2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Nah he has lost a yard of pace and is as strong defensively as a wet paper bag. We need Jez to play, simple as that. Will be painful to start with but he can only improve
We are paying for not selecting a ready made kid in last year's draft , they forget Holland is injured and Jeffery and Davies almost didn't play. Almost every other team had an injection of new talent. I still don't think we selected the right two academy rookies as there were a couple of others who are now doing well in other comps, some have been starring in our reserves and another according to the stats had 5 scoring shots against the crows in the Safl, Hopefully this year we get it right, we need to stop looking too long term

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
We are paying for not selecting a ready made kid in last year's draft , they forget Holland is injured and Jeffery and Davies almost didn't play. Almost every other team had an injection of new talent. I still don't think we selected the right two academy rookies as there were a couple of others who are now doing well in other comps, some have been starring in our reserves and another according to the stats had 5 scoring shots against the crows in the Safl, Hopefully this year we get it right, we need to stop looking too long term
What vendetta do you have against Hollands? All you've done is bag the club for selecting him. Adelaide chose between him and Thilthorpe at number 1. We got him all the way down at 7 after he was rated a top 3-4 prospect all year. He was the correct choice

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

We continually top our bottom half of the list up with kids some academy kids should stay in the academy unless they’re top Agers or if someone bids then match the bid otherwise just list cloggers unlikely to get a game

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If we are relying on first year kids to pick us up, we have more issues than that.
All stems back to 2014-16 drafts
You might give a pass to Ainsworth but otherwise these are the drafts that should be returning elite 23-24yo's that should be winning us matches
Instead we have a massive black hole
Clayton Oliver anyone?
KK over Cripps anyone?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
You might give a pass to Ainsworth but otherwise these are the drafts that should be returning elite 23-24yo's that should be winning us matches
Oliver Clayton anyone?
KK over Cripps anyone?
kk genuinely looked like a star before the injuries set in. Cripps went 13th, we definitely became a much better player then expected. That one is a bit tough to reach for.

But the Clayton Oliver * up shouldn't be forgiven. Horrible list management.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Oliver Clayton anyone?
KK over Cripps anyone?
2014 - the super draft. Jack Leslie at pick 20. Jack who the experts said. Matt Crouch & Zac Merrett went soon after.
Prestia became Scrimshaw 🤭
Handed the Eagles a bunch of 2nd rounders fir nothing who became Oscar Allan, Tim Kelly and Liam Ryan. He was a ripper old Scott.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
But in the end History says it was a sh*t choice.
Whether it's luck or bad management the hole in our 23-27yo draftees is why we're where we are today
Napoleon was keen on lucky generals not good ones
I agree with you but hindsight is always a wonderful thing. At the time it looked like the correct idea and 2 years in it certainly looked a fantastic choice.
Ah Chee was a horrible choice from the start, the trade with the Eagles was a horrible choice from the start,
Ben King looked like a bad choice at the time as well but now I couldn't be happier.
Drafts are incredibly hit and miss but Eade/McKenna had a very poor development record with players from their time at the Suns. Jury still out on Dew but signs are promising with players like Bowes, Ballard, Powell all coming on strong since Dew has been at the club

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I agree with you but hindsight is always a wonderful thing. At the time it looked like the correct idea and 2 years in it certainly looked a fantastic choice.
Ah Chee was a horrible choice from the start, the trade with the Eagles was a horrible choice from the start,
Ben King looked like a bad choice at the time as well but now I couldn't be happier.
Drafts are incredibly hit and miss but Eade/McKenna had a very poor development record with players from their time at the Suns. Jury still out on Dew but signs are promising with players like Bowes, Ballard, Powell all coming on strong since Dew has been at the club
I seriously love what Dew has done for the club. We are competitive in nearly every game for large periods. Led Geelong at Geelong in the 3rd. Leading Richmond in the 3rd and in front of the Eagles in the last.
I’m just worried that the game plan is set in stone and not flexible at times. It’s such a gruelling two way running and players seem cooked by qtrs end or late in the game. He seems convinced it will be a winner and I buy into it normally. Just starting to wonder though. We could discuss this in his coaching thread for hours.

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What vendetta do you have against Hollands? All you've done is bag the club for selecting him. Adelaide chose between him and Thilthorpe at number 1. We got him all the way down at 7 after he was rated a top 3-4 prospect all year. He was the correct choice
Nothing against Hollands but his long term injury apart from Markov we have no improvements, just think we look too long term which means by the time these players are ready other players are on the way out, need year we will probably be down to a list of 42 players , how about we try something different and choose 42 fit guys that we know can play AFL with the correct balance of heights and positions , who knows we may get close to the 8

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think people need to get into their head that even drafting Cox he might end up with ACL with GCS , the problem is not with drafting Hollands, but getting mature KPP body from state league to help out Max king , Lukosius , Ballard. Sam Day and Thompson injuries history is well known , don't see the need to draft more GCS Academy players or Townsend midfield type in the rookie list . Stop saying state league players won't work , just need the recruiters to choose the right one .

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
At the end of the day you need a match winning superstar- most AFL teams have at least one-we don't(excluding potential)
We had GAJ and often he was the difference between winning or losing
If we had someone of his calibre in the team today there's a big chance we'd be 4-0 right now
We all got excited when were told we were going after a big fish last year- but what we got were some just over the legal limit mullet
Just on that despite my man love for Davey Swallow-Hugh Greenwood is such a Captain and leader.Whatever we're paying him isn't enough

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Chosing Pescud and Gore instead of Nicholls and Fyfe wouldn't have made a scrap of difference to our current 2021 situation.
Neither of them are playing ahead of Rankine, Sexton, Ainsworth or probably Flanders any time soon.

