Parker, Rampe, Kennedy (these three are on the older side), and Mills, Heeney, (entering prime), and Blakey, Gulden, Campbell (lots of promise). IMO, I feel we will pay all our academy kids extra because there's no question on there loyalty, and we can trust them to stick with us. I think we will want to make Rowbottom and McInerney part of the necessary group, and I hope there's no desire from them to go back to Victoria.

It's not an easy situation, but it might just be what we have to put up with and the reason why academy's are so important.

We might be in a situation, come 5-10 years, where half our best 22 are academy player (we already have 6 of our best 22 in that category)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back