2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure if fife was good enough he wouldn’t of been delisted. He shouldn’t just get a list spot because he’s from the academy

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Matthew Lloyd is of the belief that a move to the Gold Coast would benefit both the fledgling Suns and underutilized Bulldog Mitch Wallis.

The three-time Coleman Medalist stated that the Pups' vice-captain would serve Stuart Dew’s list across multiple areas and cited his ability to aid the development of younger Bulldogs as a hallmark of his quality.

“I know they [Gold Coast] get spoken about a lot in this space … I reckon he (Wallis) would be amazing for them in terms of the character he brings,” Lloyd told AFL Trade Radio on Wednesday.

Matthew Lloyd is of the belief that a move to the Gold Coast would benefit both the fledgling Suns and underutilized Bulldog Mitch Wallis.

The three-time Coleman Medalist stated that the Pups' vice-captain would serve Stuart Dew’s list across multiple areas and cited his ability to aid the development of younger Bulldogs as a hallmark of his quality.

“I know they [Gold Coast] get spoken about a lot in this space … I reckon he (Wallis) would be amazing for them in terms of the character he brings,” Lloyd told AFL Trade Radio on Wednesday.
I agree I just don’t know where you’d play him and who he replaces

Ok but let's compare Fyfe to Towey , both play the same position , one has vastly better stats than the other , Towey has done absolutely nothing in two years , one is a local kid who has put his body on the line for the club during the academy games yet gets burnt . I am a Gold coast resident who is sick of seeing the suns at the bottom of the ladder mainly through warped list decisions and the obsession of beating the Titans to the back page by left field player signings. Get to a final then start getting funky but stop burning gold coast footy talent , if I had a son I wouldn't want him going through the GC adademy atm as it's not an even playing field
"Gold Coast local Aidan Fyfe makes his debut" sounds like the perfect back page to me. (exhibit A)

https://www.aflq.com.au/gold-coast-suns-select-local-stars-2/

So I can't really subscribe to this theory, although it's not he first time it has arisen on this board..

Wouldn't close the door on his AFL career - showed a bit in VFL games.
I liked what I saw from him in favour of Nicholls so disappointed if he goes but Nicholls stays.
Conroy is 199cm and can take a contested mark. I'm sorry, but these guys DO get evaluated differently to 190cm half back flankers because they take longer, ultimately are far more valuable if they make the grade. Not to mention this is a massive position of need for us.

Can't really compare him to Towey, Ace, Murtagh given A and B rookies are permitted under completely different rules. He would understand this.

If Lloyd rates him that enough for me to say no, Lloyd is an imbecile

Has limitations as a midfielder. Don't think he's necessarily miles better than Fiorini so wouldn't be bringing him in expecting bulk midfield time.

Weirdly, I thought he had better stats playing that forward role over the last few years.
Thought he'd kicked 35 goals one year.

Seems as though he's around a 1 goal a game type player.
Seems as though he played mostly midfield in the VFL - 3 goals in 6 games.

Obviously highly regarded leader.
Wouldn't mind it - replacing Towsend in the same role essentially. A 2 year deal on average money would be all that you would give him.

Would be competing for a position with Alex Sexton.

Just because they are an academy player does not mean they deserve to stay on the list.

Now, should Fyfe have got another year? Maybe. But the reality is players need to be delisted—we simply do not have the list spots and he is not an immediate position of need as a 190cm back.

You can argue for Towey and Ace to be delisted too, and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree. But that’s what Cat B rookie spots are for: international project players to sit on a list, outside the cap, for a few years and maybe turn into something.

