List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought we might keep Ling for that role.
Reckon Wicks could play back pocket - his tenacity, speed and aggression are big strengths and well suited down there. Is his decision making under pressure good enough?
Said that 3 years ago. Given his pressure performance he'll be hard to replace up forward. Sheather might be a candidate for either spot too.

General question. Who would be willing to trade into the 2nd round with Melbournes future first this year?

Looking at points, unreliable I know, it's a break even if we were to swap 26+27 from Richmond for 39 and the D's first. Would you do it? I get the feeling there is a drop off around the 30 mark this year.
Probably better to keep our powder dry for next year but if there was a mix of Murley, Bazzo, Wilmot, Howes, Taylor floating around that mark I probably would.

General question. Who would be willing to trade into the 2nd round with Melbournes future first this year?

Looking at points, unreliable I know, it's a break even if we were to swap 26+27 from Richmond for 39 and the D's first. Would you do it? I get the feeling there is a drop off around the 30 mark this year.
Probably better to keep our powder dry for next year but if there was a mix of Murley, Bazzo, Wilmot, Howes, Taylor floating around that mark I probably would.
If we truly believe we're a chance the year after next at a flag, then that is the prudent move. Get an athletic player in this year with an eye on having him ready the following. Will it be enough though given the entire footy world sees the pick being the last in the first round anyways?

I don't think our list is in dire need of a refill at the draft. I'd prefer we remain patient and grab some project players later in the draft or rookie spot.

I would but I know many wouldn’t. But the question is what could we get and who would be interested plus I’d only do it for a midfielder

1634856588987.png
1634856718589.png

18. makes sense.
Gee I'd hate to miss out on Leek Alleer at 33 without trying to grab him in the late 20s by trading into a pick.
Motlop would surely just piss off back to Freo ASAP. Why wouldn't Freo want him? Is he only protected from 3rd round on or something?

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...**********-espn-early-two-round-phantom-draft

Attachments

• 1634856653737.png
    1634856653737.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 35
View attachment 1265453
View attachment 1265457

18. makes sense.
Gee I'd hate to miss out on Leek Alleer at 33 without trying to grab him in the late 20s by trading into a pick.
Motlop would surely just piss off back to Freo ASAP. Why wouldn't Freo want him? Is he only protected from 3rd round on or something?

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...**********-espn-early-two-round-phantom-draft
Not a fan of taking a small forward this year. Would prefer Sheldrick who went to the very next selection

I just don't think we have the list spots to facilitate bringing in more than 3 kids in the draft.

I would but I know many wouldn’t. But the question is what could we get and who would be interested plus I’d only do it for a midfielder
So if there was a key backman (a position we need to address) that slides to that Richmond pick and they were willing to go for the live trade you wouldn't do it.

But you would for a midfielder?

So if there was a key backman (a position we need to address) that slides to that Richmond pick and they were willing to go for the live trade you wouldn't do it.

But you would for a midfielder?

Correct. Personally we can get a defender at our first or second. Mids the other picks. Simple

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct. Personally we can get a defender at our first or second. Mids the other picks. Simple
you were taking a mid with our first yesterday
if it's me I'm going tall defender at first and 2nd picks. It's the area of need and hopefully one can be a regular starter by 2023.

if it's me I'm going tall defender at first and 2nd picks. It's the area of need and hopefully one can be a regular starter by 2023.

I would RATHER us take a mid t the first pick yes, but if we go for a defender that is fine, take two mids at the other two, one being a POD mid.

I'm all for picking up 2 KPDs, or at least a KPD and swingman like Van Rooyen. If the club has eyes on a few at the rookie draft level and we're confident we'll get one, I'm ok with grabbing the 2nd one there, and using a couple of our national draft picks on mids, with preference to an outside/winger first up. But... if Van Rooyen, Bazzo, others are available at our picks in their range (even with a small reach), and we go a mid, I won't be happy. The (poor) justification of pushing Hewett out was that we have too many mids / great mid depth, and although I get that grabbing at least 1 at the draft is a good idea, grabbing a mid for the sake of it over what we actually need would be bewildering.

Also sounds like we're looking at Warner, Dittmar a bit, so I'd suspect we'll look at one of those with our 2nd or 3rd picks (and likely we'll take Anderson as a late pick if forced, or at rookie draft). Makes grabbing a KPD (or Van Rooyen) at our 1st pick more important.

My dream would be (we may have more rookie picks, not sure):

N1 (~18) - KPD (or Van Rooyen)
N2 (~32) - outside/winger
N3 (~39) - inside mid / hybrid (who can use the ball decently)

R1 - KPD
R2 - Anderson
R3 - mid/winger with potential to be small defender

Last edited:
No chance imo, if you want a regular KPD by 2023 you have to trade one in. Most take a minimum of three years.

If they are playing that early they are top 5 picks eg Weitering

Sorry, I tend to disagree with you but that's my perspective of Rampe's kicking. We all have our opinions and in this case they are obviously miles apart. So be it!

It’s not an opinion. “As often as not” is 50% of the time...no more no less. You are wrong on this.

View attachment 1265453
View attachment 1265457

18. makes sense.

Van Rooyen sounds like he has Reid's attributes. I know the question would be about comparing the physical resilience, however he may be a good like-for-like replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back