Status
Not open for further replies.

ShireSwan

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Probably a more relevant Draft Rankings list given our current available selections.

Can we trade out top pick for 4 picks, cause all these guys seem like AA team players of the future.
Josh Browne's write up....seems like he can't do much more other than be born in Geelong, I wonder why he's that far down the rankings.

This bit is interesting...

1637386237275.png

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

Basically an article pointing out that hype leading into the draft doesn't necessarily match output with regards to an AFL career and that lockdowns will require a degree of drafting guesswork.
Nothing particularly earth shattering, but I did think this was interesting;

Birth dates have a lot to do with development too. A few months makes a big difference to development when you’re a teenager.
Only one of last year’s top 10 was born in the second half of the year. Only four of the last 30 top 10 selections have been born after August 1.
But players catch up as they mature. Seven of 2021’s best and fairest winners were born after October 1. Five of them weren’t drafted in the first round. Two had to wait until the rookie draft.
And of course lockdowns, especially in Victoria, will also impact upon development.
Beatson has previously spoken about how he considers late birthdays can be somewhat of an advantage.
And perhaps even more so with regard to talls later in the draft?
McCartin pick 33 (30/12/99), Melican rookie (4/11/96), Amartey rookie (2/9/99), Reid pick 38 (27/12/91), Aliir pick 44 (5/9/94).

FWIW some of this year's tall nominees and their birthdays;
Alleer (21/08/01), Bazzo (17/10/03), Dean (19/06/01), JVR (16/04/03), Schlensog (25/09/2000), Williams (1/12/03) (Alleer SANFL, Dean VFL, other 4 WA).
(I've excluded players such as Andrew and Gibcus who will be gone before our first pick, but have included matureagers in Alleer, Dean & the Sog).

Lastly a reminder that anotherletdown's favourite, Darcy Wilmot (albeit a flanker) has a birthday of 31/12/03. ;)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

Basically an article pointing out that hype leading into the draft doesn't necessarily match output with regards to an AFL career and that lockdowns will require a degree of drafting guesswork.

And of course lockdowns, especially in Victoria, will also impact upon development.
Beatson has previously spoken about how he considers late birthdays can be somewhat of an advantage.
And perhaps even moreso with regard to talls later in the draft?
McCartin pick 33 (30/12/99), Melican rookie (4/11/96), Amartey rookie (2/9/99), Reid pick 38 (27/12/91), Aliir pick 44 (5/9/94).

FWIW some of this year tall nominees and their birthdays;
Alleer (21/08/01), Bazzo (17/10/03), Dean (19/06/01), JVR (16/04/03), Williams (1/12/03)
(I've excluded players such as Andrew and Gibcus who will be gone before our first pick, but have included matureagers in Alleer & Dean).

Lastly a reminder that anotherletdown's favourite Darcy Wilmot (albeit a flanker) has a birthday of 31/12/03. ;)
I'd be over the moon with Wilmot, Sounds like a real team player.

Bandicoot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2016
Ballarat
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
The Herald Sun has done a full mock draft.

Welcome Darcy Wilmot, Cooper Murley, Charlie Dean and James Tunstill.
I'm happy with the Wilmot and Dean selections but I feel that we would grab Warner rather than Murley with our second pick.
Interesting to note that our pick 31 became 35 and 39 became 42 due to the number of academy picks.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Some people need to go back to 2019 and 2020 and watch those games, particularly early in the year when you are starting with a plan to implement your own style.

To say that we played defensive football in 2019 and 2020 and it all changed in 2021 is just flat out wrong.
My opinion that Pyke had a significant influence in how we played this year is not based on a change of focus. It is based on player interviews, where they mentioned how much they have learnt from the Don.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

And perhaps even more so with regard to talls later in the draft?

FWIW some of this year's tall nominees and their birthdays;
Alleer (21/08/01), Bazzo (17/10/03), Dean (19/06/01), JVR (16/04/03), Williams (1/12/03) (Alleer SANFL, Dean VFL, other 3 WA).
(I've excluded players such as Andrew and Gibcus who will be gone before our first pick, but have included matureagers in Alleer & Dean).