So we have no money
And no list spots

and Dew needs to make finals otherwise he loses his job.

almost feel
Sorry for him

The club makes decisions which cause coaches to coach with 1 arm behind there back.

hopefully Campbell will come in and shake things up
It's a circular debate that the AFL hasn't ever been able to address
The Melbourne based Clubs have more money and more desirability but get the same salary cap
They tried COLA in Sydney and got whacked because Sydney has always been good
So they fiddle around with list spots and draft picks-but we have to pay 200k more than every other Club to retain the high end picks at year 1
We overpay for Horlin Smiths and Atkins and then don't have enough room to develop talented youngsters like Fyfe
It's a vicious cycle that looks difficult to break

It's a circular debate that the AFL hasn't ever been able to address
The Melbourne based Clubs have more money and more desirability but get the same salary cap
They tried COLA in Sydney and got whacked because Sydney has always been good
So they fiddle around with list spots and draft picks-but we have to pay 200k more than every other Club to retain the high end picks at year 1
We overpay for Horlin Smiths and Atkins and then don't have enough room to develop talented youngsters like Fyfe
It's a vicious cycle that looks difficult to break
Paying over's is an interesting one.

You can understand why a player living in Melbourne wants the security of a good contract to move. But having said that it's not like they are moving to a different country/culture either. Some times all this "going home" business seems a bit precious.

Playing over's to retain young stars is justifiable imo (but risks demotivating them if they get rewards too early ie Brodie/Wright), but not for list cloggers like HS or Atkins. The cynic in me wonders if it's a case of doing player agents a favour as much as anything, which you see in soccer a lot.

If the Suns are to receive any help from the AFL in future it really needs to be extra salary for both players and staff.

So we have no money
And no list spots

and Dew needs to make finals otherwise he loses his job.

almost feel
Sorry for him

The club makes decisions which cause coaches to coach with 1 arm behind there back.

hopefully Campbell will come in and shake things up

Pretty sure i mate a comment on the clubs financial status a few weeks ago saying $$$$ was tight.. got shot for it. Your 100% correct! The only thing is we are paying overs for a lot of the guys on the list. That seems to be the only way the club can get any half decent names. The only player on the suns list that's worth his value atm would be Miller and you could throw Ellis in. He was outstanding when he managed to get on the field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Splitting pick 3 for more picks, hmmmm why does this seem familiar, and fraught with danger.

Agree it really could be pretty dangerous.

Maybe our footy dept are thinking with 3 we can get a Horne, Callaghan Ward or Roberts, and all are probably worth it, but we're sorta ok with mids but desperate for KPD's and 3 is too high for Gibcus, Andrew, Sinn types.
So if we can trade 3 for Richmonds 7 15 (example) with maybe one of our picks in the 20's going back, then we'd be better placed to get 2 KPP's instead of 1.
I'm not sure of list spots avail or who's getting delisted etc. but it's just another way of looking at the situation facing us.

Agree it really could be pretty dangerous.

Maybe our footy dept are thinking with 3 we can get a Horne, Callaghan Ward or Roberts, and all are probably worth it, but we're sorta ok with mids but desperate for KPD's and 3 is too high for Gibcus, Andrew, Sinn types.
So if we can trade 3 for Richmonds 7 15 (example) with maybe one of our picks in the 20's going back, then we'd be better placed to get 2 KPP's instead of 1.
I'm not sure of list spots avail or who's getting delisted etc. but it's just another way of looking at the situation facing us.
We thought 3/4 was to high for Clayton Oliver too. Look how that turned out. Don't need to "win" a trade, just take who we want with 3, this has disaster written all over it.

We thought 3/4 was to high for Clayton Oliver too. Look how that turned out. Don't need to "win" a trade, just take who we want with 3, this has disaster written all over it.
Only one example though, and while I agree it's a big loss, imagine we traded 3 and 10 for 6 and a future 8 any other year

2017 it would have been Paddy Dow (3) and Lochie O'Brien (10) for Jaidyn Stephenson (6) and Tarryn Thomas (2018 pick 8) which we would have won
2018 it would have been Izak Rankine (3) and Nick Blakey (10) for Ben King (6) and Caleb Serong (2019 pick 8) which we would have won

Very few players turn out like Oliver has.

Not to mention the club is seemingly looking to split it which really just means we're getting 2 bites for the price of one. definitely worth doing when there is no consensus pick we could take at 3 anyway.

