2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Under the AFL's list concession package to the Suns at the end of 2019, the club did not have to match bids on any Academy players for three years, meaning the likes of Connor Budarick, Alex Davies and Joel Jeffrey all joined the club outside of the regular bidding system.

That rule remains in place for this season however is subject to review by the AFL later this year, with the Suns last year swapping draft picks for future selections in case they needed to use the points for Academy players again.

The League last year put a block on the Suns trading out their start-of-second-round pick for 2021, which was also part of the assistance package.

Austin Harris looms as one of this year's leading Academy prospects in the pool and the 175cm skillful midfielder is tied to the Suns.

The Suns also have access to Jye Lockett, the nephew of Sydney and St Kilda goalkicking champion Tony, with Lockett having relocated to play for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels in the NAB League.

Darwin remains as part of the Suns' Academy catchment, with key forward Ned Stevens – a 196cm marking option – and bullocking midfielder Antonio James tied to the club out of that region.

A group of Suns prospects who didn't get drafted last year, including Brodie Lake, Max Pescud, Ryan Pickering and Jack Johnson, will also be in the mix.

I've had it confirmed to me that Josh Fahey has been approved for access for GWS still.

I've had it confirmed to me that Josh Fahey has been approved for access for GWS still.

I've never wanted a non-ginger player to pan out more in my life (Which is a lie as SUNS will point out when it comes to some of our draft picks)

But the second coming of Plugger on the GC is something I need in my life.

I've never wanted a non-ginger player to pan out more in my life (Which is a lie as SUNS will point out when it comes to some of our draft picks)

I’d just be happy to have a Plugger on my side, rather than watch him kick bag after bag against us. So much so that I have taken to calling Dave Swallow “Plugger” when he plays in the forward line.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d just be happy to have a Plugger on my side, rather than watch him kick bag after bag against us. So much so that I have taken to calling Dave Swallow “Plugger” when he plays in the forward line.
Jye is a very interesting prospect for us. Born and bred Gold Coaster, Broadbeach/Southport junior and has been boarding down in Ballarat for close to 1.5 years now. If he even has 20% of the ability that his uncle Tony had then it's worth while drafting Jye. Another Lockett in the AFL is a storyline fans can get behind and it just so happens that he grew up in our academy zone and has actually stated he wants to play for us.

I'd love to head down to Metricon one day in the near future and watch the King-Lockett duo combine for bags of 10+ goals. That would be a lot of fun for us Suns fans! Here's Spitta interviewing a 13 year old Jye Lockett while he was playing for the Southport Sharks:

Looks like he wont be playing with the academy after all...

Essendon has added a second player to their list in a matter of days, signing South Australian Kaine Baldwin.

Looks like he wont be playing with the academy after all...

Essendon has added a second player to their list in a matter of days, signing South Australian Kaine Baldwin.

Was hoping we could snag him next year.

is JJ just not that good?
Or has the bulldogs crazy depth just pushed him out.

Not that good imo. Has straight line speed but terrible defensively and not a prodigious kick of the footy either
He’s always looked a valuable attacking player but if a major defensive liability then not worth it for the dogs who have some much other weaponry.

He’s always looked a valuable attacking player but if a major defensive liability then not worth it for the dogs who have some much other weaponry.
Crozier has been great defensively for the Dogs and with Bailey Williams and Caleb Daniel using the ball outta half back JJ has be come obsolete

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast: Austin Harris, Ned Stevens (on-going)

Did Fahey move back to NSW? He is training with GWS

If you want to see Jye Lockett play, he is playing in this afternoon's nab league game. Hopefully the app has the stream up. They were a bit delayed last week lol

Last edited:
If you want to see Jye Lockett play, he is playing in this afternoon's nab league game. Hopefully the app has the stream up. They were a bit delayed last week lol
Looks like he kicked one goal in GWV's win. Would like to see some more production from here later this season.

There’s too many young kids with potential on the list 49 player list but half are kids who will most likely never get a game..
Is it time to move on some fan favourites?

Brodie got to cut him had his chances now

Ainsworth has potential but never see it regularly maybe he’s another Jack Martin

Should cut Rory Thompson just dead wood imo

There’s too many young kids with potential on the list 49 player list but half are kids who will most likely never get a game..
Is it time to move on some fan favourites?

