Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
If I recall we did a medical on him after he got delisted at the Saints. Never heard anything after that, so assumably it didn't go well.

VFL is such a contest based game and different to AFL. Contest to contest work might be more his thing rather than having to explode off the mark so much in AFL.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
You know the answer but I’ll indulge you anyway.

Far exceeded my expectations given his previous AFL work at Richmond.

no one on this board used those words you’ve chosen but, I think it’s fair to say the general thought was he’d be fringe 22 given his Richmond career where he was a low possession player.

im Guessing we let him play his natural game a bit more and given him more responsibility and he’s flourished.

This year he is achieving career best in;
Offensively: possessions, bounces, goal assists, metres gained, turnovers/possession.

defensively: intercepts, free kicks against, 1%ers, tackles

still makes an occasional glaring error but the good has far outweighed the bad.

perfect trade really - good player who couldn’t maximise his abilities in your system and was bypassed by younger players in short and baker. Traded to a club who needed and is maximising his abilities.

Obviously playing those others ahead of him didn’t hurt Richmond so no great loss for you guys but has been a real positive for us. I’m sure his runs and his moustache make him on of the favourites for the kids which is another bonus.

Thanks for trading him at a fair price. Our future third should be around pick 45 once the dust settles which would be more beneficial for you than us.

Now, question for you. When you going to play ccj? We could do with a ruckman and a tall forward. this is his 4th year on the list with 1 career game to his name and out of contract at end of year. I’d want us to come knocking with an offer not too dissimilar to oleg’s if he isn’t getting regular games and remains uncontracted.

Thanks for the reply and a very good assessment, Oleg was very much a loved and respected part of Richmond and also our culture and like Brandon Ellis was a required player but both these boys needed to go for different reasons. Brandon for the $$$ as we had cover in his position and the $$$ spent on other players like Balta , Bolton , Graham , Vlastuin & Baker . Oleg also we had cover and he had been on the list 4 years and deserved games and you just cannot stock pile players without giving them games and hold their careers back. Conca , Ellis , Oleg , Butler are all loved and respected by our club.

CCJ is another story all togerther and he was asked about by many clubs during the last trade period with GWS , Crows , St Kilda , Doggies all wanting him and there was a late 1st rounder on offer which Richmond knocked back as he was contracted. He is very much a required player that can play Foward & Ruck and at 21 years of age is still a baby for that position. He would have got games last year when Soldo went down and could have already been a premiership player.

CJ has just finished his kebab gate suspension and will most likely be played in the next few weeks and is seen as our Jack replacement and Ruck relief
Todays game facilitates 3 tall players in the foward line and he would be the 3rd tall relief ruck once his game fitness is upto speed as he has played 2 vfl games after so long. So he is a must keep for us but is out of contract so he may request a trade

Certainly wont be a Markov like trade with so many suitors but more around where he was drafted and clubs are very aware of his talents

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the need of rucks and talls do we at the end of the year pick up all three accademy players as follows:

Will Bella
Jye Lockett
Ned Stevens

None fit the ruck mould. Pre Season Draft I reckon we pick up a young ruckman.

Would not surprise me if Hombsch and Murtagh are delisted so 2 out of 3 I would suggest have spots.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks for the reply and a very good assessment, Oleg was very much a loved and respected part of Richmond and also our culture and like Brandon Ellis was a required player but both these boys needed to go for different reasons. Brandon for the $$$ as we had cover in his position and the $$$ spent on other players like Balta , Bolton , Graham , Vlastuin & Baker . Oleg also we had cover and he had been on the list 4 years and deserved games and you just cannot stock pile players without giving them games and hold their careers back. Conca , Ellis , Oleg , Butler are all loved and respected by our club.

CCJ is another story all togerther and he was asked about by many clubs during the last trade period with GWS , Crows , St Kilda , Doggies all wanting him and there was a late 1st rounder on offer which Richmond knocked back as he was contracted. He is very much a required player that can play Foward & Ruck and at 21 years of age is still a baby for that position. He would have got games last year when Soldo went down and could have already been a premiership player.

