2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This appears to be a draft I’m not too heavily invested in as what we need is slim pickings. Even on draft night I can’t see us being in a strong position for a live trade.

If there was ever a year to pass the draft this is it

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
This appears to be a draft I’m not too heavily invested in as what we need is slim pickings. Even on draft night I can’t see us being in a strong position for a live trade.

If there was ever a year to pass the draft this is it
I wonder if we could trade 5 to Collingwood for their first next year after they match on Daicos?

Would that be allowed?

Would likely be a top 5 pick next year, can't see them rising next year.

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I wonder if we could trade 5 to Collingwood for their first next year after they match on Daicos?

Would that be allowed?

Would likely be a top 5 pick next year, can't see them rising next year.

Unsure if they will allow it cause Sydney exploited that rule 2-3 years ago. But the biggest question is would the pies do that

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would if I was Collingwood, get a top pick a year earlier, can only help their rebuild.

I think they would be more inclined to keep there future pick and trade a player such as Sidebottom to get back in the draft as it fixes the salary cap and doesn’t sell the farm for draft picks. Sidebottom won’t be in the next premiership team so that’s a win win for them. Jen is probably the person whose opinion on the matter is best

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Unsure if they will allow it cause Sydney exploited that rule 2-3 years ago. But the biggest question is would the pies do that
Sydney didn't do that
During the 2018 draft
When Blakey was bid on they traded out their highest pick in the 2018 draft (was ~25) for a 2019 West Coast pick
Matched his bid with all their low picks in 2018
and then afterward traded back in a 2018 pick (~22) for one of their 2019 picks.

Allowed them to match with all their lowest picks.
Whilst doing a few minor pick shuffles with West Coast and retaining their highest pick in the 2018 draft

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sydney didn't do that
During the 2018 draft
When Blakey was bid on they traded out their highest pick in the 2018 draft (was ~25) for a 2019 West Coast pick
Matched his bid with all their low picks in 2018
and then afterward traded back in a 2018 pick (~22) for one of their 2019 picks.

Allowed them to match with all their lowest picks.
Whilst doing a few minor pick shuffles with West Coast and retaining their highest pick in the 2018 draft

Fair enough, smart play by Sydney

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I think they would be more inclined to keep there future pick and trade a player such as Sidebottom to get back in the draft as it fixes the salary cap and doesn’t sell the farm for draft picks. Sidebottom won’t be in the next premiership team so that’s a win win for them. Jen is probably the person whose opinion on the matter is best
That won’t give Collingwood another pick. If they trade a player for a pick or picks, that pick/s will get chewed up matching the Daicos bid.

As Collingwood’s picks currently stand, they are about 1000 points short of being able to match a Daicos bid at pick 1.

So actually trading their future first round pick for your first pick makes a lot of sense, especially if they look like carrying over a draft deficit in to next year.

Also, Collingwood have to be right in the conversation for finishing bottom next year.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
That won’t give Collingwood another pick. If they trade a player for a pick or picks, that pick/s will get chewed up matching the Daicos bid.

As Collingwood’s picks currently stand, they are about 1000 points short of being able to match a Daicos bid at pick 1.

So actually trading their future first round pick for your first pick makes a lot of sense, especially if they look like carrying over a draft deficit in to next year.

Also, Collingwood have to be right in the conversation for finishing bottom next year.
Once they match the daicos bid and have gone into deficit (if that was to occur) I dont think they would be allowed to either trade that pick or it would be traded with the deficit accounted into the equation for the club that trades for it. Cant imagine the AFL would allow the pies to pull that shifty

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
Once they match the daicos bid and have gone into deficit (if that was to occur) I dont think they would be allowed to either trade that pick or it would be traded with the deficit accounted into the equation for the club that trades for it. Cant imagine the AFL would allow the pies to pull that shifty
Yeah that's what I was wondering about. Would only do the trade if there was no deficit on their pick.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The AFL has a formula in place to allow or block the trading of future picks on draft night, if a team has incurred a draft deficit.

Basically it works like this, and it’s the same for every club.

First, a team can only trade a future first round pick if they hold at least one pick in every round. So Collingwood would need to hold a future first, second, third, fourth, etc, round picks. Doesn’t matter if it’s their own natural picks, or tied to other clubs. As long as they have a set of future picks in each round, they can trade their future first round pick.

Second, each of those picks is assigned a set value. That value being equivalent to the last pick in each round.

So picks 18 (985), 36 (502), 54 (220), 72 (19).

If a team holds more than one pick in a round, the next pick has the value of the second last pick in the round, and so on.

So long as Collingwood’s draft deficit is no grater that 741 points, they are allowed to trade their future first round pick.

In such a scenario, having a draft deficit actually motivates Collingwood to trade their future pick, as any deficit caused by a bid in the first round, must be paid off their first round pick the following year.

As of the last round, Collingwood have 1671 points in this year’s draft, and need 2400 points to match a bid at pick 1. So they are 729 points short.

Collingwood also have an nga academy kid that likely receives a bid at some point in the third or fourth round this year.

If he’s bid on at pick 56 or later, it’s 0 (zero) points value to match. They just need a later pick. Anything after pick 48 (105 points) is easily manageable.

It’s a little more complicated to explain, but as long as there are less than 68 picks in this year’s draft, Collingwood will actually be able to match a bid on their nga kid pretty easily, and pay for any bid after pick 45. Going off last year’s draft numbers, and with list sizes not likely to be increased back to pre covid national numbers, I believe it’s pretty safe to assume there will be less than 68 picks this year.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Also, next years draft looks to have a good selection of KPP’s, especially out of SA, and top end mids, from Vic and WA.

From a future’s draft market perspective, and currently holding two early second round picks this year, in a draft with good depth out to pick 30’sh, this would be a trade I’d strongly consider.

Especially if Collingwood go full rebuild, and trade out a couple more veterans this trade period.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
3 years he will be 100 kgs

Sudanese boys can build up very quickly
Not all of them
Thon Maker stayed a twig despite trying to put on weight his whole career

Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 10.10.47 am.png

Aug 2, 2012