Lastly a reminder that anotherletdown's favourite, Darcy Wilmot (albeit a flanker) has a birthday of 31/12/03. ;)

Cat's out of the bag now :oops:. My secret drafting rationale has been outed. Erasmus is the other Dec. that stands out - he could be another Heeney

What would Wilmot's draft range be if he was 1 day older...? hint, it's probably a single figure number. I also think we should be preparing for a gap at Lloyd's position, and Rampe's leadership in a few years time, Wilmot covers both.
I know I'm a broken record but Wilmot or Chesser at our first would be rock solid gold. The one I'm scared of drafting is Sonsie... not sure exactly what it is but I'm not on board

Swansujelly

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 6, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NBA, Woodville,
Chad Warner has a Stephens vibe, but perhaps a bit more oompf, if that make sense.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Cat's out of the bag now :oops:. My secret drafting rationale has been outed. Erasmus is the other Dec. that stands out - he could be another Heeney

What would Wilmot's draft range be if he was 1 day older...? hint, it's probably a single figure number. I also think we should be preparing for a gap at Lloyd's position, and Rampe's leadership in a few years time, Wilmot covers both.
I know I'm a broken record but Wilmot or Chesser at our first would be rock solid gold. The one I'm scared of drafting is Sonsie... not sure exactly what it is but I'm not on board
Not sure if you thought I was having a go at you, but certainly wasn't the case.
It's just that where most people have been uncertain about who they want, you've been on the Wilmot bandwagon from the get go.

I'd still prefer Taylor, but Wilmot or Chesser would be fine. The latter two are, at this point of time, essentially flankers, whereas Taylor is a skilled midfielder who was getting better as the season wore on (until Covid intervened).

As for Erasmus, would love to get him, but obviously will be long gone.
One guy I wish there was more vision of is Finn Callaghan. Clearly not in our range, but that 90 sec clip that the AFL has put up, IMO, shows nothing to suggest to me he is pick 2 of the 'open players'. The view seems virtually unanimous that he is, I wish there was visual evidence to help convince me.
There are a few clips of Erasmus and good overhead, dual sided, inside/outside/fwd, a guy who comes from a cricket background, didn't play at the U16s, so late developer with that December birthday. Only slight knocks appear to be minor questions on his kicking consistency/speed.

Last edited:

