2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I come in peace, Gold Coasters. Interested to know how Sam Flanders is going; is he likely to get many games this year? How is his development?
I would say he is pretty close. He could even come in this weekend as some players struggled against Crows.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I know he was highly touted in his draft year; what has been the hold up? Might he want to come back to Victoria?
What I heard he very keen on returning to Victoria . If Craig Cameron in good mood I think a third round pick should be enough.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I know he was highly touted in his draft year; what has been the hold up? Might he want to come back to Victoria?
He had some issues with his body last year and did not set the world on fire in hist first 5 games. He had a very good pre-season by all reports and I liked him a lot in the practice and pre-season games. I thought he would make round 1. No idea if he would like to come back to Vic. Some BS around it because he did not re-sign yet. The Heat Room podcast (links to the club) suggested that the club is waiting for details from AFL on list sizes, TPPs. Once they know it should be done quickly. Who knows.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I think it will come down to opportunities, the guy is currently behind Rankine, Sexton, Ainsworth and MacPherson in the pecking order.

Ideally by the end of the season I would like him to be playing instead of MacPherson.

We also had a pretty poor game last week, so he may jump into the calculations.

He had some issues with his body last year and did not set the world on fire in hist first 5 games. He had a very good pre-season by all reports and I liked him a lot in the practice and pre-season games. I thought he would make round 1. No idea if he would like to come back to Vic. Some BS around it because he did not re-sign yet. The Heat Room podcast (links to the club) suggested that the club is waiting for details from AFL on list sizes, TPPs. Once they know it should be done quickly. Who knows.
List sizes. Crap I forgot about that. It was touted to come down again, wasn't it? Ideally they'd go back to the way it used to be.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Interesting debate re: past picks. My opinion is the Suns have drafted well the last few years, since Clayton left. Hollands will be a gun without injury and was the right choice.

Desperately need a KPD and/or KPF this season and should be going hard at the trade table to get a good player. Paying overs (trade wise) would be fine for the right player as there is enough talent here already. Not going to suggest anyone specific but a player in the 22-27 age range that will improve the side.

The Suns are primed to rise quickly with a couple of astute signings imo.
Watching the game last night the bombers young gun ( Nik Cox 200cm) is a star in the making we should be targeting him

edit: 2MP was terrible in the ruck, still gets pushed out like a rag doll

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Watching the game last night the bombers young gun ( Nik Cox 200cm) is a star in the making we should be targeting him

Did we already make a mistake drafting Hollands instead of Cox? :) Cox was great yesterday but it will take probably 3 years for him to be even considered KPD. Imagine him to play one-on-one on Walker.

I remember fans here wished Wright was with us right now to fill the ruck hole. I don't think so. Virtually any player on Suns list would be better in the ruck as they actually compete. To be replaced in the ruck by skinny bean Cox in the last quarter is a testament to 2MP terrible performance. The Essendon forward line also worked better without him.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Don't need to be critical on Wright or other team , when your own team is sitting at the bottom for 10 years. GCS lost at home to Essendon last year . If they are worse then GCS ...........
Good team don't look at other team but their own how to improve every year.:think:

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks

Cox looks great on the wing, reckon he'll play all over the ground when he develops. Very skillful and athletic.

There is no way he'll move to the Suns though, forget that one.

Looking at the Draft and Trading board names like Fogarty, Brander, Kreuger (Geelong), Coleman-Jones (doubt he leaves Rich) are the TYPE of player I was thinking. Been in the system a few years, need opportunity and have talent. Again I don't necessarily mean them specifically, but you get the idea I hope.

Or go for a more established player. This year and next's first round picks should be on the table. There are bound to be teams that might want a first rounder and will give up a player that helps us. I don't think we need to draft more mid's, need to trade for needs now.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Cox has genuinely surprised me but we already have a player like him in Luko, who is a better kick of the footy. Cox definitely could be a great player but still think Hollands will be the right choice, we need someone with explosive power in the midfield and Hollands has the in spades

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Said with remnants of love I'm sure

1618035238842.png

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Kade Simpson says he'd play if picked up in the midseason draft.

He'd be an upgrade on Harbrow and offer some good leadership for us down back. Didn't finish last season in terrible form.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Kade Simpson says he'd play if picked up in the midseason draft.

He'd be an upgrade on Harbrow and offer some good leadership for us down back. Didn't finish last season in terrible form.
Nah he has lost a yard of pace and is as strong defensively as a wet paper bag. We need Jez to play, simple as that. Will be painful to start with but he can only improve

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A real long shot but I wonder what sort of head space tom Boyd is in and could he be talked around to give it another crack. Probably would never happen but he is playing in the vafa this year so must still enjoy having a kick. Would fill our fwd/ruck hole

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This bloke can't get a run behind Lycett and Ladhams.....would he be a good fit here as a 2nd tall to help Wittsy.

Ruckman Sam Hayes continues to shine at SANFL level and had 33 hit-outs, six clearances and six inside 50s at the weekend.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Apparently they are looking at Fraser Thurlow from Southport Sharks in the mid season draft as a short term back up Ruckman.
200cm. 28 years old. Former Essendon listed player. Gold Coast local. Looks like he played for Labrador last year and was named in the bests most weeks.

I suppose it's okay as long as he's a backup to Zac Smith. If he happens to find good form in the VFL then maybe he gets a chance late in the season.

Here's a video of big Thurlow doing some work for his alma mater A.B. Paterson College a few years ago:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back