2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This is a depressing place… People need to trust the likes of Cameron and Co.

Also can opposition supporters please give up on commenting on our list management spot. We get it we messed up we are trying to fix and and move on. Those in the know realise why these trades have been done so stop kicking us when we are already down.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
like signing Macpherson to a longer term deal to spread his money when he can’t get a game anyway lol
And have bugger all list spots

first we try to get rid of him..
That fails.. no one wants him..
So we sign him for another year or 2 lol
It’s laughable really.
It’s how we got in this mess the first place.
No one wanted him? What are you talking about?

North put in an offer for him and we were going to accept but Darcy himself said no. You need all three parties to agree for a trade to take place.

Clearly the club and Darcy had a conversation where they both acknowledged his contract was too high for 2022 and both parties agreed to lower the amount he would be paid by spreading it over two years. I'd say that's a very reasonable outcome for both parties.

And no. That's not how we got into this mess in the first place. We've literally done the opposite of what has happened in the past. D Mac will be earning very little money in 2022 and rightfully so. We fixed a problem from the past. He won't be the reason we can't re-sign the likes of King and Luko and neither will Brodie.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No one wanted him? What are you talking about?

North put in an offer for him and we were going to accept but Darcy himself said no. You need all three parties to agree for a trade to take place.

Clearly the club and Darcy had a conversation where they both acknowledged his contract was too high for 2022 and both parties agreed to lower the amount he would be paid by spreading it over two years. I'd say that's a very reasonable outcome for both parties.

And no. That's not how we got into this mess in the first place. We've literally done the opposite of what has happened in the past. D Mac will be earning very little money in 2022 and rightfully so. We fixed a problem from the past. He won't be the reason we can't re-sign the likes of King and Luko and neither will Brodie.

Tbh I believe North wanted pick 19
And Darcy was just the steak knifes.

so I’m told.

and McPherson would never of been the issue about signing king or luko or Rankine for 2023 onwards
As he would of been delisted come end of 2022 anyhows, yet now we’ve smoothed out his contract and locked another list position up for 2023 who won’t play AFL

there’s something BIG going on in the back ground
None of us are aware of just yet.
👀

Kick a Vic

Rookie
Sep 22, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We still have 24 hours to go and historically most deals get done on the last day, some come as a total shock and have been kept under wraps

Let’s remaining positive and trust what Cameron is doing, then tomorrow night if we are not happy we can come back here and start complaining

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
We still have 24 hours to go and historically most deals get done on the last day, some come as a total shock and have been kept under wraps

Let’s remaining positive and trust what Cameron is doing, then tomorrow night if we are not happy we can come back here and start complaining
See you tomorrow night 👍

Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Tbh I believe North wanted pick 19
And Darcy was just the steak knifes.

so I’m told.

and McPherson would never of been the issue about signing king or luko or Rankine for 2023 onwards
As he would of been delisted come end of 2022 anyhows, yet now we’ve smoothed out his contract and locked another list position up for 2023 who won’t play AFL

there’s something BIG going on in the back ground
None of us are aware of just yet.
👀

Including yourself? Or do you have another one of your juicy intel bits?

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
As always this thread and this off season totally and utterly sucks
but we have all of tomorrow to pull something out of the bag that justifies this s**t show of a trade period, otherwise it’s just a ******* disaster, can’t wait its like Christmas morning

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Probably the least exciting trade period in over a decade. It's not just us.
biggest name involved this trade period would have to be callum coleman-jones... purely based on the number of letters in his name. ;)
has been pretty uneventful so far haha

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We should really look at Jarrod Brander for a cheap pick from West Coast.

At best we have a talented 22 year old with AFL experience who was once in contention for the no.1 pick in 2017 and could develop into a handy leading forward to pair with King for relatively low cost contract wise.

At worst he doesn't make the grade and he's on a cheap deal that wont eat into the salary cap and can play quality VFL football for a few seasons in Suns colours.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Agree that they have some advantages but there definitely seems to be a background over talent selection going on unless you are super talented like Budarick or Bowes, there are a couple of your academy kids that shown at state level that didn't get picked up over the last couple of years , not sure what's going on but Bella is a must for you guys , local quality talls don't come too often.

Since Carmichael Hunt there seems to be this athlete over footy player obsession , your main competitors the Titans don't do it , they know everyone on their list can play to a certain level which is why they played finals.

As I said you have too much fat on your list , of your 5 uncontacted only Townsend contributed on the field last year and I can't see the other 4 doing anything next year so why keep them on.

I would even go in with no category b rookies if it could afford you a decent player in the draft or a DFA
Please list all these talented academy kids that were so good they we’re picked up by other clubs and made it elsewhere.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would trade Rosa for someone like Ballenden or even Cox to get cover in the ruck / key position. I would then delist Murtagh and Conroy and pick the best available out of the Sanfl / WAFL or a dfa. I would then remove the two international players and then try and see if you can make Bella and the next best academy player as a rookie b , you list is suddenly 20 percent better
Doesn’t rookie B have to come from
- international
- other sports
- notraditional recruiting areas.