Brodie got to cut him had his chances now

Ainsworth has potential but never see it regularly maybe he’s another Jack Martin

Should cut Rory Thompson just dead wood imo
Our whole drafting strategy needs to be overhauled, look at last year no one touched Holland as he was out for a year and guys like Perkins have already got a game, Davies and Jeffery were givens , Fyfe and Nicholls although talented were not the best of the crop or needs based. Pescud was the best performed followed by Lake , Gore seems to be doing well in the SAFL and if U go by needs Pickering and Johnston were the ones to pick. I have been told Murtagh could barely get a kick in the NAB league so how do we expect him to suddenly become Charlie Dixon. The club needs to come clean on whether they are told to take certain players. Have been to a couple of Titans games this year (forced by gf) and they are getting a march on us as they choose the best available junior talent in their zone

Our whole drafting strategy needs to be overhauled, look at last year no one touched Holland as he was out for a year and guys like Perkins have already got a game, Davies and Jeffery were givens , Fyfe and Nicholls although talented were not the best of the crop or needs based. Pescud was the best performed followed by Lake , Gore seems to be doing well in the SAFL and if U go by needs Pickering and Johnston were the ones to pick. I have been told Murtagh could barely get a kick in the NAB league so how do we expect him to suddenly become Charlie Dixon. The club needs to come clean on whether they are told to take certain players. Have been to a couple of Titans games this year (forced by gf) and they are getting a march on us as they choose the best available junior talent in their zone
No Victorian u/18s played any footy last year, they where all out for a year. On 2019 form Hollands is light years ahead of Perkins. It was the correct call
Only Davies and Jeffrey's where actually rated from the academy. The rest are speculative picks at the best of times. We desperately need some KPP help though and I am not sure where we will find it.
I still think trading 2MP was the correct idea. He was on to much money for the performances he was producing

i think Holland is the best pick GCS can get, he and Alex Davies going to be crazy good.

Wrong decision
Thompson , Townsend ,Murdoch .

Thompson is a waste of list spot and salary.

No Victorian u/18s played any footy last year, they where all out for a year. On 2019 form Hollands is light years ahead of Perkins. It was the correct call
Only Davies and Jeffrey's where actually rated from the academy. The rest are speculative picks at the best of times. We desperately need some KPP help though and I am not sure where we will find it.
I still think trading 2MP was the correct idea. He was on to much money for the performances he was producing
Burgess was plucked from the SAFL and did alright , their must be others in there and the WAFL , don't rate the VFL as the talent is spread over too many teams. Holland has talent but on needs we should have taken all tall. Even should have taken Paul Hunter a Qlder as a break glass option. At this stage of our history we need to play moneyball no more lotto or there won't be a gold coast suns

Burgess was plucked from the SAFL and did alright , their must be others in there and the WAFL , don't rate the VFL as the talent is spread over too many teams. Holland has talent but on needs we should have taken all tall. Even should have taken Paul Hunter a Qlder as a break glass option. At this stage of our history we need to play moneyball no more lotto or there won't be a gold coast suns
After DGB was taken by the Hawks none of the KPP after where worth a top 10 pick, Hollands was to good of a prospect to pass up. We made the right choice.
Hunter is rubbish, St Kilda are going with McKernan instead he is that bad.
There would of been other choices

I think we need new talent scouts.. I mean they would look at someone like josh schoenfeld who had 41 disposals yesterday against peel thunder and think they’ve got a good long term project with talent that will be good to go in a couple years

After DGB was taken by the Hawks none of the KPP after where worth a top 10 pick, Hollands was to good of a prospect to pass up. We made the right choice.
Hunter is rubbish, St Kilda are going with McKernan instead he is that bad.
There would of been other choices
The thing is we go too long term, who knows if Hollands will come back the same player. A player ready to go may have got us over the line yesterday. A couple of the Academy kids we overlooked last year would have not made the same errors as MacPherson yesterday. Mutagh , Farrar , Conroy,Fyfe. Ace , Nicholls , Towey and Conroy are all speculative picks who know one can safely will make it at AFL level so that brings our list down to 41 guys we can comfortably know won't look out of place on an AFL field. This strategy hasnt worked for ten years , better to load up with state league guns like Partington , Bolton and even McBean to give some depth

Last edited:
The thing is we go too long term, who knows if Hollands will come back the same player. A player ready to go may have got us over the line yesterday. A couple of the Academy kids we overlooked last year would have not made the same errors as MacPherson yesterday. Mutagh , Farrar , Conroy,Fyfe. Ace , Nicholls and Conroy are all speculative picks who know one can safely will make it at AFL level so that brings our list down to 42. This strategy hasnt worked for ten years , better to load up with state league guns like Partington , Bolton and even McBean to give some depth
If Partington or Bolton where up to it they would be drafted by now. Similar vein to Wil Brodie. To good for VFL but not good enough for AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back