CJ has just finished his kebab gate suspension and will most likely be played in the next few weeks and is seen as our Jack replacement and Ruck relief
Todays game facilitates 3 tall players in the foward line and he would be the 3rd tall relief ruck once his game fitness is upto speed as he has played 2 vfl games after so long. So he is a must keep for us but is out of contract so he may request a trade

Certainly wont be a Markov like trade with so many suitors but more around where he was drafted and clubs are very aware of his talents
Yes required players regularly leave for different reasons money. Opportunity, success etc..as you said. Can’t keep a player against their will. Whatever their motivation for requesting a trade is

if ccj asks to leave and nominates a particular club, in reality it doesn’t really matter if there are multiple suitors. Trading uncontracted players hasn’t really worked like an auction for others.

If he is playing and playing well yes you’d think fairness would dictate a decent pick as you’ve suggested but if he isn’t playing or not performing well don’t think you could hope for as much personally. No matter how much potential he has.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Yes required players regularly leave for different reasons money. Opportunity, success etc..as you said. Can’t keep a player against their will. Whatever their motivation for requesting a trade is

if ccj asks to leave and nominates a particular club, in reality it doesn’t really matter if there are multiple suitors. Trading uncontracted players hasn’t really worked like an auction for others.

If he is playing and playing well yes you’d think fairness would dictate a decent pick as you’ve suggested but if he isn’t playing or not performing well don’t think you could hope for as much personally. No matter how much potential he has.

Usually when that happens its for players to either go home or has been romanced by the club he selects, CJ is a south australian and was a captain at under age level and is only 21 years old ruckman/fwd. Not sure how many games he was expected to play considering he was suspended at the end of 2020 when he was needed after the soldo injury. But if he does ask to leave then that is another issue

But he is highly rated by Richmond and other clubs so we shall see. Maybe just swap him for Ben King ;)

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the need of rucks and talls do we at the end of the year pick up all three accademy players as follows:

Will Bella
Jye Lockett
Ned Stevens

None fit the ruck mould. Pre Season Draft I reckon we pick up a young ruckman.

Would not surprise me if Hombsch and Murtagh are delisted so 2 out of 3 I would suggest have spots.
I think we have to see how they play in respective comps this year to work out who should be drafted.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Usually when that happens its for players to either go home or has been romanced by the club he selects, CJ is a south australian and was a captain at under age level and is only 21 years old ruckman/fwd. Not sure how many games he was expected to play considering he was suspended at the end of 2020 when he was needed after the soldo injury. But if he does ask to leave then that is another issue

But he is highly rated by Richmond and other clubs so we shall see. Maybe just swap him for Ben King ;)
Well if he decides to leave it’s highly likely that a single club would ultimately be identified and it is up to them to strike a deal with Richmond.

in more recent times high draft picks who left for more opportunity include will setterfield (pick 6) traded for a second and third round pick. Don’t know how many games he was expected to play behind the gws midfield.

I guess if he’s highly rated by Richmond they’ll play him this year, he’ll probably re-sign and you won’t have to worry.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
A couple of interesting names popping up on the draft/trading board. Sam Weideman and Ben Mackay. Both are the perfect profile for what the sun's need. Young, talented and been in the system a few years.

Don't know if either could be tempted to join the sun's but surely worth enquiring about.

Darcy Fogarty another, might be more gettable. Bigger risk though. Seems to be down the pecking order at the Crows. Change of scenery might be want he needs.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
I think we have to see how they play in respective comps this year to work out who should be drafted.

Jye Lockett wanted to play at St Kilda as a kid when he was in the GC academy. So as a 13yo he showed his loyalty.

He needs to do something at NAB league level to even be considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jye Lockett wanted to play at St Kilda as a kid when he was in the GC academy. So as a 13yo he showed his loyalty.

He needs to do something at NAB league level to even be considered.

It was actually Sydney that he said he wanted to play for but I think it's pretty harsh to hold a statement he made as a 13 year old against him now. He obviously has strong family connections to the Swans and spent some time around the club as a kid so it's hardly surprising he wanted to play for them back then before he joined our academy program. Very different situation now that he's been a part of our academy program for close to five years and made it very clear when he moved down to Ballarat that he wanted to continue to play for our academy team. It would have been easy for Jye to cut ties with our academy after moving to Ballarat but it seems he genuinely wants to maintain his spot and maybe even get drafted by us.

Are we really in a position to be picky with our juniors anyway? I would have thought we'd want to hang on to as much potential GC talent as possible! However, I do agree he needs to pick up his game in the NAB League.

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
After watching today’s game damn 2019 was a good trade period for us...

Pick 1 Rowell
Pick 2 Anderson
Pick 11 Flanders
Pick 27 Sharp
Pick 60 Farrar

Rookies: Budarick, Rosas, Conroy

Trade/Free Agency: Greenwood, Smith and Ellis.