I mean we have been choosing AFL ready draft picks in general.
Took 5 guys that made the 2019 AA U18 team

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 5.39.34 pm.png

Will Gould who was coined the 'most AFL ready' hasn't got a game for Sydney. Despite them having almost no key position players last year.
Mitch O'Neill was the rover in the AA team and got delisted by West Coast after 1 year on the list.

A good U18 player doesn't necessarily make someone an AFL level player.

Yes the Murtagh and Towey picks are swing for the fences. I don't think choosing local academy products who haven't been drafted by any other teams despite much more focus on QLD juniors last year really changes much.

It must disappointing for those connected to these kids, but ultimately, if they're good enough, they'll get picked up and can still forge AFL careers. See Sam Wicks, Luke Parks etc..

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Back in the 2014 days we had Ablett, O'Meara, Prestia, Swallow, Bennell, Rischitelli, Martin, Hall, Lonergan in the midfield.

You can see why we went down the path of drafting outside/speedsters so picking a fat bolting Oliver or a slow Cripps wasn't really what we needed.

Kolo was real good and bang concussions hit so thats unluckly.

Alot of misses tho Schade, Leslie, Garlett, Ah Chee, Wright.

Usually list managers/GM will pick best available over key position. Hollands was best available by a mile. Obviously i/we all wanted Logan McDonald or Denver Grainger-Barass who dominated Senior Football. Then it dropped down to Nik Cox/Zach Reid who Essendon both have and Cox looks comfortable at 75kg and Reid is yet to feature. Both are KPP so i don't see how they would help; Weitering would of destroyed both at CHF

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Chosing Pescud and Gore instead of Nicholls and Fyfe wouldn't have made a scrap of difference to our current 2021 situation.
Neither of them are playing ahead of Rankine, Sexton, Ainsworth or probably Flanders any time soon.

I mean we have been choosing AFL ready draft picks in general.
Took 5 guys that made the 2019 AA U18 team

View attachment 1102515

Will Gould who was coined the 'most AFL ready' hasn't got a game for Sydney. Despite them having almost no key position players last year.
Mitch O'Neill was the rover in the AA team and got delisted by West Coast after 1 year on the list.

A good U18 player doesn't necessarily make someone an AFL level player.

Yes the Murtagh and Towey picks are swing for the fences. I don't think choosing local academy products who haven't been drafted by any other teams despite much more focus on QLD juniors last year really changes much.

It must disappointing for those connected to these kids, but ultimately, if they're good enough, they'll get picked up and can still forge AFL careers. See Sam Wicks, Luke Parks etc..
We would’ve had 4-5 in 2018 as well. Jezz, Izak, King, Luko at least

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
View attachment 1102530

Yep Mclennan, Luko, Rankine, King + Jeremy Sharp as an under ager.

Gould as an underage, Mitch O'Neill as an underaged seemingly not AFL standard.
Guess it's about more than just choosing the best U18 players..
Exactly right, personailtys come into this alot more then people on here give credit for. While we have done a great job of building a much better culture here we still need to draft the right people for the team. Havent seen any issues since Dew and Co came on board. Throw back to the McKenna days and there was off field issues all the time

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
St Kilda Marshall, Richmond Jayden short , Baker .... , Second Rd pick mature age Liam Ryan and Tim Kelly ,some GCS fan here keep saying after first Rd pick no talent is BS . Need to get Richmond current recruiters not depend past richmond Craig Cameron or Clayton clone Kal burns .

Last edited:

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Throw back to the McKenna days and there was off field issues all the time

Not making excuses but starting a club with very little support all people in high position with no experience and under resourced poor facilities, when you look back it’s surprising that it wasn’t actually worse.. the cracks really started to appear once the afl took Travis Auld back to Melbourne

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Left field suggestion here but has anyone considered signing our current assistant coach Kurt Tippett to a Category B rookie contract? I believe the Category B rookie rules state you can sign a player at any point in the year if they have not competed in an Aussie rules competition at any level for the last 24 months and we know Kurt hasn't played any footy since 2017. It would obviously be really easy to elevate him to the senior list given our current injury toll. He is 202cm, 33 years old right now and has plenty of AFL rucking experience so I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest he could still compete at the top level. He still looks like he's in good shape based on the photos I've seen of him at our training sessions this year.

GWS have actually had quite a bit of success with this venture when they re-rookied Shane Mumford two years after he retired because of a ruck shortage on their list at the time and he's been more than serviceable for them ever since. Surely Tippett playing in the ruck for us couldn't be any worse than having an undersized Caleb Graham getting smashed, right?

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Left field suggestion here but has anyone considered signing our current assistant coach Kurt Tippett to a Category B rookie contract? I believe the Category B rookie rules state you can sign a player at any point in the year if they have not competed in an Aussie rules competition at any level for the last 24 months and we know Kurt hasn't played any footy since 2017. It would obviously be really easy to elevate him to the senior list given our current injury toll. He is 202cm, 33 years old right now and has plenty of AFL rucking experience so I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest he could still compete at the top level. He still looks like he's in good shape based on the photos I've seen of him at our training sessions this year.

GWS have actually had quite a bit of success with this venture when they re-rookied Shane Mumford two years after he retired because of a ruck shortage on their list at the time and he's been more than serviceable for them ever since. Surely Tippett playing in the ruck for us couldn't be any worse than having an undersized Caleb Graham getting smashed, right?
No chance Kurt comes back to afl. His body is cooked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back