2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chol is a forward and ruck depth, the best we could get in our bottom position (like it or not). No way he can play the same role Day does. He is borderline useless in contest. Opposition KPD would feast on Chol in square. To get some perspective, Burgess got better of Chol when we played Tigers.

To suggest getting rid of Day while we are trying to add forward/ruck depth is ridiculous. Day is no world beater but complements King well and plays his role. Right now, it is still only Day and King as true KPFs. Day also will not cost fortune. Chol and others are still just 3rd strings, 2nd at best. By the way, Day just turned 29 this month not 30. He looked in good shape before injuries this year. Nothing could be done about meniscus or plantar. He played well with King in the first 2 games this year and after starting slowly after injury (pre-season tank gone similar to Rowell and Smith), his game against GWS was good. If he delivers like that we should be happy. Like it or not we need role players as we have to balance TPP and only more pressure is coming in the next couple of years with Rankine, Luko, King, Rowell, Anderson, Hollands requiring higher salaries. Also we can only attract top talent when we play finals or are close to it. Not sure how difficult it is to understand.

Several media reported that Lemmens and Day already re-signed or are close to re-signing.

A couple more talls are probably joining through draft and academy this year. Together with Moyle and possibly Conroy, they will have 2-3 years to develop and make it while King, Day, Corbett, Chol, Witts, Corbett, Burgess play forward/ruck.

My best 22 when all players are healthy round 1 2022

FB Lemmens, Collins, Powell

HB Bowes, Ballard, Markov

C Ellis, Greenwood, Lukosius

HF Ainsworth, Day, Swallow

FF Sexton, King, Rankine

FOL Witts, Anderson, Miller

IC Flanders, Rowell, Holman, Weller

DEPTH Budarick (close to replacing Bowes in my book), Thompson (can he come back? probably not), Chol (replaces Witts if Witts is not ready), Corbett, Burgess, Sharp, Farrar, Hollands, Fiorini, Jeffrey, Davies, Atkins, Macpherson, Graham, McLennan, Moyle, Conroy

Picks 3 (Gibcus, Callaghan) and 19, 22 (possibly 1 forward, some decent ones around these picks)

Academy - Bella, Uwland, Stevens, possibly Harris

Trade - Brodie and possibly Fiorini, Macpherson, McLennan

Delist candidates in my order depending on number of players brought in - Nicholls, Towey, Townsend, Ace, Murtagh, Fyfe, Conroy. Very difficult to judge their development and potential due to limited VFL.

What’s not to like? Just need one more cheap tall depth (Casboult did not retire, can play all 3 tall positions) and a couple of mature rookies for VFL and assisting kids (Dunstan, Hartlett). Last thing I want to see is 8-10 academy kids playing on a VFL team and often they are not the best ones!

Put Witts in and with a healthy list and one more preseason Suns will start killing it. No team can survive the season without a decent ruck. The team is finally approaching decent age and experience profiles. I expect min 9-10 wins next year. With a bit of luck finals are possibility.

This forum is constant negative crap. Just sharing my view :cool:
Like your analysis , only a couple of problems , no one is going to take MacPherson or McLennan , they should never have been given long term contracts, will hold on to Fiorini given late season form. Have heard through Qafl contacts Nicholls was given two years and Towey is expecting to come back , don't think people realise how stacked your list really is

Strange reactions, Jack was hardly upset, in fact he said he completely understood.

Also FWIW, I am in the minority, but I reckon Chol is a great get. Was always a project player and has improved every year he's been on our list. In fact his largest improvement has been the last 2 years, even with lack of VFL footy to assist his development.

He is far from the finished product and I reckon in 2 years he will be a much more consistent player who is a valuable contributor playing a really important role. He's also a bloody good bloke and super solid citizen.
You are certainly in the minority looking at your club thread on Chol. He’s a Sun now so I’ll back him but geez I hope the “ soft as butter” tags aren’t warranted

Stupid train of thought, he wants to be here, won't cost much and is KPP depth. We need all the depth we need, all it takes is a few injuries as we saw this year and we would have no KPP.

Day has been loyal to us and has give it his all, when he is fit he is in our best 22, I would love to have him on the list still and hope he stays

You are certainly in the minority looking at your club thread on Chol. He’s a Sun now so I’ll back him but geez I hope the “ soft as butter” tags aren’t warranted

He's not soft, he is just not very physical and he does lack aggression.

Adam Treloar's wife has signed on for a further 2 years with the QLD Firebirds. Interesting.

Eagles delisted Brayden Ainsworth.

Is he just not any good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he said no to us last year, and with the dogs now in the firm premiership window, I highly doubt there is a chance he will come to us unfortunately!
Never know. My guess L Neale still may get to the Dockers and Adam to the lions. We are in silly season.

SUNS HEADING TO DRAFT
Gold Coast is now expected to take its No.3 pick to the draft - or at worst split it for two later selections - after ruling out another play for another experienced player.

The Suns got their man in Richmond’s Mabior Chol on a four-year deal and are still considering whether to offer multi-club stalwart Jake Townsend another contract.

The Suns had considered offering up pick three for an experienced player but will keep their salary cap room for experienced players after contemplating Luke Parker and Rory Lobb in recent months.

The AFL has not made a definitive ruling on the club retaining its start-of-second-round pick as part of its assistance package but given the trade period is so close, the league will surely allow the Suns to keep it.

SUNS HEADING TO DRAFT
Gold Coast is now expected to take its No.3 pick to the draft - or at worst split it for two later selections - after ruling out another play for another experienced player.

The Suns got their man in Richmond’s Mabior Chd ol on a four-year deal and are still considering whether to offer multi-club stalwart Jake Townsend another contract.

The Suns had considered offering up pick three for an experienced player but will keep their salary cap room for experienced players after contemplating Luke Parker and Rory Lobb in recent months.

The AFL has not made a definitive ruling on the club retaining its start-of-second-round pick as part of its assistance package but given the trade period is so close, the league will surely allow the Suns to keep it.

Not a surprise. We were highly unlikely to attract talent worthy of pick 3. Especially in this covid era. Still happy with best available talent. Hope the club doesn't try to get smart and blow it. Again Again Again

Not a surprise. We were highly unlikely to attract talent worthy of pick 3. Especially in this covid era. Still happy with best available talent. Hope the club doesn't try to get smart and blow it. Again Again Again
Cant really be too unhappy with the live selections after the FS prospects. Callahan is touted to be inside and outside midielder. Gibcus is a tall defender. Ben Hobbs is like a Taylor Adams Mold. Inside bull, tough nut. Pick 3 would prob be too high for Mac Andrew, but depends how the recruiter rates him

Im more interested in what the Suns will do with their next 2 picks #19 & #22

With the Pies needing picks for Daicos & Dib would be interesting to see if a Collingwood 2022 1st rounder for these 2 picks would get done
No.
Given pies are rebuilding, I imagine keeping that 1st rounder at all costs. Maybe could trade the future 2nd for points this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back