Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
STRONG
☀️
RUMOUR:
Suns have committed to picking up Levi Casboult as a delisted free agent.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Can’t fit King Casboult Chol and possibly Lukosius in the same forward line.

Im thinking Levi would be VFL bound..
But why leave Melbourne for 1-2years to play VFL.
🤷‍♂️

looks like Dew will really shake up the best 22 this year
Because that's 2 years getting payed more than he would in the VFL?

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Levi’s only superpower is contested marking
Something we have never had
I’m sure Carlton tried to work out how to use it maybe by having the smalls work off the back of him but it would be so easy to nullify
But there is something to be said for kicking the ball into the 50 and having someone mark it even if the outcome is unlikely to be a goal
Much better than having it rebound out because of lack of forward pressure which has been our curse
One thing though having watched him over the years he will give everything he’s got
Never appears to fail due to lack of effort

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Davis is cooked, Reid was delisted, Stein is a depth player at a competing club, throw in that Haynes is 29 and it's time we invest in some younger KPD's for sure, and I'd be happy with with another young KPF given Hogan is constantly injured, Himmelberg is more a tall flanker and Sproule is someone thats supposed to be depth
Andrews to me just seems like too long-term a project to use a top 5 pick on. Way too light to play ruck early in his career and his key position playstyle needs a lot of work.

Plenty to work with, and I could comfortably see him being a better player than the likes of Gibcus or Darcy in 5 years, but from both our perspectives - We both need wins on the board now with the Giants being in a premiership contention position, and us being in a position where the go-home factor effects long term KPP viability and that we need to win game quickly to convince our core group of young guys to stick around.

When it comes to investing in younger KPD's, I think in the spot you're in right now with where your list at you would be much better off taking someone like Callaghan at 2 and picking up an athletic, developable tall at 13/53

If we took him I'd be stoked, think he has a massive upside. I just worry about how long it would take for him to contribute in a team that needs to get wins on the board right now.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Reckon he just plays vfl and is injury coverage for the next 2 season. Certainly not many better options for us floating around, no problem for me.

There will definitely be a lot of trialling different forward set ups this pre-season.

King, Chol, Casboult, Corbett, Lukosius, Day…

Sexton, Rankine, Ainsworth, Jeffrey, Holman, Flanders, Hollands, Macpherson…

So many different set ups available.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
There will definitely be a lot of trialling different forward set ups this pre-season.

King, Chol, Casboult, Corbett, Lukosius, Day…

Sexton, Rankine, Ainsworth, Jeffrey, Holman, Flanders, Hollands, Macpherson…

So many different set ups available.

and 2 new asst coaches to discover the right ones.......King (M/R) and Miller (F)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Im thinking Levi would be VFL bound..
But why leave Melbourne for 1-2years to play VFL.
🤷‍♂️

Casboult was always moving to the Tweed Shire this off season. The question was whether we or the Lions would give him an AFL contract but the whispers were that he was willing to play QAFL next year if neither Queensland AFL team gave him a contract. I expect the Casboult family are moving to this part of the world to stay with no intention of returning to Melbourne. The rumour was that the Casboults purchased a property near Pottsville so although they will be based in New South Wales, he's looking at about a 45 minute drive to Metricon Stadium and 30 minutes to Byron Bay. Not a bad place to base yourself!

Sit Causbolt in the goal square as your dump kick?
Most likely. 198cm and 100kg is pretty much your modern day power forward mould and his real strength is his contested marking so playing him one on one in the goal square seems like a good idea. I know his goal kicking accuracy has been questionable in the past but you'd have to think that if we play him closer to goal then he's going to kick more of them. Plus Casboult can relieve in the ruck if required. We also know King, Luko and even Chol will want to push higher up the ground so it seems fairly unlikely Casboult would be double teamed by opposition talls.

Here's a highlights package of Casboult from this year. He's definitely got something we can use in the short term.

Casboult has never had trouble hitting the scoreboard. Usually when he’s aiming for the goals. Seriously though, he’s a sensible option as a backup ruck & KPP.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was waiting for someone to potshot his set shot accuracy, it's atrocious. As kreglze said keep him in the goal square so he can't miss or have him draw an extra defender away from King.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Casboult no worse than half our forwards when it comes to goal kicking accuracy. Stats from 2018 - now

Few notes
- Ben King 91% accuracy within 25m. Outstanding.
- Sam Day, excellent king shot for goal.
- Ben Ainsworth <45% within 25m, shocking.

07472E09-E068-4470-9E99-F777B0D13B52.png
68A59729-0852-48BF-BC01-CC705CDCFABA.png
77F0157E-455F-4871-B75C-45F712EF41D8.png
4287917F-59CC-49BB-8D2B-B0491F856312.png
06C786DB-8C7B-4F9D-87E5-10C7C78B8D8C.png
4487C9B4-647A-4D6F-81A2-B110723E3606.png

The club hasn't announced yet, but looks like Towey has returned to ireland for good.

GOLD COAST
Arrivals: Mabior Chol (free agent – Richmond)

Departures: Will Brodie (traded – Fremantle), Aiden Fyfe (delisted), Jarrod Harbrow (retired), Jack Hombsch (retired), Jordan Murdoch (retired), Zac Smith (retired), Luke Towey (retired)

Uncontracted: Jacob Townsend

Contracted: 43 (including one category B rookie)

Draft picks: 3

Malcolm Rosas re-signed for two years after Essendon showed interest in him. Rookies Matt Conroy, Patrick Murtagh and Hewago Paul Oea are also sticking around, but Towey returned to Ireland. A call is still to be made on Townsend. The Suns can have 38 primary-listed players and nine category A rookies, as part of the AFL’s assistance package – but will have only one category B rookie (Oea). They are set to draft ex-Blue Levi Casboult as a rookie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back