2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would choose Bella , Ned Stevens or even Jack Johnston as rookie Bs in the hope that one comes good as a key position, similar to us with Payne and GWS with Sproule it's a much smarter option than the two international mascots U have in there atm

Agree with this that only happens if no one wants them in main or rookie drafts

sorry to intrude- whos dog did brodie run over??

whats He realistically worth?
probably a future 3rd to dump his 400-500k salary. unfortunate but can go to a good home with a family that loves him

This board becomes more negative every year.

No one even wants him. He's shown to be a very one dimensional mid who could work in the right system but I'd hardly call him quality. He's a dime a dozen player.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately smells like Peter Wright all over again. We receive a bag of chips and the lucky club gets a quality player.

Peter Wright played 21 games and kicked 29 goals… take out the 7 against the Dogs and 4 against the pies in a period of 3 rounds at the end of the season he was the furthest thing from quality. Less than a goal a game

Peter Wright played 21 games and kicked 29 goals… take out the 7 against the Dogs and 4 against the pies in a period of 3 rounds at the end of the season he was the furthest thing from quality. Less than a goal a game

And after 10 years at the club, 29yo Sammy Day has never kicked more than 19 goals in a season. Maybe we trade out the wrong players?

I disagree about not needing to worry about our defence, I think Ballard is better suited to the Tom Stewart type of defender who can take the medium size fwd and help out and intercept. Bit of a dustin fletcher type later in his career. Then he is taking the second key fwd/ruck, sometimes he does play on the opposition's full fwd.

Despite the amount of time Thompson has had off, I think he Collins and Ballard will play together at some stage this year.

I think Chol could play for us in defence but i don't think he will. Chols ability to play anywhere is pretty handy.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
We were exposed badly when Collins were out. The boys battle hard in defence but at times it seems we are always under pressure just getting by to whether the storm. I think though playing games together will be vital to understand one another and play together as a defensive unit.

And after 10 years at the club, 29yo Sammy Day has never kicked more than 19 goals in a season. Maybe we trade out the wrong players?
The biggest problem is that the Suns don't have the correct performance bars ie Rosas has been very poor in the two years he has been here and has not been in the best physical condition at times yet gets a two years extension just cos Essendon expressed some interest. Geelong and Essendon just released Taheny and Cahill who were higher rates players in their draft year because they didn't produce in two years. Losing all those players a few years ago has spooked the suns and now there is a culture that you only have to perform at a certain level to keep your spot on the list and earn another contract

The biggest problem is that the Suns don't have the correct performance bars ie Rosas has been very poor in the two years he has been here and has not been in the best physical condition at times yet gets a two years extension just cos Essendon expressed some interest. Geelong and Essendon just released Taheny and Cahill who were higher rates players in their draft year because they didn't produce in two years. Losing all those players a few years ago has spooked the suns and now there is a culture that you only have to perform at a certain level to keep your spot on the list and earn another contract
Maybe-but I'm trying to think of a rookie or Academy player that couldn't make it in the 2's who has gone to another Club and shone
Our problem has been player development and lack of talent recognition-I guess "getting the best out of players" which is something Clubs like Hawthorn Sydney and Richmond seem to do pretty well
Going back to Mav Weller even-who I never rated but he certainly played better footy at St Kilda than he ever did here.Lyon, Ah Chee,McKenzie, Wright, Brodie,Joyce,even Zorko -these guys could have played good football for our club IMO

Maybe-but I'm trying to think of a rookie or Academy player that couldn't make it in the 2's who has gone to another Club and shone
Our problem has been player development and lack of talent recognition-I guess "getting the best out of players" which is something Clubs like Hawthorn Sydney and Richmond seem to do pretty well
Going back to Mav Weller even-who I never rated but he certainly played better footy at St Kilda than he ever did here.Lyon, Ah Chee,McKenzie, Wright, Brodie,Joyce,even Zorko -these guys could have played good football for our club IMO
In any other club based on their performances over the past two.years McLennan, MacPherson, Towey, Conroy, Murtagh ,Rosa and Graham would all be delisted
The rookie list if you look at the retirees this year is being used to accommodate players who were given one too many years on their contact. Hopefully Campbell will raise the performance bar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were exposed badly when Collins were out. The boys battle hard in defence but at times it seems we are always under pressure just getting by to whether the storm. I think though playing games together will be vital to understand one another and play together as a defensive unit.
I just wish we could have had Rory Thompson at any point in the last few years.

Imagine an injury free Thompson taking the big key forwards and Collins taking the 2nd tall with Ballard intercepting. each being able to play to their strengths.

that is a genuinely elite defensive set up.

