2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it odd you join Big Footy this month as a West Coast supporter and your most pressing point of business is to fix the Suns. You sound exactly like that 'rusca96' guy that had the same issue. You even put spaces before and after your commas like him.

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
It's what you get when you get people creating accounts just to back up their own arguments.
331BC742-72BC-4157-A6E4-D244FDE55808.gif

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
given we couldn't use it sure, but maybe we could have gotten more?
Without knowing the lay of the land, and what other clubs were offering, we will never know what was being offered I suppose.

And we couldn't hold it past today otherwise we risk having it coming to the draft and not having any use for it, with people low balling us cause they know we can't use it. Hard to know.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Our drafting people are not the ones we need. Nowhere near tough enough or experienced in this area.
Was listening to Hutchy and Damos podcast and they bought up a good point.

List managers shouldn't be the ones making deals, their expertise is talent identification and not negotiation. You need to bring in people who are actually experienced in the negotiation space.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

practically very similar hand to this year..
Except we fire sold everything..

Nothing to say we won’t do similar again next year..

I can’t see us drafting 8 kids with all our picks in 2023?

we have 12months to wait and see if it was all worth it.

glass half full atm for me.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I was talking to a friend yesterday who couldn't be any deeper inside the inner sanctum
His words
"Next year is make or break"
So I don't think there's any illusions about 2022
Its a shame 2021 was such a bust because if we'd finished 10-12 that's a real springboard

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Is it possible we've just set up a war chest for Clarko to come in and land multiple big fish with?

DCSuns

Debutant
Aug 3, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Is it possible we've just set up a war chest for Clarko to come in and land multiple big fish with?

Clarko will probably come in and use some of those picks to trade for Hawthorne players they tried to move this year. Or maybe we go for a Sicily or Will Day.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I was talking to a friend yesterday who couldn't be any deeper inside the inner sanctum
His words
"Next year is make or break"
So I don't think there's any illusions about 2022
Its a shame 2021 was such a bust because if we'd finished 10-12 that's a real springboard

100%
any other year it wouldn’t be AS BAD
But u have the best coach of the last 3 decades overseas on a coaching junket.
Furthering his development to come straight back into coaching in 2023.

and you have the Suns
One of the most talented group of young footballers put together under performing year on year out with a coach out of contract

& with 3 of there top 5 talents out of contract with clubs falling over each other to get a piece

tbh I almost feel like the clubs done little this year to help Dew secure his future with bringing in talent 🤷‍♂️

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Clarko will probably come in and use some of those picks to trade for Hawthorne players they tried to move this year. Or maybe we go for a Sicily or Will Day.
I think we'd all be happy to bring Will Day in. Sam just recently re-signed until the end of 2023 so there is a potential overlap there where we could have the Day cousins playing together for us. Certainly helps that Will appears to be very talented, likely has a good relationship with Clarko and was a Gold Coast Suns fan in his younger years. He may want to play with his cousin Sammy as well.

tbh I almost feel like the clubs done little this year to help Dew secure his future with bringing in talent 🤷‍♂️
Do you think that will become the narrative next year? That Dew has purposely been sabotaged because they wanted Clarko to be the head coach all along anyway?

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I think we'd all be happy to bring Will Day in. Sam just recently re-signed until the end of 2023 so there is a potential overlap there where we could have the Day cousins playing together for us. Certainly helps that Will appears to be very talented, likely has a good relationship with Clarko and was a Gold Coast Suns fan in his younger years. He may want to play with his cousin Sammy as well.

Do you think that will become the narrative next year? That Dew has purposely been sabotaged because they wanted Clarko to be the head coach all along anyway?
I don’t think Dew has been sabotaged in any way, he has put the gun to his own forehead with his inability to see player strengths while getting too focused on weaknesses, his reluctance to move the chess pieces around to see if players have more strings to their bow.

Its finals of bust for Dew and the club has hopefully made that crystal clear

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast

no one will ever come out publicly and say they didn’t do the best they could this trade period with the hand they were dealt.

just seems a little off all year Dew and Cameron said we needed more mature 25-30yr olds and leaders etc

And we have done the opposite at crunch time 🤷‍♂️

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don’t think Dew has been sabotaged in any way, he has put the gun to his own forehead with his inability to see player strengths while getting too focused on weaknesses, his reluctance to move the chess pieces around to see if players have more strings to their bow.

Its finals of bust for Dew and the club has hopefully made that crystal clear
It's genuinely understated how stupid Dew was when he told Lyons he wasn't good enough of a runner to be in our team.

9th in the Brownlow this year (would have been our highest ever poll from anyone other than Ablett), top 3 B&F finishes in a top 4 team and 2x Marcus Ashcroft medals this year.

and he's in the age bracket of players he's crying out for.

Deserves every bit of pressure and more that he's put on himself.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If we couldn’t get mature players in given list spots / salary management then I’m ok with what we did moving assets to the future.

The problem with holding future assets, is they are all off field..

mother clubs are putting their assets on field, we have a significant portion of assets off field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back