2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nank has missed 29 out of 61 H&A games in the last 3 years, Soldo yet to return from ruptured ACL and medial ligaments...so whoever the backup ruck(s) are will get plenty of game time next year. Samson Ryan is not ready for senior footy. That leaves Chol and CCJ as backups. For that reason, the club wanted to keep at least one of them and offered both reasonable contracts based on where they currently are as footballers, without selling the farm for either of them. Hence 2 year medium level contracts for each.

Chol was delisted in 2018 then re-rookied in 2019, he knows where he stands at Richmond and no way does he get a four year deal. He gets offered this at GCS and on significantly more cash and his family are in QLD, it's a no brainer for him to take this offer.
what was the Richmond offer to Chol?

who’s going to be your back up ruck now?

Don’t know how accurate his rumors are but Ricky Nixon has Sam Day linked to hawthorn Sydney and Adelaide

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_2904.JPG
    IMG_2904.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 84
Don’t know how accurate his rumors are but Ricky Nixon has Sam Day linked to hawthorn Sydney and Adelaide

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nixon gets the occasional bit of good info that gets mixed in with a cocktail of absolute bullshit he pulls out of thin air. I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt until a more reputable source repeats it.

Any reason the Sun's would let Day go though? On paper he seems exactly the type you'd want to be sticking around, but I'm guessing in practice this isn't the case?

I doubt Day goes anywhere—nobody will offer him multi year deals at his age and with his injury history. Likely will get a 1 year deal at the Suns. He probably wants 2. Suns may also be waiting on list spot info before delisting, or waiting for the new footy GM to make some list calls.

Also I don’t think Day gets delisted. To valuable for us with the lack of talls we have.

There are politics at play here. I can’t see why Port Adelaide would want Jeremy Finlayson. I honestly can’t.

Unless, and every year you hear some murmurs about Charlie Dixon perhaps wanting to go back to Gold Coast. I have heard that … it seems to come up every year, he is contracted, I don’t know the level of accuracy to those reports.

Very interesting coming from someone that has strong links inside the four walls of Port Adelaide to state that he has heard Dixon might want to come back to us and that he may have wanted to come back to us in the past as well. I tend to agree with Cornes that it doesn't make sense for Port Adelaide to conduct a medical test on Finlayson when they already have an abundance of AFL level tall forwards in Dixon, Marshall and Georgiades. However, it makes a lot of sense if one of those tall forwards is departing Port Adelaide this off season...

I think Kane Cornes is behind those Dixon rumours.. there's no way the club could afford him when they've openly said they are tight for $$$.
Will Brodie's 2022 contract is supposedly worth $400-500k and we are trying our best to send him to Fremantle this off season. Also, we will no longer be required to pay the $150k portion of Peter Wright's contract with Essendon in 2022. So that's potentially $650k salary cap room we're about to clear and I can't imagine Dixon is making much more than $650-700k. So to say we can't afford him is simply not true.

Any reason the Sun's would let Day go though? On paper he seems exactly the type you'd want to be sticking around, but I'm guessing in practice this isn't the case?
I doubt Day goes anywhere—nobody will offer him multi year deals at his age and with his injury history. Likely will get a 1 year deal at the Suns. He probably wants 2. Suns may also be waiting on list spot info before delisting, or waiting for the new footy GM to make some list calls.

Also I don’t think Day gets delisted. To valuable for us with the lack of talls we have.
Perhaps this is pointing out the obvious but surely we'd be wanting to land another tall forward if we were going to let Day go considering the lack of talls on our list. Letting Day go would also clear a fair amount of salary cap and Sammy is an unrestricted free agent so there isn't a lot we can do if he wants to leave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day isn’t even best 22 anymore. Injury cover only. Even further down the pecking order once Witts returns and Chol moves forward.

Should’ve been turned into a key defender years ago.

Day can join his mates in Lynch and Prestia for all I care.
Been gifted to many games.
Got Corbett Jeffery possibly Burgess and now Chol infront of him

Day can join his mates in Lynch and Prestia for all I care.
Been gifted to many games.
Got Corbett Jeffery possibly Burgess and now Chol infront of him
Stupid train of thought, he wants to be here, won't cost much and is KPP depth. We need all the depth we need, all it takes is a few injuries as we saw this year and we would have no KPP.

Stupid train of thought, he wants to be here, won't cost much and is KPP depth. We need all the depth we need, all it takes is a few injuries as we saw this year and we would have no KPP.

he is what.. 29-30?
Average
Had zero success at the Suns
40 wins from 143 games and 11 years.

The clubs on record saying we need someone to help King.