Only one example though, and while I agree it's a big loss, imagine we traded 3 and 10 for 6 and a future 8 any other year

2017 it would have been Paddy Dow (3) and Lochie O'Brien (10) for Jaidyn Stephenson (6) and Tarryn Thomas (2018 pick 8) which we would have won
2018 it would have been Izak Rankine (3) and Nick Blakey (10) for Ben King (6) and Caleb Serong (2019 pick 8) which we would have won

Very few players turn out like Oliver has.

Not to mention the club is seemingly looking to split it which really just means we're getting 2 bites for the price of one. definitely worth doing when there is no consensus pick we could take at 3 anyway.
I understand where you are coming from and I agree with it can definitely end up as a win.
I just am battlescared from our horrible trading history, if we like a prospect just take them. Don't * around and miss out on someone we rate trying to be cute. We don't have the luxury of ******* up draft picks, we don't have the talent spread or the history of developing players behind us.

Suns would be crazy to trade pick #3 if this is actually true and not just made up by reporters chasing clicks
#3 Gibcus is exactly the player the suns should be looking at . Think Lever / Grimes

There is no other decent Defender available before pick #15-#20 and Suns already have a pick at that range
If Gibcus is gone before then best available and Van Rooyen/Bazo make most sense with the 2 picks you have 19 & 22

How to find list spots is the issue

There is no other decent Defender available before pick #15-#20 and Suns already have a pick at that range
If they aren't selected, does that not make them available?
#3 Gibcus is exactly the player the suns should be looking at . Think Lever / Grimes
There's also no guarantee whoever gets Pick 3 from the Suns will take him, if they trade with the Crows is a one pick downgrade for presumably more currency later on/ next year, if they trade with Richmond it's hard to see the teams picking between 4-6 (Crows, Hawks, Carlton/Freo) going a KPD given their list positions. The biggest threat before Richmond is GWS who are picking before the Suns anyway

If they aren't selected, does that not make them available?

There's also no guarantee whoever gets Pick 3 from the Suns will take him, if they trade with the Crows is a one pick downgrade for presumably more currency later on/ next year, if they trade with Richmond it's hard to see the teams picking between 4-6 (Crows, Hawks, Carlton/Freo) going a KPD given their list positions. The biggest threat before Richmond is GWS who are picking before the Suns anyway
Why would the crows be wanting to trade up ?
Carlton would most definately be interested in Gibcus with Jones 2 years left Marchbank doubts and Plowman also not a high level defender which leves them with only JW. Gibcus makes alot of sense .

It also mitigates other clubs moving up to take him

Why would the crows be wanting to trade up ?
Carlton would most definately be interested in Gibcus with Jones 2 years left Marchbank doubts and Plowman also not a high level defender which leves them with only JW. Gibcus makes alot of sense .

It also mitigates other clubs moving up to take him
Crows were also mentioned in the afl.com.au article as having interest in trading up for the Suns pick. I reckon if Carlton hold their first rounder they'll be looking at another midfielder that can play the role Cerra does rather than a KPD, you don't really go for an expensive mid if you don't see it as a need

How to find list spots is the issue
Not really. You just de-list rookies and move seniors to rookie list. The main issue is that AFL still did not confirm Suns list size and concessions (pick 19, pre-listing). It's really shocking attitude from AFL when trade season starts next week.

As for spots, presuming the last year size stays (38 senior + 9 cat A + 2 cat B).

At present Suns got 45 players -> 4 spots available (0 senior list, 4 cat A, 0 cat B).

One of possible scenarios:
Brodie trade out -> 44 (1, 4, 0)
Chol in -> 45 (0, 4, 0)

move 3 senior players to cat A (e.g. McLennan, Mcpherson, Graham) -> 45 (3, 1, 0)
add 3 picks 3, 19, 22 to senior list -> 48 (0, 1, 0)

de-list 2 more rookies A (e.g. from Nicholls, Townsend, Murtagh, Conroy) 46 (0, 3, 0)
add 3 academy pre-listing to cat A (e.g. Uwland, Bella, Stevens) -> 49 (0, 0, 0)

If we would like to bring in 1-2 more players to the rookie list either from academy or de-listed players we would need to de-list more from rookie lists. We could still create another senior spot by moving e.g. Thompson to rookie list. It could be more trades besides Brodie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back