2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can guess how many suns vfl and junior qld games twomey has watched giving these 2 as the most likely draftees. Purely based on AFL academy selection.
Agree. Bella would be my first pick based on Sat game, good in contest, good set shot, mark, tackled well. Then Uwland with also good traits, competitive, good kick, can mark the ball. The rest I am not sure. Stevens missed most of the season due to injury, way off, very rusty on weekend in his 3rd game back but I believe he has a talent. He played better a year ago in NT. Harris pass for me from a couple of games I saw, nothing stood out.

Last edited:

I haven’t been following him since his 15 but I’m sure he is a better chance of kicking a goal at AFL level than talls Patrick Murtagh and Matt Conroy.
You mean
201cm key forward Matt conroy
195cm Patrick murtagh

not saying they are world beaters by any means. At least they’ve played recently and we know what their strengths and weaknesses are.
You’re wanting to give a list spot to a guy who hasn’t played for 2 years and can’t tell me a single thing about him other than his height.

he was only chosen for the afl
Academy as they need to pick someone from the NT. It’s not like he has ever been particularly highly rated or rated at all by draft watchers.

he’ll stay as an overage and just maybe get taken the following year if he can get back and show any semblance of form after returning from injury.

I’d be gobsmacked of the suns took him this year.

2 years ago, Number 23 for nightcliff. Kid is good

Don’t know about you, but unless he is a top level player - ie top 20 mark, I would be giving him another year to see where he stands after recovering from this lingering groin problem.

saw he had a decent u16 national carnival in 2019 playing as an undersized ruck. Played a few good u18 games in the Darwin league same year. Not exactly a great measuring stick for success in the AFL.

I’d want to see him show something next year as a forward before taking him.

Don’t know about you, but unless he is a top level player - ie top 20 mark, I would be giving him another year to see where he stands after recovering from this lingering groin problem.

saw he had a decent u16 national carnival in 2019 playing as an undersized ruck. Played a few good u18 games in the Darwin league same year. Not exactly a great measuring stick for success in the AFL.

He is more developable imo than Murtagh, Conroy or pretty much anyone else on our rookie list.

The Suns only got Darwin as an academy region as part of these concessions. So we don’t pick him this year we lose rights.

I would much prefer to give someone a list spot with upside and potential then waste 2 on players who will never play AFL footy. Also if he is selected for the AFL draft combine at minimum 5 clubs have nominated him. Poor bloke has been injured and was playing in the NT Thunder NEAFL team at 16 so he can’t be that bad of a player to warrant a rookie spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on R2R that’s woeful. You’d have to throw in something else too.

the reality is your "pick 3" is "pick 5" after you account for Daicos & Darcy. I honestly would throw my toys out of my ******* window if Richmond traded a future 1st rounder just to move up from 9 to 5. How our season ended our 2022 pick could be be quite juicy, the club imploded & the example of clubs which win 3 flags then bounce back after such a drop off are next to none. Richmond trading a future 1st rounder is madness for me - we honestly have nfi where this team will be in 12 months, most our top 10 players are now considered "old" &/or injury prone.

Conroy is an interesting case. I watched him once in pre-season game in 2020 and was not overly impressed. He played only practice games in 2020. Then he did ACL in pre-season 2021 while there was some good feedback about him from coaches.

Watch Qscan rehab update. He is turning into a beast. He looks taller and bigger than Thompson. No de-listing from me. I just want to see how he goes.

The Suns only got Darwin as an academy region as part of these concessions. So we don’t pick him this year we lose rights.

I would much prefer to give someone a list spot with upside and potential then waste 2 on players who will never play AFL footy. Also if he is selected for the AFL draft combine at minimum 5 clubs have nominated him. Poor bloke has been injured and was playing in the NT Thunder NEAFL team at 16 so he can’t be that bad of a player to warrant a rookie spot.
Yeah, I note that the AFL draft combine nomination which is encouraging.
Although obviously it’s not all about athleticism given that is the strength of both Conroy and Murtagh.

Stevens did play a single nt thunder game
In 2019 - 8 possessions, 5 marks, 0 goals is a reasonable game for a 16 year old.

did play well last year in this nt intraclub tournament.

Clean hands above and below his eyeline stood out. Kicked 3 goals including one from the boundary.

he obviously has some talent. He just has very little exposed form of any kind because of the injuries which is entirely my point.
what do we lose by waiting another year and get a better gauge on where he is at. The games he has played over the past few years have been against very low level competition. Another year would give him a chance in the VFL to see what we’ve got.

Wonder how likely he would be picked up by another club this year. Not that likely I reckon.

These guys all have their skillset.
Stevens. Looks mobile for a big guy (so are conroy and Murtagh). More natural footballers than the other two. Not sure you can say much more than that at this stage.

Maybe the club list him but not for the reasons you’ve given (195cm and played 1 game of NEAFL 2 years ago)

VFL sh*t radio populated by sh*t VFL people

Don't worry bods, same stuff 10 times a year, we can't do anything about it. Just ignore

If it happens, we'll be robbing St Kilda with 2 first rounders and whatever else.

I feel King will sign 4 more years which takes him to free agency where he will go then. Rowell Anderson Hollands Flanders yet to fully break out, wouldn't want to leave too early

I’m getting pretty fired up and hating on the VFL media and VFL house this trade period.

So this is Just a reminder that a number of people are blocked by me so if you decide to have a crack at me and flex then I’ll be blissfully naive of you so do your best.

Im here to look after the interests of the GC Kids who look up to these blokes and who have their hearts broken when a hero leaves because they need their mummy or because they are weak and can’t see a project through with their mates and so go and do a Durant and try and get easy unearned success. (Lynch/Prestia/May I’m talking about you there at the end).

Serious question and I ask people to either not reply or reply respectfully. (What a shame I have to say that).

Anyway I used to enjoy reading 17er’s content on our players. His knowledge of our club is without peer.

Is there a platform somewhere that any of you are aware of where he still posts his stuff???
He is writing articles on theroar.com.au pretty much most Suns Articles are written by him. Gets into a few arguments in the comments to them aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back