List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With that in mind, I think the best picks for us will be the following:

Pick 16 - Jason Horne-Francis
Pick 31 - Finn Callaghan
Pick 39 - Ben Hobbs
If we can then get Mac Andrew in the rookie draft then I think we would be pretty happy.
Didn't finish top 10 in any of the Victorian State Combine tests. He's a spud.

I've been over the rankings and think I have come up with the best combination. Keep in mind that I am basing my picks on talent, and not necessarily needs, however I have also taken the latter into account during the process. I have also eliminated the academy/father son picks and have cross-referenced a number of phantom drafts as well as 'top prospects' lists and listened to a few podcasts. With that in mind, I think the best picks for us will be the following:

Pick 16 - Jason Horne-Francis
Pick 31 - Finn Callaghan
Pick 39 - Ben Hobbs
If we can then get Mac Andrew in the rookie draft then I think we would be pretty happy.
Looks ok to me.

*First Round

Some of us will have the combined experience of being unhappy and stewing over our 1st pick, as well as speculating about our others for an extra day!

Of course, wouldn't surprise me if the club gets towards our pick, having kept us all in suspense throughout the 1st round, then has a wanted player taken off the board, trades out of the first round and leaves us with all our picks on Thursday.

FWIW - Last night I had a dream where we took 3 players who no-one had any idea about, no one had mentioned, even the media writers were struggling to provide any detail. They were all massive 'reaches'. One had been playing in the QAFL, that's the most specific detail I can recall.
Sounds more like a nightmare than a dream.

*First Round

Some of us will have the combined experience of being unhappy and stewing over our 1st pick, as well as speculating about our others for an extra day!

Of course, wouldn't surprise me if the club gets towards our pick, having kept us all in suspense throughout the 1st round, then has a wanted player taken off the board, trades out of the first round and leaves us with all our picks on Thursday.

FWIW - Last night I had a dream where we took 3 players who no-one had any idea about, no one had mentioned, even the media writers were struggling to provide any detail. They were all massive 'reaches'. One had been playing in the QAFL, that's the most specific detail I can recall.
Some of us dream of Denise Richards when she was younger, and others dream of stuffing up draft night.

If history is anything to go by

First pick:
* We will pick a player not mentioned by anyone
* This player will be a dynamo and win at least 2 brownlows.
* Definitely not a reach
* Top 22 immediately.

Twomey's draft up;
Has us taking at pick 18;
Tom Brown
POS: Defender
Ht 186cm, Wt 77kg, DOB 30/7/03
From Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
Brown combines power, speed, footy smarts and composure to be a promising prospect across half-back. He reads the ball well in the air and is comfortable using his leap to go for marks, and he distributes the ball without too much fuss as well. The son of former Geelong player Paul and brother of Cats AFLW player Millie, Brown isn't eligible to join the Cats as a father-son pick. The Swans have had a look at Brown and could pull the trigger.
If not him? Wingman/forward Blake Howes could be a shot, as may Sam Butler. If still on the board Darcy Wilmot will be a contender for the Swans' pick.

Only first 30 picks covered.
Other names that have been bandied around; Wilmot to Brisbane at 16, JVR to Brisbane at 20, Chesser to Geelong at 24, Bazzo & Taylor not in his top 30, nor are Dittmar or Sheldrick.
Others, Butler 15, Draper 26, Goater 21, Howes 19, Knevitt 23, Sinn 14, Sonsie 17.

He also provided an overview in the same article;
Sydney
Picks: 16, 31, 39, 69, 84, 89 (likely to use three or four selections)
Zac Taylor has been linked to the Swans with their second pick if he is still on the board at that point. The Calder Cannons prospect is a natural footballer with sharp skills who would likely start as a forward/midfielder, while leaping Leek Alleer could still be on the board at their second pick. The Swans could look at Kade Dittmar late, with the contested midfielder having some interest in the backend of the draft, while they have nominated Angus Anderson out of their Academy and could grab him late or as a rookie. Anderson is a 188cm ball-winner. The Swans are expected to sign former St Kilda No.1 pick Paddy McCartin through the pre-season supplemental selection period player after he did not nominate for the draft.

EDIT.
Brown's highlights from AFL.com

Obviously just 90 seconds but certainly IMO in terms of med defenders Chesser's and Wilmot's highlights have him covered.
I will admit extrapolating an AFL career based on short highlights packages may not quite match the effort recruiters have put into these guys (or at least that's what Beatson & Dalrymple want you you to believe).

Last edited:
No offence to Tom Brown, I am sure he will be a good player but the last thing we need is a medium defender.
You'd guess he'd be a flight risk considering how much Geelong boys want to get home and the strong ties he has with the club.

Road to the The Draft AFL Podcast

Interview with Kinnear starts at 46:53 into the podcast you'll need spotify or Apple or Google to listen.

Said Dalrymple curled up on the floor in foetal position when he found out we'd moved back from 12 to 16..:roflv1::laughv1:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey's draft up;
Has us taking at pick 18;

Only first 30 picks covered.
Other names that have been bandied around; Wilmot to Brisbane at 16, JVR to Brisbane at 20, Chesser to Geelong at 24, Bazzo & Taylor not in his top 30.

He also provided an overview in the same article;
Sydney
Picks: 16, 31, 39, 69, 84, 89 (likely to use three or four selections)
Browne, Taylor Alleer, Diitma.......
I reckon Twomey will be close, however with more unknowns this year than normal, Twomey could be completely wrong?
3-4 draftees.. I read that as, depending on a few things..
p16 (1st pick)
whether we can or need to trade up. 31 + 39 = p25 (2nd pick)
Is anyone left worth picking at p69 (3rd/4th pick)
Anderson - Rookie or match a bid (3rd/4th pick)
reckon we'll take Anderson.

Kinnear has said on a number of occasions.. its not the draft for talls.. next year is where you will get talls.. and Swans have 2 x 1st round picks 2022.
Wouldn't be surprised with - 2 x smalls, 1 x tall, Anderson, Paddy
- 1 x inside big body .. Anderson
- 1 x medium defender .. Browne?
- 2 x KPP .. Paddy, Alleer, Van Roohen
- 1 x outside mid .. Taylor

Blakey, Mills, Heeney… but in all seriousness, I think you’re right. He had us going with Flanders, DGB, LO’B and Simpkin for our last four live first rounders
He did state pre-draft that we'd shown interest in Stephens.

I think he kinda knows who we've spoken to - but we'd have spoken to plenty.

I'll be impressed if you list 3 names and it's one of them with our first this year

Not aimed at me but I'll take the bait

Chesser/Wilmot/Browne (too much smoke, but I'd prefer others... that aren't named Butler or Sonsie)
Bazzo/Taylor/Long
Dittmar/Murley/Lohmann

Hoping we get Linke or Harbour in the rookie draft but we might be too far back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back