And we need list spots 🤷‍♂️
frees up coin and spots

Last edited:
he is what.. 29-30?
Average

frees up coin and spots
He won't cost anything, we have paper thin tall stocks. Why the * would we get rid of him? The best we can attract is ******* Chol who is no good either. We don't have the luxury of throwing away KPP right now.

he is what.. 29-30?
Average

frees up coin and spots
Think the AFL has to come out and say exactly how many list spots the Suns will have next year, given that they are gradually reducing the consessions it may not be 49, this means guys like Day and Townsend may be out the door. If I was an academy player I wouldn't be holding my breath ,think only Bella and maybe Ulwand have a chance of getting a list spot and that would mean delisting Ace or Fyfe

Think the AFL has to come out and say exactly how many list spots the Suns will have next year, given that they are gradually reducing the consessions it may not be 49, this means guys like Day and Townsend may be out the door. If I was an academy player I wouldn't be holding my breath ,think only Bella and maybe Ulwand have a chance of getting a list spot and that would mean delisting Ace or Fyfe
Ace will be gone at year's end.

He won't cost anything, we have paper thin tall stocks. Why the fu** would we get rid of him? The best we can attract is ******* Chol who is no good either. We don't have the luxury of throwing away KPP right now.

who says he is happy to stay?
Possibly Not get AFL games again?
Maybe if will if some one gets injured. But who would plan there career on some else’s injury

he is at his AFL cross roads as a 30 yr old

feel sorry for anyone to stay at a mediocre club for 10 plus years tbh

there’s 20year old kids whose won more AFL games of footy then Day.

just saying there 2 sides to each story.

what’s best for the player.. and what’s best for the club

Last edited:
Ace will be gone at year's end.
That would be interesting as the PR if he made his debut would be enormous and he was fast tracked over some probably more talented locals. Maybe it was Haines that was behind the emphasis on the project player. Going to watch the Qafl final on the weekend but it looks like no draft hopefuls will be playing

Chol is a forward and ruck depth, the best we could get in our bottom position (like it or not). No way he can play the same role Day does. He is borderline useless in contest. Opposition KPD would feast on Chol in square. To get some perspective, Burgess got better of Chol when we played Tigers.

To suggest getting rid of Day while we are trying to add forward/ruck depth is ridiculous. Day is no world beater but complements King well and plays his role. Right now, it is still only Day and King as true KPFs. Day also will not cost fortune. Chol and others are still just 3rd strings, 2nd at best. By the way, Day just turned 29 this month not 30. He looked in good shape before injuries this year. Nothing could be done about meniscus or plantar. He played well with King in the first 2 games this year and after starting slowly after injury (pre-season tank gone similar to Rowell and Smith), his game against GWS was good. If he delivers like that we should be happy. Like it or not we need role players as we have to balance TPP and only more pressure is coming in the next couple of years with Rankine, Luko, King, Rowell, Anderson, Hollands requiring higher salaries. Also we can only attract top talent when we play finals or are close to it. Not sure how difficult it is to understand.

Several media reported that Lemmens and Day already re-signed or are close to re-signing.

A couple more talls are probably joining through draft and academy this year. Together with Moyle and possibly Conroy, they will have 2-3 years to develop and make it while King, Day, Corbett, Chol, Witts, Corbett, Burgess play forward/ruck.

My best 22 when all players are healthy round 1 2022

FB Lemmens, Collins, Powell

HB Bowes, Ballard, Markov

C Ellis, Greenwood, Lukosius

HF Ainsworth, Day, Swallow

FF Sexton, King, Rankine

FOL Witts, Anderson, Miller

IC Flanders, Rowell, Holman, Weller

DEPTH Budarick (close to replacing Bowes in my book), Thompson (can he come back? probably not), Chol (replaces Witts if Witts is not ready), Corbett, Burgess, Sharp, Farrar, Hollands, Fiorini, Jeffrey, Davies, Atkins, Macpherson, Graham, McLennan, Moyle, Conroy

Picks 3 (Gibcus, Callaghan) and 19, 22 (possibly 1 forward, some decent ones around these picks)

Academy - Bella, Uwland, Stevens, possibly Harris

Trade - Brodie and possibly Fiorini, Macpherson, McLennan

Delist candidates in my order depending on number of players brought in - Nicholls, Towey, Townsend, Ace, Murtagh, Fyfe, Conroy. Very difficult to judge their development and potential due to limited VFL.

What’s not to like? Just need one more cheap tall depth (Casboult did not retire, can play all 3 tall positions) and a couple of mature rookies for VFL and assisting kids (Dunstan, Hartlett). Last thing I want to see is 8-10 academy kids playing on a VFL team and often they are not the best ones!

Put Witts in and with a healthy list and one more preseason Suns will start killing it. No team can survive the season without a decent ruck. The team is finally approaching decent age and experience profiles. I expect min 9-10 wins next year. With a bit of luck finals are possibility.

This forum is constant negative crap. Just sharing my view :cool:

Last edited:
Poor Jack 😢....

Strange reactions, Jack was hardly upset, in fact he said he completely understood.

Also FWIW, I am in the minority, but I reckon Chol is a great get. Was always a project player and has improved every year he's been on our list. In fact his largest improvement has been the last 2 years, even with lack of VFL footy to assist his development.

He is far from the finished product and I reckon in 2 years he will be a much more consistent player who is a valuable contributor playing a really important role. He's also a bloody good bloke and super solid citizen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back