Lemmens - Thompson - Powell
Luko - Collins - Ballard

Imagine an injury free Thompson taking the big key forwards and Collins taking the 2nd tall with Ballard intercepting. each being able to play to their strengths.

Luko - Collins - Ballard
My old Scottish gran used to say
"If ifs and buts were Kings and Queens there's be no need for in betweens"

Luko - Collins - Ballard
Definitely better but I wouldn’t call it elite. This is elite -

C. Johnson M. Michael D. White
M. Ashcroft J. Leppitsch C. Scott

Lemmens despite a career best year is still C grade. Thompson has been out so long there is little chance he’ll get back to his best which is still only B+, and Luko despite being a sublime kick is still too raw and weak defensively for my liking.
Collins, Ballard and Powelly all great with the potential to be A graders.
I agree that we have missed Thompson heaps though and his absence hasn’t allowed our other defenders to play to their strengths.

Nobody expects Thompson to be a mainstay in our defence, surely… I’d take him playing VFL and maybe putting pressure or filling in with an injury (pray it doesn’t happen) to Collins or Ballard. Basically, I’d take him over Graham and maybe Burgess in defence, but am not expecting him to be best 22. Would love to see it though if he could return to what he was, as then Luko can be move up field and Collins/Ballard can play their own games more. But I’m not holding my breath given his injury history and age, which is a shame. Big fan of Rory, and his peak ability is probably what we need in the backline.

I still think with Chol coming in we should try and move Day back, especially once Witts returns. His best footy was in defence (which is also why his career goals are so low—spent a fair chunk as a defender!)

In regards to the chatter of Wright—his salary was immense! Add COVID cuts and we couldn’t keep paying that for him. Day is an experienced, budget version. I’d rather Wright than Day, but Day is worthwhile for 1/3 of the price… Even Chol is only getting half of Wright’s peak salary!

We have to overpay and then undersell…

Last edited:
Definitely better but I wouldn’t call it elite. This is elite -

C. Johnson M. Michael D. White
M. Ashcroft J. Leppitsch C. Scott

Lemmens despite a career best year is still C grade. Thompson has been out so long there is little chance he’ll get back to his best which is still only B+, and Luko despite being a sublime kick is still too raw and weak defensively for my liking.
Collins, Ballard and Powelly all great with the potential to be A graders.
I agree that we have missed Thompson heaps though and his absence hasn’t allowed our other defenders to play to their strengths.
I think you're evaluating Lemmens incorrectly if you thought he was still C grade. If what you want is him to be some silky, beautiful kick, rebounding defender, then yeah, he's C grade, but what he was B+, even A grade at this this year was his ability to put clamps on opposition small and medium forwards which is all I really care about. We have Powell, Luko and Bowes to be distributing the ball.

Times he had 3 or more goals kicked on him this year:
Cameron - 3 / 3 (73 point loss / 49 point loss)
Rozee - 3 (50 point loss)
Greene - 3
Stringer - 5 (68 point loss - also 3 goals were kicked while he was on ball but that's a bit too stat picky)
Heeney - 0 / 3 (40 point win / 87 point loss)

People he kept goalless:
Heeney
De Goey
Butler
Zurhaar

>3 goals conceded: 1 game
3 goals conceded: 5 games
1 - 2 goals conceded: 12
0 goals conceded: 4

Thats a great year by a guy who has been playing on the most dangerous small forwards in the competition all season.

Last edited:
I think you're evaluating Lemmens incorrectly if you thought he was still C grade. If what you want is him to be some silky, beautiful kick, rebounding defender, then yeah, he's C grade, but what he was B+, even A grade at this this year was his ability to put clamps on opposition small and medium forwards which is all I really care about. We have Powell, Luko and Bowes to be distributing the ball.

Greene - 3
Stringer - 5 (68 point loss - also 3 goals were kicked while he was on ball but that's a bit too stat picky)

People he kept goalless:
Heeney
De Goey
Butler
Zurhaar

5+ goals conceded: 1 game
3+ goals conceded: 5 games

Thats a great year by a guy who has been playing on the most dangerous small forwards in the competition all season.
I remember well him giving Dusty a bath. Good times

Greene - 3

People he kept goalless:
Heeney
De Goey
Butler
Zurhaar

5+ goals conceded: 1 game
3+ goals conceded: 5 games

Lemmens was incrediblely consistent for us.

He also made less mistakes and didn't try to play hero ball to often. Which used to be his problem, his best season comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back