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
AcronymDefinition
PODProof Of Delivery
PODPay On Demand
PODPrint On Demand
PODPayable on Death (band name)
PODPayable on Death
PODPicture of the Day
PODPick of Destiny (Tenacious D movie/album/song)
PODPeroxidase
PODPlan of Development (land development; various organizations)
PODPlace of Duty
PODPrince Of Darkness
PODPrevention of Depression (therapy)
PODPermission of the Department (various locations)
PODProgression of Disease
PODPot of Duality (Yu-Gi-Oh trading card)
PODProbability Of Detection
PODPaper on Demand (various organizations)
PODPlain Old Documentation (Perl)
PODPower on Demand (energy)
PODPlan Of the Day
PODPoint of Dispensing
PODPoint of Departure
PODProduction on Demand (manufacturing)
PODPeople and Organizational Development (various organizations)
PODPerformance Optimized Data (various organizations)
PODPersonal Open Directory
PODPortable on Demand
PODPing of Death
PODPublishing on Demand
PODPersonal Option Digital
PODPacket of Disconnect
PODPlay on Demand
PODPrimary Output Device
PODPower on Diagnostics
PODPoint of Deployment
PODPlain Old Data
PODPlain Old Documentation
PODPersonal on Demand
PODPoint of Difference
PODPostoperative Day
PODPoint of Distribution
PODPiece Of Data
PODPassed Out Drunk
PODPing of Death (type of hacking/network attack)
PODPublish on Demand
PODPort Of Debarkation
PODProper Orthogonal Decomposition
PODPerioral Dermatitis
PODProduction Operator Dashboard
PODPort of Discharge (shipping)
PODPost Office Department
PODPlain Old Data (programming, especially C++)
PODPoint of Deployment (module; television cable industry)
PODPoint-Of-Deployment (cable TV)
PODPoint of Divergence (alternate history)
PODPost Of Duty
PODPower of Darkness
PODProcessing of Data
PODPort of Departure
PODProblem of the Day
PODProof Of Deposit
PODPath Of Daggers
PODPacific Ocean Division (USACE)
PODPoint of Destination (navigation)
PODPayload Operations Director (US NASA)
PODProfessional Organizational Development (various organizations)
PODPay On Delivery
PODPrecise Orbit Determination
PODPoint of Development
PODPlain Old Document
PODPayment on Delivery
PODPoint of Discharge
PODPresbytery of Detroit (Michigan)
PODPouch of Douglas
PODPoint of Destruction (computer gaming clan)
PODParty of Death (book)
PODPhysician-Owned Distributorship
PODProgrammatorische Overheidsdienst
PODPlay on Demand (Line 6)
PODPelagic Organism Decline
PODPersonnel On Duty
PODProbability Of Damage
PODPay or Die (role playing game)
PODParts on Demand
PODPayload Operations Division (US NASA)
PODProof of Design
PODPool of Darkness (Dungeons & Dragons computer game)
PODPin on Disc
PODPlane of Disease (gaming)
PODPoint of Demarcation
PODPer Our Discussion
PODProtective Oceanic Device
PODParacetamol Overdose
PODPerception of Dyspnea (pulmonology)
PODPeacock Obsessive Disorder
PODPirated Optical Disc
PODPlayable on Death (band)
PODParent Of the Day
PODPriest of Discord (Everquest)
PODPeace Out Dawg
PODParachute Opening Device
PODProcessor on Demand
PODPermissible Operating Distance
PODPost Operation Day
PODPorpoise Detector (static acoustic monitoring instrument)
PODPendulum of Doom (World of Warcraft)
PODPhase Opposition Disposition
PODProtection on Demand
PODProject Overview Document
PODPost-Orgasmic Disgust
PODProof of Development
PODProduct of Desire (UK clothing company)
PODProgrammable Option Devices
PODPost-Orgasmic Depression
PODPlace of Dolphins (chat server)
PODPatient Own Drugs
PODProcess Oriented Description
PODPoint of Disconnection
PODPercent of Decrease
PODPlanar Optical Display
PODProject Operations Director
PODProcess Operational Diagram
PODPoint Of Destitution
PODPackage Outline Drawing
PODPast Over Dosed
PODPacket Over DSL
PODPlanar Orthogonal Drawing
PODProgram Operation Description
PODPfeffer Outpatient Disability Scale
PODProgram Objectives Document (DCAA)
PODProgrammer on Duty (help desk)
PODprotocol option device
PODPost-Operation Debriefing
PODPious or Overly Devotional (blog slang)
PODPerspectives of Difference
PODPersonal Obligation Day
PODProgram Operational Date
PODProcurement Office Desktop
PODPoint/Port of Delivery
PODPersonal Operable Device
PODPressure Operated Directional (valve)
PODPhase-Only Digitized
PODPersonnel Observation Device (surveillance camera)
PODProfit on Differences (investing)
I’d love to have the Prince of Darkness in our midfield.

Where players play in the U18's doesn't mean anything.

You're drafted for your abilities and then adapted to whatever the team needs.

Ruckmen are pretty much the only exception, and that's because the ruck is an archaic position.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure if you thought I was having a go at you, but certainly wasn't the case.
It's just that where most people have been uncertain about who they want, you've been on the Wilmot bandwagon from the get go.

I'd still prefer Taylor, but Wilmot or Chesser would be fine. The latter two are, at this point of time, essentially flankers, whereas Taylor is a skilled midfielder who was getting better as the season wore on (until Covid intervened).

As for Erasmus, would love to get him, but obviously will be long gone.
One guy I wish there was more vision of is Finn Callaghan. Clearly not in our range, but that 90 sec clip that the AFL has put up, IMO, shows nothing to suggest to me he is pick 2 of the 'open players'. The view seems virtually unanimous that he is, I wish there was visual evidence to help convince me.
There are a few clips of Erasmus and good overhead, dual sided, inside/outside/fwd, a guy who comes from a cricket background, didn't play at the U16s, so late developer with that December birthday. Only slight knocks appear to be minor questions on his kicking consistency/speed.

Just glad you noticed! Fact - Wilmot is 350+ days younger than Sinn, Daicos and Knevitt... that has to mean something in development potential.
Erasmus will be long gone.. sadly
I thought the same with Callaghan, there were a few changes of direction that looked custom made for rib cage damage from a supporting defender and not much else. I did see he held this years schools record for the 100 and 400, so thats definately something... 100m in well under 12 seconds is flying. I presume he can kick a ball too...?

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
It is a cliche but "the best defence is a good offence" as well since actually having the ball prevents your opponent from having it.
Except that Melbourne rated 1st in WTB metrics (without the ball), and that the main source of scoring over the last half a decade has been turnovers, which is directly linked to pressure without the ball.

Of course, keeping the ball is ideal, but it's not something you can regularly build a gameplan around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back