Craig Cameron had a stellar year and seems like that year is clicking now

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We definitely acquired a number of best 22 players, for that - good job.
Not 100% every move would get the thumbs up though.

Pick 1 Rowell :thumbsu:
Pick 2 Anderson :thumbsu:
Pick 11 Flanders
Pick 27 Sharp
Pick 60 Farrar :thumbsu:

Rookies: Budarick :thumbsu:, Rosas, Conroy

Trade/Free Agency: Greenwood :thumbsu:, Smith :thumbsu: and Ellis :thumbsu:.

Craig Cameron had a stellar year and seems like that year is clicking now
Jury out for those without thumbs up

Flanders pick - we traded up to get him which seemed a nice move. But seen some of those picked after him with more impact early into year 2. Will Day in particular give his ties to the Suns. However, we've got enough of his type in the back half that it perhaps wouldn't have been the best fit. Mitch Georgiades one that debuted against us in Rd 1 2020 and looked a gun from game 1.

Sharp pick - traded what became pick 15 from the 2020 draft to get him. Only early days so hard to tell where he fits amongst this list.

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 10.03.04 pm.png

Rosas / Conroy too early to say.

Last edited:
David King on Fox Footy tonight said we may have thrown an offer Nick Bryan's way to come up to the club. 19 year old 202cm ruckman, I assume that would be preparing for life post Witts.

On First Crack about 33 minutes in, might have absolutely no truth to it, but interesting to ponder.
Not sure the point, where you can get one in the mid-season draft. For Bryan, you'd have to go through the trade period.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like this. With Collingwood heading to a rebuild, now would be the time.

There's only a small handful of players that could even start to replicate the Hodge factor at Brisbane and Pendles would be one.
Not quite at the same tier, but failing that the Suns could make an offer to Mitch Wallis. Still AFL quality and has another 5+ years in him. Fantastic leader (our current VC) but unfortunately has fallen behind others in the inside mid role, and we've opted for the 3 headed giant forward line making his role from 2020 redundant. He's a UFA this year and I doubt the Dogs would give any trouble, just like with Roughead to the Pies a few years back.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure the point, where you can get one in the mid-season draft. For Bryan, you'd have to go through the trade period.
For the future, not this season.
If we’re good enough our premiership window will be 2025 onwards.
Witts may not still be at his peak then. No idea how he returns from an acl either.

bryant looked raw but good in the pre season. He’s behind a youngster in Draper so unlikely to be a first line ruckman at Essendon in the years to come.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Would be one for the future for us with Witts heading towards 30 with an ACL issue, who knows how that may or may not affect him.

We also ideally need someone to ruck the first half of next year as well, so he would get immediate game time.

I doubt it happens but it is interesting to hear that the club are thinking of this.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
We should absolutely be looking to trade for an under 25 ruck at another club.

Smith is 31, Wittsy a very large man coming off an ACL.

(And Wittsy was an under 25 ruck at another club not getting a game.)

Bombers an obvious target, they have a lot of young talls including Draper at 23 who should be first choice ruck.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
We should absolutely be looking to trade for an under 25 ruck at another club.

Smith is 31, Wittsy a very large man coming off an ACL.

(And Wittsy was an under 25 ruck at another club not getting a game.)

Bombers an obvious target, they have a lot of young talls including Draper at 23 who should be first choice ruck.

He is first choice isn't he? Surely?

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
YOUNG BOMBER ON RIVAL RADAR

Fresh off his AFL debut, 19-year-old Essendon ruckman Nick Bryan could be looking at a big money deal that could see a rival club prise him out of the Bombers.

Bryan made his senior debut against Carlton on Sunday after being taken with Pick 38 in the 2019 draft, having spent 2020 honing his craft and spending time in defence as well as the ruck.

It was Essendon’s sixth debutant in seven rounds so far this season, but there could be a play for the young gun by the Gold Coast Suns.

“I heard a whisper that maybe the Suns have thrown a bit of cash at Nick Bryan, who played his first game for Essendon today, a little bit like St Kilda did with Sam Draper a couple of years ago,” David King said on Fox Footy’s First Crack.

“Offer $300-400,000 a year and try and lure him out before he becomes a name - I’ve heard a three-year deal at about $400,000 a year.”

Foxfooty.com.au understands Essendon have offered Bryan a two-year deal on less money than Gold Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back