I’m sure the club has sussed out whether Bella can be a cat b rookie given his background. We’d absolutely be better of having him there if so.

Don’t think any of the other possible AFL worthy academy kids (uwland, Johnston, stevens, Harris) could possibly meet any of the above criteria.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So let me get this straight.. we swapped Brodie and 19 for future picks..
But what happens to Brodie’s 500k salary for 2022
Sits there collecting 1% interest for 12months
Who knows if this occurs but if you take 95% of the cap, you are permitted to use 105% the following year.
If you bank multiple years at 95% you can use 105% for a stretch.

I would think in general, it is useful to pay only 95% when you are a club who doesn’t have stars that demand high pay. When you start to get good you use the extra 5% to top up their salary’s and or go out to get a bonus player (or Sean Higgins / Isaac smith)

Maybe trading out Brodie’s salary gets us to that 95% floor, allowing us to go to 105% in subsequent years if we need - who knows.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We should really look at Jarrod Brander for a cheap pick from West Coast.

At best we have a talented 22 year old with AFL experience who was once in contention for the no.1 pick in 2017 and could develop into a handy leading forward to pair with King for relatively low cost contract wise.

At worst he doesn't make the grade and he's on a cheap deal that wont eat into the salary cap and can play quality VFL football for a few seasons in Suns colours.
A month ago I’d be into it. but a bit concerning that literally no one wanted him.

Edit
Heard an interview with Melbourne list manager who said their list is built upon competitiveness and on field character. I wonder if this is the ingredient brander is missing.

Last edited:

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sorry to gatecrash your board but as someone who has done some list management at grassroots level I think you guys are heading for the rocks.

You never give away a top 30 draft pick unless you get a decent ready made player in return is Ryan Griffin , also a number of decent defenders fall to the late 20s think Sam Taylor or Darcy Gardiner as well as Ruckman.

Also you need to have at least three quality draft picks coming in each year to replace possible departures that could happen is Rankine . GWS have adopted this policy so say Cameron leaves they have Himmelberg ,Treloar gets replaced by Taranto etc . I also think they choose there academy players on talent a bit more where you guys focus on non AFL backgrounds so they get a bit more bang for their buck.

Some of your key players are a bit banged up or Day, Witt's, Ellis , Weller so you guys need more backup.in the key positions both forward , ruck and maybe a goal kicking small forward which is hard as you have no list positions.

I believe those extra 5 rookie spots have been a curse as it means 5 more wages and you have been forced to give away draft picks and decent backups in Wright and Brodie yet still don't have a balanced list is too many mid sized defenders and forwards.

Finally to improve next year I think your only hope is to clear the rookie list and bring in at least 3 quality state league players to fill in the holes , good luck
Guess the eagles are a good example of 3 quality draft picks each year 🥴

2018: king, lukosius, rankine
2019: rowell, Anderson, Flanders
2020: Davies, Jeffrey, moyle.
2021: Hollands (effectively a new draftee) pick 3, Bella / uwland / stevens.

seems like a bit of quality and pretty even across each year for players coming in to me.

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
See you all the week before the draft.
This is the off-season, and just like Brisbane, we have a full list and not much to do, so we did not do much.

The rest is just entertainment, and frankly, it is not very entertaining.

EAGLEROXX60

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
I would trade Rosa for someone like Ballenden or even Cox to get cover in the ruck / key position. I would then delist Murtagh and Conroy and pick the best available out of the Sanfl / WAFL or a dfa. I would then remove the two international players and then try and see if you can make Bella and the next best academy player as a rookie b , you list is suddenly 20 percent better
This is a depressing place… People need to trust the likes of Cameron and Co.

Also can opposition supporters please give up on commenting on our list management spot. We get it we messed up we are trying to fix and and move on. Those in the know realise why these trades have been done so stop kicking us when we are already down.

Understand your frustration but we all want to see your team do well and some of us know the real story. Your development is being handicapped by an Agenda that doesn't affect other teams ie Geelong can delist Billy Brownless son but you retain and keep loyalty to 4 list cloggers as they have a non traditional background which stops you bringing in quality replacements . Until your supporters make a stand your ladder position will never change , the players know what's going on

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Understand your frustration but we all want to see your team do well and some of us know the real story. Your development is being handicapped by an Agenda that doesn't affect other teams ie Geelong can delist Billy Brownless son but you retain and keep loyalty to 4 list cloggers as they have a non traditional background which stops you bringing in quality replacements . Until your supporters make a stand your ladder position will never change , the players know what's going on

Our support base is full of enablers

Happy Idiot

All Australian
Oct 12, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I find it odd you join Big Footy this month as a West Coast supporter and your most pressing point of business is to fix the Suns. You sound exactly like that 'rusca96' guy that had the same issue. You even put spaces before and after your commas like him.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I find it odd you join Big Footy this month as a West Coast supporter and your most pressing point of business is to fix the Suns. You sound exactly like that 'rusca96' guy that had the same issue. You even put spaces before and after your commas like him.
I love the interwebs
So many forensic alias detectives!

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
1634085236458.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back